Family man's ae86
10-15-2016, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2016 12:01 PM by fantapants.)
Family man's ae86
So other little projects I have done for the car in the hopes of one day having a completed car to leave my boy.

I love the 80s lol. So much ugly going on. Following that thought, I managed to track down some honestly ugly seats.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86]

R32 gtr seats. Retrimmed. Fucking ugly as all hell. Love it lol. We're pretty easy to fit in the end. But of measuring and some welding and they are all bolted in and the sliders work great Smile

Other than that, I set about fitting the chrome bumpers and quad lights I had collected prior to getting sick..

I managed to stumble across a bit of coin. The Mrs gave me the ok to pump it into the ke. So I got a good condition 6speed box and an ecu to run things. This means I have the chance to learn how to wire up the ecu. Something I hope works well for my rehab. And just a sense of achievement learning a new skill (something that is very hard for me with the side effects I have)

The box needed something doing with the shifter. Again with measurments and a lot of internet googling looking at the position others have ended up with, I set abut relocating th 6speed shifter to come up through the stock hole.

This is what I ended up with. It's also my first aluminium welding outside tafe. Was happy with it. Again there are some amazing kits available but making things myself is both important to the spirit of this project, and saves me money lol.

I really want to be able to leave my finger prints on as much of this car as possible so my boy feels a real sense of attachment to it. The old screwdriver handle for the shifter is the first tool my boss bought me when i started my apprenticeship...

Some of the more mundane jobs on the little girl. Stitched some Velcro onto the old dash Matt lol. Sewing can ead. And cleaned up the rusty old wiper motors and gave them a lick of paint.

Oh and early on years ago I managed to ruin one of the stub axle threads.

So I managed to beg a strut of someone and set abit replacing the bottom on my coilovers...

A nice few days project and now back in the car with fresh bearings Smile

The latest bit of work I managed was to complete the oil pic up relocation. Being a fwd engine, it was run at a serious slant. With the red sump, the ok pic up didn't come close to fitting. So with a bit of cut and shut she now sits nicely 10mm of the floor of the sump.

Thanks for viewing my friends Big Grin

Ok so apologies that doesn't make any sense. I had another post before this one but I seem to have managed to delete it. I'll redo it so this makes some sense guys ...

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

clutch kick, switch, tree .... oowwww
Find all posts by this user
10-17-2016, 03:42 AM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2016 03:47 AM by fantapants.)
Family man's ae86
So I apologise up front. This post like most of mine will probably not read very clearly. In the last few years I have suffered huge medical issues. these have left me physically disabled and mentally easily distracted lol. So I tend to ramble a bit.

That being said, I'm hoping this build can be completed while I'm still alive. I really want to leave my son with a tangible connection to his old man.

Most likely he will grow up not knowing me. He is currently 2 years old and a real little dude. (i know all dad's say that sort of Shit right ? )

Anyways, the achievements in this build are not going to be the normal bling and cool epic drift builds toy guys are used to. This build is very very simple. I'm building a car to leave my son. I want him to love it and cherish it and have an awesome time every time he drives it.

Its a 1982 ke70..

3sge beams
6speed j160
Nissan s chassis rear irs (this is in the works currently)

I'll add as much detail to the little adventures I have as I can. Mostly this car is a rehabilitation exercise. When I was released from hospital I couldn't walk and was barely able to care for my self.

This progress on my car, while I'm totally aware it's very limited compared to most builds lol, represents in a lot of ways the progress I have made myself in recovering from a near fatal illness.

Made my own quads adaptor and exhaust manifold for the 3s Big Grin

Sorry for the random nature of the posts. My illness and the side effects of treatments etc mean I ramble a bit and jump around from topic to topic a bit.

So don't ask me why, but someone actually wanted the stock 4k auto. Wanted it enough to come yesterday in the pissing rain and pull it all out.

So currently she is minus engine box and diff.

I'll start work on the rotisserie shortly. It's taking me a few days to recover from a small mtb adventure I went on on Friday lol.

Then I have to track down a s13 rear cradle and get to work on making it fit Big Grin

This weekend here in aus was the wtac event. I didn't manage to go again but got some cool pics turn up on my Facebook feed.

Favorite car was beaus rebuilt 86 Big Grin

10-17-2016, 09:13 AM
Family man's ae86

Not that you can tell lol but I gave the engine bay a clean. Some sca alloy wheel cleaner sprayed on and given a scrub with an old brush. Worked pretty well. The old girl is in such Good Nick really. Old mate who pulled the engine yesterday was so excited that every nut and bolt he touched worked lol. Everything on his ke is rusted as fuck poor guy. He thought he was in heaven Big Grin a man with standards very similar to my own Big Grin

I'm going to pull some / all non essential bits and give the girl some love while she has her skirts up. First of will be the chassis support brackets for the chassis to firewall connection. I'll do some basic seam welding also. Inch in inch off was how we did it with yt. Any reasons I'd do spot welding instead ?

Am getting a bit bummed as I have hit the wall again with funding lol.

Once I have done the headlight wiring and built the rotisserie it's going to be a log slow a log to get the money together to sort the final assembly of things.

#mainly for my own listing...

Rear Nissan cradle / diff assembly 4.3 2 way.
Head gasket
Timing belt
Alt belt.
Wideband and controller
Slimline rear water/oil housing
Trumpets and filter arrangement
Ke30 brake booster (much smaller)
Clutch master and remote reservoir

That's a basic list of purchase to get the car going.

I also have a desire to mount a late model dash cluster of some sort. I REALLY would love a altezza rs200 dash with the swapped tachometer and Speedo. But talk about drug money. Only one I can find is 800$ ffs. Regular is200 is much cheaper but harder to find in manual. Have been googling different cars for inspiration and I must admit I don't hate the rav 4 cluster. Not as cool as the altezza version, but cheaper and would work as well.. But this is far from a necessity. More of a challenge because ...

I'm still very keen to do tubular front suspension setup, but again coin. It's only about 600 in rod ends and materials but that takes an awful long time to collect lol ...

Anyways cheers for playing gentlemen...

10-17-2016, 10:01 AM
Family man's ae86
I thought I was seeing double Tongue I saw this on Driftworks too Smile
Looks like you are getting on well with it.

One note, the collectors on the manifold could probably do with a couple of Y pipes for the pairs of primaries. I think the transition looks a little harsh.
10-17-2016, 10:18 PM
Family man's ae86
Looking good!

Inch on/off or spot welding have the same function, only the esthetics are different.

What Ecu are you going to run?
10-18-2016, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2016 01:03 AM by fantapants.)
Family man's ae86
Sorry it might not be clear for the exhaust manifold. That is a stock beams manifold primaries welded to 2inch tube secondaries to a home made 2 to 1 collector (2inch) and expansion cone. Smile

Not perfect at all,but was all made from parts I had in the shed. (mostly from my old work as a stainless fabricator for the chemical and food and beverage industries)

I had really bad fitup on the secondary closest to the steering rack. A pity as the rest went quite well lol.

But all in all it should go relatively well and math the 2.5inch system I'm building for the rest of the exhaust.

10-18-2016, 08:05 PM
Family man's ae86
Very nice welds Smile

Daily Beater: Civic EG5
Work in progress Car: AE86
10-19-2016, 01:07 AM
Family man's ae86
(10-18-2016 08:05 PM)d3nso Wrote:  Very nice welds Smile
Thanks. Before my illness, I was a metal fabricator. Just about to finish my apprenticeship (2 weeks lol)

It's taken a while to get back to some standard I'm a little proud of. I still have issues with longevity and paying attention to details. But the welds themselves for the most part come out looking ok. I'm very confident the welds a are strong. But sometimes they are not the prettiest thing ever lol

10-19-2016, 05:26 PM
Family man's ae86
damn nice welding........

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
10-20-2016, 09:59 AM
Family man's ae86
Thanks old-school Big Grin

So my week has caught up with me a bit and today was a shotgun day to try and get out of bed.

I'm waiting for some relays I ordered a while ago to see if I can figure out the quad light wiring.

Been about 6 weeks, but stuff takes ages from China anyways.

So I go to eBay and have a look in the tracking segemnt.

Turns out the parts are all sitting with a courior in AMSTERDAM ...

Sent the guys an email saying Wtf ? Got a generic reply saying weather can cause delays please be patient. So I calmly asked again why they were in the Netherlands when it's on the wrong side of the planet...

Yay for eBay lol

Anyone have any great advice heading into the wiring for the quad lights ? I can't seem to find much in the way of advice online...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Banpei's new TA60 family cruiser banpei 276 236,042 03-14-2024 06:06 PM
Last Post: banpei