Doubts about specific AE86 parts
02-09-2019, 01:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2019 01:57 AM by Patrick Ross.)
Hi guys,

I'm still searching for our favorite Toyota. Twice in a row I arrived late to negotiaztion for two different AE86 from Greece. Now I'm in charge for the third time.
Scrolling the photos of the car I noticed that the exhaust seems to be slightly shifted towards the outer side (left), resulting in one more "half circle" obtained by the bumper as well as another one on the left side of the bumber, this time significantly bigger), I believe originally non-existent. You can see them by the attachment.
Is that an aftermarket work (and so any idea why it was done?) or what?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
02-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Looks like someone have deliberately cut the bumper to put the exhaust on the side.
As to why, you will probably have to ask the owner. But it's incredibly stupid to cut the rear bumper to do that (and it look bad...)
02-09-2019, 04:00 PM

I agree with you, Project D, without any doubt an ugly work.
Thanks, I'll follow your advice and ask directly to him.

Now my doubts relate to the engine bay. I know that judging it just by a picture is absurd, but any possible thought about it will help.

02-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Not sure if the cam case breather hose is just disconnected or if he ran it to a catchcan/ground.
Seems to me it's a bit like the rear bumper the person just made things work without taking much care. Just by the looks I wouldn't trust most of the rubber parts in that picture. Maybe it's just dirt but I think a lot hasn't been touched or cared for in the laat 30 years.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2019, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2019 07:54 PM by Patrick Ross.)

Ehy Bean, what a glance! The owner said he must fix the oil pump and the car is stopped since 2009. He said also the car was planned as a project for drifting.
If you were me, what questions/requests would you make?
One more question: are all OEM parts?
02-09-2019, 08:00 PM
It does look OEM, as much as I can see.
Not sure what to ask. Personally I would just use all the bad points to lower the price a lot and then fix it myself. Always depends on what you can do and what plans you have for the car.

AE86 ex-daily
02-09-2019, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2019 09:17 PM by Patrick Ross.)
Thank you for the precious info Smile

(02-09-2019 08:00 PM)Bean Wrote:  I would just use all the bad points to lower the price a lot

Of course mate, I've already started doing it Wink

(02-09-2019 08:00 PM)Bean Wrote:  Always depends on what you can do and what plans you have for the car.

Just a working car to keep well for everyday usage, to buy and fix (in a delayed time, according to my wallet) at a fair price.

I saw the great restoration work done on your car. Was it you?
In this case, I would take the opportunity to ask you an opinion about the rust in the attached: what do you think about that and could it just on surface?

And while we're, what can you tell me about rims in the picture? Looks like common rims, not specific to the model.
And are those 13" or 14"?

02-10-2019, 01:53 AM
Wheels are steelies of no particular origin. Can't tell the size from the picture.

Regarding the rust the lower left picture looks to be more serious and tricky to fix.
The others I can't tell by the pictures might be surface rust underneath or more serious - only way to tell is to dig in there.

Yes I did most of the restoration myself. Fortunately there was little to no rust so I had a friend of mine fix that part as well as do the painting. Didn't make sense for me to learn how to make it nice myself. Chances were too high for me to screw up.

I did all the mechanical and prep work though. Still need to finish some of the assembly - just waiting for higher temperatures and currently focused more on my Z as it'll need to be running come spring and is less work (but more money).

AE86 ex-daily
02-10-2019, 04:17 PM

I knew it would be difficult to deduce something from the images alone but, one more time, you managed to give me some information. Thank you very much, really appreciated Smile

I understand your position: in any field, as beginners, if you get a chance, better to start with something more "expendable".

Congratulations on the job done, very good! Now I'm curious to see the Z Smile
02-11-2019, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2019 08:41 PM by Patrick Ross.)

I knew it would be difficult to deduce something from the images alone but, one more time, you managed to give me some information. Thank you very much, really appreciated Smile

I understand your position: in any field, as beginners, if you get a chance, better to start with something more "expendable".

Congratulations on the job done, very good! Now I'm curious to see the Z Smile

lol I hope I'm wrong but I think this negotiation will be just a waste of time.

The owners don't owe a vehicle license and he doesn't seem to be going to get it. And I consider it essential.
Seller keeps ignoring my offers and even my request to set a fair starting price, as I've already told its price isn't right.
Plus he asked me out of nowhere €500 as "some kind of deposit"! lol

Errata corrige: rereading well that deposit request is a reply to my first bid. Anyway it seems to me unacceptable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  goodridge SS brake lines fitting doubts wouter86 17 15,486 04-30-2014 06:33 PM
Last Post: wouter86