Family man's ae86
12-01-2016, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 11:14 AM by fantapants.)
Family man's ae86
So been a while.
<
With a forced hiatus I had forgotten I had not updated some of the more amazing adventures I have had recently

So for those playing along. I am rwding a fwd 3sge. I'm also the cheapest cunt here.

So I had always intended to run the alt that came with the engine. I had a legit rwd bracket (huge ugly monstrosity of a thing) but it put the alt in a crap not fitting position.

I had day dreams off cutting up the alt to fit the bracket. But Google images saved me from that.

The bracket was made a while ago. It was ugly. But racing black covered it up fine.

And then I set about making the adjuster.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86]

The thing on the right was the first attempt a few weeks ago. Ugly as fuck. Really Shit. Embarrassing. Then I stumbled on some random bits and Bob's to make a nicer version. That's the slightly less Shit version on the left.

In use. I need to find a belt. Seems to work well. It's not perfectly straight, but it's not off enough to notice really. And I fucked up a little bit lol. The rose joints I got (5$ woot!) Were metric 8mm. But the boss I planned on using in the block was m10.... So I had to get funky and make an adaptor cos I'm too cheap to buy the right size lol

And I can't find a pic lol. But basically just a right angle picking up a different boss with a correct nut welded onto the face... Can just make out the dodgy in the top engine side mount lol.

clutch kick, switch, tree .... oowwww
Find all posts by this user
12-02-2016, 09:01 AM
Family man's ae86
Well that escalated quickly...

Not really. I have been planning this little adventure for a few months. Snatched a bunch of scrap steel from work ages ago. But have just not been feeling up to getting it all sorted.

Rear will probably take me another few months lol.

Was the first time I have used my gas setup on the mig. Goes good Big Grin bit dirty with straight argon but all in all a happy thing.

The rotisserie is needed for me to be able to do any work on the rear end. While it's upside down I'll also do some stitch welding. What's people's opinions on spot weld vs inch on inch off welding ?

Thought I'd check. The car is 1600 at the widest (a touch under but I figured a round number was a good start lol ) so I will set the swivel at 850. The swinger on the car is close to centreline height wise and hopefully everything should be reasonably reachable without running out of turning over room lol.

If anyone has built one of these before and has any free advice or tips, feel free Big Grin

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

12-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Family man's ae86
Regarding the stich vs spot, both are plenty strong spots will be quicker and potentially less warpage.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Family man's ae86
Yeah that's what a few mates have mentioned.

I'm neither here nor there on it. But I do prefer the look of stitch lol. Normally that would be enough for me to day fuckit and do it my way. But it is all getting paint d and none of it will ever get seen anyways lol. And spot is much less chance of overcooking it and blowing through lol

So after my burst of enthusiasm yesterday, my condition has gone to shit.

Really wish I could maintain some sort of reasonable pace.

12-18-2016, 12:09 PM
Family man's ae86

So I made this. Then copped a bit of Shit from my mates on book face Big Grin

People's felt it wasn't wide enough or tall enough.

So I caved in to peer pressure and mad wit wider and taller lol

Christmas, my boys birthday party and some minor medical hiccups have all conspired to limit my abilities to compete the rear. But things are progressing.

I have my s15 cradle.

And a bunch of arms and bits and poo pieces on the way thanks to some awesome mates

I'm really looking forward to the challenge of getting this right Big Grin

Little fella got his first set of wheels Big Grin killing it Big Grin

Merry Christmas guys. Have a great one.

12-19-2016, 03:39 PM
Family man's ae86
Nice AC Cobra! But this one seems to be a twin, not a V8 Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
12-24-2016, 06:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2016 07:03 AM by fantapants.)
Family man's ae86
Hehehe yeah. Need to work out some skills with electronic so I can get some better batteries and some more speed out of it for him Big Grin

Also this is the finished table for my wife. She is going Christmas mad right now but is really happy with how it turned out.

Managed to bung up one of the cuts (old shifty circular saw) but it wouldn't be me if it was perfect right lol

So I havnt managed any car related adventures lately. Combination of kids parties, Christmas and really bad skin reactions I have not done any cool things. Turns out my meds have triggered a nasty sort of skin condition where I'm reacting to light and heat badly. So I have been looking at options to replace the abrasive chop saw.

Looking at the cheaper cold cut saws. So hopefully in the new year I can get a bit of work done.

Plan is to have the car running for Targa Tasmania 2017. No I won't be running lol. But I have some mates coming down to compete and I'd love to show them a finished sled.

12-27-2016, 09:50 PM
Family man's ae86
I keep finding it weird to see people wearing short sleeved shirts when it's Christmas! Wink
Hope the cold cut saw will help with your skin condition in the New Year.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
01-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Family man's ae86
Hey guys, quick update.

Things have finally settled down enough for me to do some work.

Only a little progress, but progress nonetheless

She now rotates all on her own. Surprisingly easy to spin really lol. And doesn't hit the ground Big Grin

01-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Family man's ae86
love it mann keep up the god work.. best regards

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Banpei's new TA60 family cruiser banpei 276 236,044 03-14-2024 06:06 PM
Last Post: banpei