What's the most likely cause of axle tramp?
05-02-2011, 05:46 AM
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone's got any advice on curing axle tramp!

It's in the back of a live axle carina not AE86, but it runs a 4 link + panhard rod setup that's very similar so I figure some people here may be able to offer some advice. Smile

I've got reasonablyy hard springs and stiff shocks in the rear, the car isnt sitting stupidly low, there's probably 50mm gaurd gap to the tire.

When trying to give it a bit of gas in 1st or 2nd gear, it gets horrid axle tramp!

I was wondering what the likely causes of this are.

I've got and adjustable panhard rod that's rosejointed, but the factory rubber bushes are in the 4 link bars. Are worn bushes a possible cause?

Otherwise I'm thinking possibly diff head angle (although this will get even worse as the ride height gets lower) or the shocks perhaps not doing their job.

Any ideas people?

Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
05-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Try setting the shocks a bit stiffer or drop the rear spring rate a tad..

Could also be the rear arms winding up and releasing.. that should be part curable with poly bushings in the rear arms. Cheap fix to try and certainly where I would start.

Could be pinion angle too...but doubt it. Might as well switch to adjustable 4 links to get rid of 2 problems at the same time (if you have the funds).

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
05-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Replace the 4 link bushes, cheap & easy..T3 or the shop on here used to have them.

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
05-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

At the moment the prime suspect is the shock not being able to adequately control the spring.

Even with the much softer springs in the rear, I noticed the rear bouncing around a lot more than I'd expect.
05-02-2011, 12:38 PM
How bad is the tramp?, sometimes there is marks in the body where the pinion hits the floor above.

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
05-02-2011, 12:46 PM
I had tramp problems with my 86.
When I fitted some Cusco links (Upper and Lower) it went away - a night and day difference!
Like Eircamae86 and NoHatchi, I would suggest replacing your link bushes, as the originals are probably knackered.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - What's the most likely caus...xle tramp?]
05-15-2011, 06:25 AM
aaahh so it turns out the upper 4 link bushes were almost completely destroyed.

Havent replaced them yet, but hopefully that's the only cause!

I guess the lesson here is to actually check the simple/obvious things first haha.
05-20-2011, 01:49 AM
Yeah, bushes are usually the main culprit. Traction brackets will also help, as well as improve traction/drivability if your car is low enough to need them.

Andrew

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 rear axle weight megabob 11 16,897 03-29-2024 11:18 AM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Axle width totta Crolla 1 678 10-24-2023 12:20 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Most stock-resembling exhaust for the AE86? DaLanZhu 4 4,907 03-24-2019 04:10 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Rear axle options Dino86 13 11,457 01-08-2018 10:19 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Rebuild rear disc brakes toyota crown ms112 axle bozu 0 3,530 12-21-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: bozu