Drifting with stock power on the dry
04-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Oh boy, he´s revving that engine like hell, but i like it Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
04-19-2007, 08:36 PM
NoHachi Wrote:Seems like his throttle is stuck in the open position Smile
I wonder if that car still has a throttle, it's probably been removed, just one big gaping air hole sucking in powerSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
04-19-2007, 09:17 PM
how long will this engine last? Smile
04-19-2007, 09:50 PM
AshCampbell Wrote:how long will this engine last? Smile
The reason the white hachi no longer rides, is due to a blown engineSad

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

04-19-2007, 11:04 PM
if u wanna drift, get 6kgrear springs, set dampers to full hard, weld another swaybar on.... then go have some fun
05-04-2007, 11:23 AM
It's hard to drift with underpower (stock engine). On close,slow sections it's ok but when You need speed and power - You cannot drift anymore.

see this on my short vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbNimtMQcgY

IF Carlsberg made an AE86, then it would be propably the best car in the world...
05-04-2007, 01:36 PM
I just hadd a bit of track time last saturday - actually my first Smile What I learned was that rear shocks has to be as hard as possible and you need high tire pressure too. Bushings makes it a lot easier too Wink

I could get it sideways but not that much since this was a first for me and there wasn't too far to the fences.

My setup:
Stock blue top
Poly bushings
TRD 8 / 6 kg/mm springs
TRD dampers
Rebuild stock LSD
Quaife steering rack
Shitty no name tires all around

Before going again I would to get some front tires with more grip and some camber plates. I dont believe that new sway bars is nessesary - yet any ways Wink I could easily play a bit more with tire pressure and damper settings (for grip driving) but thats different story...

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Drifting with stock power on the dry]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Uhm:

6.5kg front, 4.5kg rear springs.
Tokico HTS front (highest setting), KONI rear (mid setting)
RCAs
Poly bushings
1.9bar pressure in all 4 tires.
Bridgestone RE720 Potenza's with PLENTY of grip (grip timed laps on sunday were top 3 of the day)
And my diff currently doesn't lock to well Smile
Owh, and 25+ degrees and it hadn't rained for days..
Not me driving btw.

Actually currently my car is VERY easy to get into a drift, I still suck at it but I even managed some combination drifts last Sunday. I just need more practice.

P.S. Jan, you are right, stiffening up the rear suspention helps make the car easier to oversteer (you sacrefice grip), my car doesn't have such a setup since I primairely use my car for grip driving.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

05-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Stiffening the rear suspension will take away some grip. But since I haven't got some nice tires I just had some fun going sideways Cool I could addjust the dampers quite easy so I tweaked a bit. I middle position it was close to neutral but could be provoked pretty easily. At the highest level I got more angle and it simply was easier Smile

BTW I think that you could get even more grip with a bit higher tire pressure...

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Jan,

The tire pressure has a bit of a story...

I put 2.5 bar in my tires at a gas station with one of those digital air things before running around Zandvoort.

Then on Lelystad Robokill drove my car for a bit on our way up there and mentioned my tire pressure was to high because the car was way to easy to drift (plainly mentioning this going sideways at 80 or so over a big crossing) and told me we should take some pressure out because we're were going to do gripdriving today.

So at Lelystad we asked around and one of the guys had a tire pressure meter and it measure over 3.5 bars in my tires!! WTF?!?!

So we took it down to 2.5 bars again assuming the air system at the gaspump was wrong. Turned out however the tire pressure meter wasn't very accurate, we later on measured and turned out the tires were actually at 1.9 bars now.

But at Lelystad we don't have an airpump to inflate the tires, so we had to make due.

Lelystad a year or so back driving Robokills car on 8Kg/7Kg and having tire pressure available (tire fitter was helping us out) we started playing around with tire pressure. He found that with the tires he had back then and his car setup, his fastest laps where with 2.1 to 2.2 bar in his tires.

P.S. having a car with very neutral balance I actually like very much even when drifting. Having it oversteer to easily just gives you a very messy oversteer. Atleast thats what I feel right now, not being very experienced in this field.Smile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best setup for drifting... Okami 68 84,160 01-19-2012 11:20 PM
Last Post: Okami
  Drifting Lelystad New Vid check bottom Okami 9 15,884 03-14-2011 10:47 PM
  DRIFTING IN ROMANIA spawns 5 8,841 09-09-2010 01:32 PM
Last Post: spawns
  Indie feature documentary on drifting – calls for stories emptykingdom 2 8,198 05-18-2010 12:05 PM
  What do you like about drifting...? heshan 1 4,124 09-27-2009 06:51 AM
Last Post: heshan