Poll: F20C or Beams?
F20C & 6 speed box?
Beams & 6 speed box?
[Show Results]

F20C or Beams?
09-16-2008, 10:20 PM
F20C or Beams?
As some of you are aware I am in the middle of my 86 project and I was going to install an F20C and gearbox (which I already have but it would sell if need be) but I now have the option of a Beams engine and 6 speed box which would be keeping its heart as a Toyota.

If Carlsberg were building a Corolla AE86 what would the engine probably be?

Whats the concensus? Honda or Toyota?

Con

I'm currently taking HRT ~ Hachi Roku Therapy Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
09-16-2008, 11:55 PM
F20C or Beams?
heh not sure exactly, thus i no vote yet, honda is lighter and rawier engine, but beams has good powerband and torque. what i have seen beams has profiled oilpan to fit right over the crossmember but dont know other details. box should be the same.

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
09-17-2008, 12:05 AM
F20C or Beams?
Stay toyota

Rokuichi Power !!

Toyota Starlet KP61 2.0 vtec
09-17-2008, 12:11 AM
F20C or Beams?
I've not seen many BEAMS engined AE86's here in Japan (And only seen F20C engined Hot Staff cars at shows for that matter), but the main benefits of the BEAMS would be the exhaust manifold on the passenger side and therefore no clearance problems with the steering rack.
One thing I did notice also with a Beams conversion was the sump sat quite low... But that wouldn't be so much of a problem here, since this is a full on race car which could be dry sumped Thumbs up! Hurray! !

All Toyota FTW!

VISIT OUR NEW WEBSITES!!!!
A Tuner's Paradise
Automotive Art On Film
Dedication To Automotive Perfection

Japan Office Tel - (Calls charged at UK National Rate): 0207-193-3979.
Mobile (Japan): +81- (0) 90-4133-3825 Fax (Japan): +81-(0) 47-307-4678
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-17-2008, 12:31 AM
F20C or Beams?
id personaly love to do the beams aswell, i just love the engine, and the sound it makes on itb's is savage, although that said, the honda as said is lighter, and is a proven great car/engine package,? id still go with the beams tho, its probably the only engine i havent had a chance to put in a hachi.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - F20C or Beams?]
09-17-2008, 02:20 AM
F20C or Beams?
beams by a mile.

the best combo is an auto 3 engine.

aftermarket clutch/flywheel combo

and an sa63/ 3y engined van bell housing to w58 ect gearbox.

the 3s has similar power/weight/power potential. a nice sump which if youre smart requires 0 x member mods (apart from engine brackets if thats the way you do it)

auto engine cos theyre cheaper, and the standard manual flywheel is dual mass and horrible anyway.

changing to the 5 speed makes fitting the engine WAY WAY easier than the 6 speed, and miles easier than the ridiculous f20 box.

the taper of the bell is much sharper, meaning you can push the engine further back, giving you more height for adequate sump clearance, and the power handling is similar.

here in australia the f20s are about double the price of beams engines. which always leaves me scrathcing my head when i see so many f20 swap overseas. though i guess in the u.s f20s are probably comparatively cheaper as im sure there were alot of s2000s sold in the u.s (they love their hondas)

still as far as fitting goes, theyre alot easier.

the plenum though, is huge, if you reduce it in size, you can fit the brake master cylinder in, with no booster. changing to quads though would mean no issue there at all. that or pedal box.

on a rhd car, my boss used factory headers and secondaries.

there are photos on ae86drivingclub.com.au. Anthony is the guys user name who did the conversion, and their are more pics of the set up in

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/...ntry588263

this thread, the guy who bought the package. "dr1ft-pig"

theres also another guy on another aussie toyota forum called toymods, screen name is "celica RA45" or something. he has a club sprint car, and has made over 300hp, NA..

plus a bunch of improved production corollas running them (with the gearbox set up i described, as theyre not allowed to cut the firewall/tunnel)
09-17-2008, 10:22 AM
F20C or Beams?
voted for Beams. Keep it Toyota! Big Grin

5/2018 BMW F22 Coupe
1/1985 Toyota AE86 Levin Coupe
09-17-2008, 04:16 PM
F20C or Beams?
Mmmm... Interesting all Polls on the various forums point to Beams Big Grin By a majority Smile

09-17-2008, 04:56 PM
F20C or Beams?
Votes beams. Smile
I always loved 86ers beams in the AE86:
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/ae86/p/83316#83316

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
09-17-2008, 07:16 PM
F20C or Beams?
OK will see what happens and then make a decision....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  beams engine BGTrueno 6 5,859 04-10-2007 10:07 PM
Last Post: Apolan