Electric fan setups
11-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Electric fan setups
Pontiac Fiero electric fans bolt up perfectly... althought I dunno if you guys have those cars over there in Europe....

"Sometimes giving up isn't the answer we're looking for, but its the only answer we have"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Electric fan setups
Plex, we have them here, still have to find one myself, they are a perfect fit on an RX7 aswellSmile

Kristian, I think you're overdoing it on the cooling mate. NoHachi got a really good point. When the car needs cooling the thermostat will be open anyways, it is only closed during warmup. Removing it only makes your car take longer to get to good working conditions. You might be better off finding a thermostat that opens a few degrees 'earlier' if you are worried about your car heating up to quickly for the thermostat to respond.

The dual fan setup I can imagine as you do alot of lowspeed driving so you dont have 'driving' wind to cool your engine. But basically the fans only do their work when you're car is standing still or moving at low speeds. At higher speeds driving wind is more then what your fans pump around anyways.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
11-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Electric fan setups
NoHachi Wrote:Kristian, without a thermostat the car would take ages to warm up. Something like 10 to 15 minutes. Do you wait that long for it to get up to temp? If not you could be doing a lot of damage.
He turns them on and off from inside the. That way he doesnt have that problem Smile

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Electric fan setups]
11-19-2004, 11:07 AM
Electric fan setups
Whow, hold on for a minute, we are mixing up 2 things here.

Thermostat is that little metal plate inside of your coolent passage that regulates whether coolent circulates within the engine only or is actually send to the radiator. When the engine is cold there is no flow of coolent through your radiator only inside your engine.

Thermoswitch is the little sensor inside your coolent plumbing that regulates whether the fans switch on or off depending on temparature.

If Kristian removed the thermoswitch that is sortof okay although you have to realize that the temparature meter on your dash is hardly accurate enough to switch your fans on and off at the right time so I would advise against that.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
11-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Electric fan setups
http://www.dreamsofdrifting.com/main/DODMain.htm

nice electric fan guide for ae86

2 plex: tnx god we don't have pontiac fiero's in EU.

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
11-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Electric fan setups
NoHachi Wrote:Kristian, without a thermostat the car would take ages to warm up. Something like 10 to 15 minutes. Do you wait that long for it to get up to temp? If not you could be doing a lot of damage.

NoHachi my man;

When i drive my car i always let it stay on neutral for al least 3-5 minutes.

&.... 5-8 minutes calm driving get the engine onto working temperature.

At this point the enginge oil is still not warm enough in order to puch hard.

engine oil akes about 20-25 minutes to heat up.
I always have the fans switched off untill the engine reaches about 75% on the temp-guage. then i swith tem on.

I have a special mixture of 92/AE86 waterpump - without the housing for the thermostat... Anyways - no real racecar has an thermostat attached Smile & my car tends to over heat quite easily.

But i´ll soon attach an potensiometer which will direct the fans to the right speed.

I like my engine´s running cold . below 85 degrees.

Mux: true.. a lot of slow driving without wind-cooling - therefor the fans are connected as follows...
front fan - puches air through radiator - rear fan suchs air from radiator.

K

I´m sorry sir, your planet has been sceduled for destruction
in favor of an intergalactic highway -Thank you

Kristian Hesselmark, Sweden
EVO-DRIFT-STREET-DRAG-SHOW
11-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Electric fan setups
Kristian. Even real racecars have thermostats, honest i've built one and been around several ones. The thermostat is there for a reason. The engine heats up MUCH faster so the oil heats up faster too. This protects you engine from wear and helps build up a oil film on bearing surfaces and the cyl.wall.
There are plenty thermostats out there that have enough capacity to flow the amount you want. To be honest..a cooling system doesn't flow that much at all. If you're woried about that just take one from a bigger car.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
11-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Electric fan setups
NiHachi.. i cannot agree with you on this...

not all racecars have themostat..

anyways.... Cool

My car tends to run hot when i drive....
this is part the reason i run this setup.

.. anyways.. i like it like this & it works for me

K Smile Hurray! Wave Thumbs up! Big Grin

I´m sorry sir, your planet has been sceduled for destruction
in favor of an intergalactic highway -Thank you

Kristian Hesselmark, Sweden
EVO-DRIFT-STREET-DRAG-SHOW
01-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Electric fan setups
An example of electric fan setup:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Electric fan setups
Kristian,

Mayby your car is heating up becourse the water is flowing fast enught(can´t spell that)

Have you read the book by Graham Bell "Fourstroke performance tuning".

Hi stats that there are alot of car that can head up to much ,if driving without a thermostat,becourse of the flow speed.

Regards,from the other side of the water,
Skassa

Any fool can go fast in a straight line.
VEMS Blacktop 4AGTE20V 272hp/350nm
"""www.turbotoys.dk"""

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  electric water pump?? Uzelac 8 11,785 04-09-2012 05:20 PM
Last Post: Jimmi The Kid
  Electric Power Steering - What options are available Rasteirinho 15 23,609 02-29-2012 07:10 PM
  Electric steering column, need help please! Jimmi The Kid 12 19,674 02-29-2012 07:04 PM
  Electric Power Steering Pump Jezza_hr 5 10,347 09-02-2011 09:25 AM
Last Post: Lauren
  Electric Fan Rasteirinho 3 4,729 08-17-2011 03:27 AM
Last Post: bozu