Flowchart why the AE86 was good
10-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Flowchart why the AE86 was good
NoHachi, I do agree that honda has some good engines. In total they are better then the toyota. The point is, the perfect combination RWD + good engine + light car around the engine (and even everyday 4 seater!) is never been aproached so close by somebody else. I like the low and mid behavior of the 4age, with some huge timing advance i am still managing to burn wheel in 3th gear by pressing the gas on wet and this is more than i expect from a bone stock 1,6 car. For the track is different story, as the XXXXX money you put in any car will make huge difference from the reference point.
For the Miata I do agree about the excellent suspension and disagree for the engine being close to 4age. Still, if I have to choose between my MX5 and my AE86 i will stay with the MX5, because of the tuning options and if I have to choose between 1,6 and 1,8 i will go again with the 1,8.
318is for me is far away as engine, car balance and reliability. Yes it is cheap. Yes it does make sense, but is a big compromise to the hachi. You get in to a AE86 - you get respect, but you start immediately to drive it as if it has been yours for years. Sheet metal developed for certain engine and gearbox size and weight. This is balance and room you can get from a kit car or elise and will never get from a mass production car, where engines from 1,6 to 3+L are meant to go. Even after years and lots of $ it is not said that the E30 will behave the same good way.

Let me ask you another question - if you hat the option to find a mint AE86 for small money. Can you think of a reason to not to make this your default everyday car?
I've driven AE86 as a offroader, on a mounteen roads and german autobahns (with no speed limit), with only myself and with 4 2 meter tall people and i can say this small old thing makes fun, keeps up with the newest and consumes funny nothing for what it does.

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No AE86 vid, but good stuff cannabolic 2 3,902 01-29-2010 02:50 PM
Last Post: MatthewG
  Why bother painting your car! nmwisima 3 5,080 11-04-2009 10:48 PM
Last Post: banpei
  So, you are still wondering why there are so few ae86 left? olithor 3 4,505 04-21-2009 07:19 PM
Last Post: Eric