Drains tubes in A pillar?
08-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi,

I've been looking at the insides of the A pillars where they meet the cill. This is where the ECU is on the passenger side and fuse box is on the driver's side.

I noticed that on each side there is a drain tube that ends about 2" above the inside of the cill/bottom of A pillar.

My thinking was, that this can't be good for keeping the rot at bay as I notice that it basically fills up the cills with water(!). There doesn't seem to be an obvious drain either.

I'm guessing this is the drain from the sunroof?

What I've done is extend the tube with some vacuum hose we had lying around. I've taken out the bung under the cill nearest the A pillar and put the vacuum hose through so that it is sticking out of the cill about an inch and a half. My thinking is that the water can then drain straight out of the car and not fill the cill with water.

Any thoughts on this, anyone else noticed this issue? Just seems like poor design how it was.

1985 Sprinter Trueno GT Apex
2013 GT86 Miltek Exhaust, Injen Induction.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-14-2011, 07:49 PM
yep the are from the sunroof. I had them to,i just extend them and drill a hole so no water is coming inside and i putt allot of tectyl ml inside of the cill :wink:

daily driver avensis 2.0 d4d and Yaris 1.0
weekend driver 1985 AE86
Find all posts by this user
08-14-2011, 08:11 PM
the drain is at the rear end of the cill but I agree it's a good idea as the drain in the back clogs up quickly

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  curved ram tubes Celica RA45 3 4,008 10-23-2011 07:33 AM
Last Post: Bean
  C-Pillar Bar? Strut Bar? StudeBaker 9 8,730 02-03-2006 01:29 AM
Last Post: NoHachi