Engine $$$
01-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Engine $$$
I'm still thinking about my next car. Tomorow I'm going to check a Corolla and a 200sx. The 200sx has a new engine rebuild etc so it's a good candidate. If I'm going for the corolla I defenatly need a more powerfull engine. Maybe above 170hp.

On Bill's page mods are shown, but what about the prices? Howmuch would it cost to build a 170hp streetengine(with torque down low)? It should also include labor for honing etc and putting the engine toghether.
Find all posts by this user
01-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Engine $$$
Drop in a standard 4agze...most reliable and strong torque down low.
Costs around 1700 euro's for complete engine with ecu and wiring loom usually. Pretty straight forward swap from what I've heard. I dont see a 4age making good bottom end torque and a reliable 170 hp for that kind of money..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Engine $$$
The stock ECU will work with boost up to 0.3 bar. Stock CR is 9.4:1 - so you can run at 0.3 bar without so much changes. About 170 hp - my estimation for 0.3 bar setup will be ~150-155 hp but torque will be increased, not RPM where max. power comes - i.e. "streetability" will be improved!
01-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Engine $$$
I can live without lots of torque down low, but it shouldn't be nothing if you know what I mean. But on 4agclub the 4agze swap didn't seem that easy or isn't it?

But can someone give me a pricerange to get to around 170 N/A hp?
01-06-2005, 12:40 AM
Engine $$$
What are you going to do with your car then? Do some red-light-runs? Confused

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Engine $$$]
01-06-2005, 01:58 AM
Engine $$$
Well if you like driving it up the nordschleiffe you could do with some torque for the uphills, otherwise I think it doesnt quite fit the character of the ae86 (hasn't prevented me from thinking of 4agze/gte projects for my own car though).

As far as 160+ hp NA 16v 4age is concerned,
You'll be looking at pistons, camshafts and the little things like valve springs, Including new parts for a good rebuild I think you would still end up around:
cams: 500 for a pair of 288.
pistons: 400 for wiseco with a bit of luck.
valvesprings: 140from trd.
pumps gaskets etc: another 3-400.
ARP bolts:..dunno
Aftermarket computer:..a lot.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Engine $$$
Aico,

First learn the car as it is mate, you'll be surprised what you can do with the stock 130hp, you might find that some mild tuning will already fit your needs.

If you do want power, low or high, I'd just go supercharged. Its more fun for a fraction fo the price. May take the n/a out of your ride but your wallet will for ever be thankfull.

Besides, your money should first and foremost go to:
- new bushings
- better shocks
- better springs
- camber plates
- RCAs
- 2way LSD
etc. before you even start thinking about putting alot of $$$ in the engine. Without that any power upgrade to the car will just make it alot less fun because you will be constantly battling the weak and warn out suspention on the Hachi, esp. for what you intent to use it.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
01-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Engine $$$
I would guess, that to get an AE86 up to those hp levels, you'd need a lot of knowledge. Knowing how to rebuild an engine, choosing correct components that work together, knowing how to tune the EMS etc etc.

If you have to buy this expertise, costs start to rise exponentially. Figure around 40E an hour minimum and its a multi-day job to get that thing up and running.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  toyota a series engine....can a fwd corolla engine be used 210 datsun guy 5 7,642 10-30-2013 11:18 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Need engine,any engine Apolan 25 16,404 10-29-2006 06:55 PM
Last Post: ZaX