Exhaust setup
09-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Exhaust setup
Hey everyone,

I was wondering how people feel about exhaust setups. Asfar as I know I still got a pretty stock setup with a weird looking replacement muffler.

Anyways, what are do's and don'ts. What fits the character of the 86 best? Should I go for different headers? etc.etc.

I dont know to much about exhausts so clue me inSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
09-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Exhaust setup
Depends what you want and whether your turbo'd or NA'd...

I like an even spread of driveability, so on a low-medium power 4AGE I'd go for a nice 4-2-1 equal length manifold and a 50mm bore system, twin-box to keep it a little quieter.

The stock manifold on the 4AGE is ugly, heavy but pretty good to be honest. The rest of the OE system is not great though, and they have a habit of leaking at the front pipes.

On a turbo or GZE, a less restrictive 2.25 or 2.5" system is better suited to allow quicker spool-up.
09-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Exhaust setup
Basically, on a stock car every penny you spend on the exhaust is wasted. This goes for most bolt ons manufacturers want you to believe ad huge power. The price/performance ratio is very low. + the stock parts aren't all that poorly designed to begin with. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Exhaust setup
The stock manifold is great to about 190 hp so no need to change there if you have to much money i think i'd love to have 4 to 1 60mm pipe from front to back

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
09-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Exhaust setup
NoHachi Wrote:Basically, on a stock car every penny you spend on the exhaust is wasted. This goes for most bolt ons manufacturers want you to believe ad huge power. The price/performance ratio is very low. + the stock parts aren't all that poorly designed to begin with. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

Although there is indeed a lot of hype and BS in the tuning world, the 4AGE actually does respond well (in terms of % bhp gain) to a more free-flowing cold intake and exhaust, and is one of the first things that is worth doing to the engine after the it is running as it should be.

A stock T-VIS 4AGE 16v with filter and exhaust, a fresh decent clutch and a lightweight flywheel is an excellent set-up in a lightweight car such as the Corolla. That and some nice suspension parts/bushes is more than enough to have a seriously capable car.

But yeah, I'd rather have fresh bushings and shocks than a nice exhaust system.
09-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Exhaust setup
I'm in dire need of a new exhaust system. I have to have my exhaust patched up every year because it just keeps developing leaks. Especially on the fron side of the car. The pipes connections to the flanges are weakspots for rust on almost every exhaust, and then the flanges themselves where leaking on my car when it had it's annual inspection.
I'm thinking of fixing up a clean std. downpipe, and connecting that to a custom 55mm stainless steel exhaust. I already have a nice looking muffler...straight through design, not jap-style. Only thing I'm worried about is the noise. I would like to have a resonator , but they dont come in stainless steel and I would like to have as few flanges as possible.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Exhaust setup
Hi
.. I run a near stock motor with a TRD high-rise header, a homemade 2" exhaust with a japstyle 5" muffler.
those who have seen/heard mycar will tell you..
it´s very "noisy"
this setup works great on my car which weight about 860 kg dry weight.

I´m sorry sir, your planet has been sceduled for destruction
in favor of an intergalactic highway -Thank you

Kristian Hesselmark, Sweden
EVO-DRIFT-STREET-DRAG-SHOW
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4 Link setup and Traction brackets Jezza_hr 5 9,382 07-21-2014 09:12 PM
Last Post: Bean
  DIV 1 rally/track suspension setup ditn 60 65,644 03-28-2013 11:28 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Fuel system setup 86Pilot 2 4,425 01-30-2013 04:24 PM
Last Post: Bean
  MSD 8980 setup - which wire does the dizzy connect to? megabob 8 13,575 11-22-2011 07:02 PM
Last Post: Project D
  Setup steer-in versus traction Dino86 6 7,323 11-15-2011 11:46 AM
Last Post: Dino86