Finally got the car now where to start
07-27-2009, 01:09 AM
Well here it is... Found my 87 gts only paid 300 bucks for it couldnt believe the price... Its not perfect. Everywhere has alot of surface rust. and the interior is ok except for my seat and the cracked dash (THUMBS DOWN). But the car runs solid. I drove it home and have been driving it all weekend. Going to start rippin the interior apart and stitch welding and repairin rust then were going to get lower and faster eventually. Ill keep you guys posted

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Finally got the car now where to start]

Find all posts by this user
07-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Start stripping mate, thats the way to go.

Strip down parts and store them with name tage on marking what are they and where to fit.

I m sure you ll find more rust when you strip the car.

Then just go to a paintshop.

Dont mind about seats and dash. You ll put some buckets in and a carbon dash.

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Finally got the car now where to start] http://www.jdmbits.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-27-2009, 09:58 AM
300 bucks! Huh
07-27-2009, 10:31 AM
For some people to start stripping is the best way..for others (like me) the patented MUX method is best.

Mux was (/ is?) famous for never doing a job that he couldn't finish in a single weekend. Then he would drive and enjoy the car during the week. Even repainted his hachi that way.

Solid approach that ensures you will never end up with an abandoned project/ a bag of nuts and bolts instead of a car.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-27-2009, 03:40 PM
I never recomemded removing vital parts mate :wink:

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Finally got the car now where to start] http://www.jdmbits.com
07-27-2009, 04:07 PM
I would recommend

1. Clean it
2. Bleed Brakes
3. Change Oil spark plugs cables etc, battery, brake pads etc etc
4. Check if LSD works

5. If it is your first RWD car "sports car" learn how to drive it

6. Repair rust

7. Start feeding the money pit with parts ENJOY

Hurray!

07-27-2009, 07:04 PM
The mux method is indeed a smart one, but with bigger issues you either have to have a fully fitted garage and a bunch of friends willing to spend the weekend at your place, or alot of money to pay a good and fast mechanic team.

But if you have a fairly well preserved car, than mux method is good!
07-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Keep the mechanicals going, attack all visible rust with some vigour, then give it a once over with flat black or any other stop measure of your liking. Unless you dont mind driving a patchwork car, in which case I would only paint over the treated rustspots.

Then get some behind-the-wheel time in it and see if it's the car for you.

Lots of people go crazy on a project just cause it's an ae86, only to discover it's not actually what they want and sell it again. If you like it, then, and only then start throwing money at it.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
07-28-2009, 10:58 AM
The Mux method! Big Grin Thumbs up!
Don't forget the Mux method was developed his experiences with his RX7 project: he never managed to finish the car and Robokill now inherited that project with its doom. >Smile

But I can say it really works great working in small portions. Even if your car is not a great looker, try to upgrade the interior and fix rust first. A full respray can always be done in a later stage. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
07-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Definately not my first RWD car, The mustang in the backround is mine as well and although you cant see it in any other pictures I have a honda civic as well, but trying to sell that. Im pretty addicted to anything cars.

But I have pretty much fallen in love with this 87 everyone I know hates it and that makes me love it even more. I started guttin everything inside out and suprisingly its not to bad. The trunk does have a straight hole of rust through it and I can see the ground but not too worried it will be fixed over time. Not really sure what the plans are for it yet. Just tackling things that I want fixed. running wise its solid. Going to tune everything up replace the rusted rotors and drums the basic stuff to keep me safe in it. It needs springs and struts, a new oil pan cause its ready to fall apart with rust and I dont want that in my motor let alone for it to leak. But its clearly not my daily driver... So it can sit while I work

And yea 300 bucks alot of people cant believe it, and neither could I its a steal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another AE86, Duracell. Now with VEMS, and cage... Uzelac 62 82,998 06-22-2015 02:56 PM
Last Post: Uzelac
  Its in Finally Alex170984 3 5,263 07-16-2013 04:01 PM
Last Post: Alex170984
  AE86 from Portugal (restoring gearbox now...) Homem Bomba 13 21,570 01-01-2013 11:45 PM
Last Post: Homem Bomba
  Levin Coupe from Croatia - NOW SR86 with IRS ZaX 698 670,248 10-01-2012 08:07 PM
Last Post: ZaX
  Just got my first AE86 JDMjonSR5 6 12,035 09-13-2012 09:13 PM
Last Post: Rascal21