Foam-ectomy on OEM Seat
02-16-2017, 01:30 PM
Foam-ectomy on OEM Seat
Hi Guys,

With my build, I will be replacing the drivers seat with a Fixed Back bucket seat but don't want the original seat to go to waste.

The current original seat (light/dark grey JDM) has adjustable bolsters to hold you better but the driver's seat fabric has seen better days, as has the foam.
The passenger seat is in better condition from a fabric perspective. Would it be feasible to fit the drivers side seat "shell" (for lack of a better phrase) into the passenger side, after having the foam refreshed and the seat covers swapped over?

I would like the passenger to have a bit more support while retaining a reclining seat if I do a longer trip and have to sleep in the car Smile

(I can't remember if the passenger side has adjustable bolsters or not so let me know if it does hah)

Also, has anyone had any luck with repairing the seatbacks?

Many Thanks!
Matt
Find all posts by this user
02-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Foam-ectomy on OEM Seat
I believe that the adjustable boister is only on the drivers side. [might be different? USA Vs EU] The easiest solution would be to just change the seat backs and swap the reclining mechanism for side to side. To remove the cover on the seat back, the only trick is removing the cylindrical barb fittings that hold the head rest. You have to lift the cover up and with a pair of needle nose pliers, stick the tips through the seat foam and compress the bottom of the plastic brab to extract these fittings. You should then be able to remove cylindrical barbs and the rest of the upper seat cover. Dave W
02-17-2017, 12:22 AM
Foam-ectomy on OEM Seat
Thanks Dave, it's been ages since Ive even looked at mine hahah.
I'll give that a bash.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bucket seat prices gh0st 5 1,938 01-23-2022 11:44 PM
Last Post: AlexKTM
  Rear Seat Belt Question sleepercivic 5 8,974 06-29-2017 09:30 PM
Last Post: banpei
  got seat belts. but they rolled up MC_JP 8 9,148 05-06-2014 04:04 PM
  AE86 seat belts... Okami 11 14,225 09-27-2012 08:55 PM