Electric fan setups
11-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Electric fan setups
Okay, I'm planning to convert to an electric fan sometime in the near future, but I'm having a few second thoughts about all the setups I have found on other hachi forums.

First a short explanation of the basic setup, I think most of you already know about it.

I have bought a new water pump, but it's aftermarket, and I'm not sure if it will survive the viscous fan. Now I have nothing against the OEM fan setup, I just want to be able to use cheaper and easier to find waterpumps. Others state that the reduction of rotating mass (and resistance since it displaces air) will make the engine response better.

It is possible to use the AE92 thermostat inlet tube instead of the original ae86 one, the ae92 GTi inlet has a thermo-switch installed in it.

Now this thermo switch is normally closed. meaning it has very little resistance when cold. To use it you need a normally closed relay (toyota 90987-03001 relay). Below a basic schematic, not one I would recommend since it would slowly drain power from the battery to keep the fan off when the car is parked.

To use this circuit without using any power with the ignition off, you would need 2 additional relays. To stick to OEM ae92 wiring, the switching wire should be tapped from the ignition relay, the main power supply should come from the engine main relay. Now here are the few concerns I still have: How much power does an electric fan use? The 3001 relay is rated for 15A, I can imagine a fan drawing larger currents than that.
Second is how will the engine main fuse and relay cope with the additional load? I have tried measuring the resistance of the thermoswitch in boiled water, I couldnt get it higher than 80 ohms myself, this means that the relay would be operated with 200mA when shut off, and 80mA when it is supposed to be working.....

Arghh..let me know if any of you have opinions on this matter..

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Electric fan setups
have no idea.... But I reply cous I can't see the picture. I have noticed this in a few other posts aswell. It only occurs when the image is hosted on this website. Confused
Find all posts by this user
11-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Electric fan setups
bjelke,

Are you still using the old http://www.trueno.org URL? Try coming to this site with the http://www.aeu86.org URL

Else try to logout of the site completely, close all your browsers, and log back in.

The reason you don't see them most likely has to do with the protection of linking to pictures on our server from other sites.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
11-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Electric fan setups
Ivan,

I would put the thermoswitch on the ignition like you suggest but I would actually put the fan directly on the battery,not through the main engine relais. Just put a fuse inbetween just in case you're fan motor brakes. Your relais will cut power to it when off anyways.

The reason is very simple. What you could do now is add a delay timer to the circuit. Something that causes the fan to run for another minute or so after the ignition is turned off. Especially with a fan mounted between the radiator and the engine is one that will keep blowing air past your engine after you've switched off. I've heard its better for your engine as the cooling stops when you turn off the ignition but there is still alot of heat inside your engine that can't get away.

Also you wont stress the engine relaisSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

11-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Electric fan setups
You're mistaken Mux,
The relay will only cut power to the fan when it is energized, meaning you need the switching circuit to keep it off. If you would not have a relay in the power supply it would keep on running indefinately. The relay in the pic above is Normally Closed (NC), so the fan only works when the relay is at rest (no switching current).
The nature of this circuit makes adding a delay switch pretty damn difficult. If it where a normally open relay things would be a lot easier. I've read that some hyundai thermoswitches wil fit the toyota housing and work that way, then you could simply add a nicely sized capacitor to the switching circuit.. Might be a solution, though I dont see the point really...the viscous fan doesnt do anything after shutting off either, and 4age's reach respectable ages. I'm going to use a pushing fan by the way, so this effect would be negligable in my setup.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
11-18-2004, 06:01 PM
Electric fan setups
Damn your right.....

Sorta makes sence though, if the sensor ever broke then the fan would be on perminently.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

11-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Electric fan setups
I just tried doing another reading of the sensor with water out of a water cooker. I got a max reading of 180 ohms from it. It is supposed to switch around 95 degree's I think, so that's hard to test using water that isnt boiling at the moment of measuring. Anyway, 180 would give a currect of about 50mA, It's a shame I dont have a labsupply to test the operation of the relay at this current. The fact that the thermoswitch is not a hard on/off type switch also makes me think that there is a need for some sort of hysteresis, to avoid it switching like wild when the collant temp is around 90-100 degree's.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
11-19-2004, 02:17 AM
Electric fan setups
I do NOT have a thermostat attached. I also have an AE92 waterpump

- Since i drive my car very HARD - i do want the cooling water to flow free all the time.

This gives me just that extra second to shut down when needed.

I have twin electric fans mounted - one on each side of the radiator.

connected to a switch inside the car.

works just fine.

K

I´m sorry sir, your planet has been sceduled for destruction
in favor of an intergalactic highway -Thank you

Kristian Hesselmark, Sweden
EVO-DRIFT-STREET-DRAG-SHOW
11-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Electric fan setups
Hmmmz the racer from jasper went on electric fans i am not so fan about it i don't like the setup.

The fan on the water pump can be switched with a lighter fan only then it will always run full speed.

Isn't it possible to change to a complete difrent system than air cooling

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
11-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Electric fan setups
Kristian, without a thermostat the car would take ages to warm up. Something like 10 to 15 minutes. Do you wait that long for it to get up to temp? If not you could be doing a lot of damage.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  electric water pump?? Uzelac 8 11,784 04-09-2012 05:20 PM
Last Post: Jimmi The Kid
  Electric Power Steering - What options are available Rasteirinho 15 23,608 02-29-2012 07:10 PM
  Electric steering column, need help please! Jimmi The Kid 12 19,674 02-29-2012 07:04 PM
  Electric Power Steering Pump Jezza_hr 5 10,347 09-02-2011 09:25 AM
Last Post: Lauren
  Electric Fan Rasteirinho 3 4,727 08-17-2011 03:27 AM
Last Post: bozu