Does anyone here work in software?
04-21-2019, 11:36 AM
(04-21-2019 09:22 AM)d3nso Wrote:  Most of the time it goes like this:
Go back to school/university get a undergraduate degree and after that try to find a job. No offense but there is probably no one gonna hire a mechanic as a SW dev just like that without any degree in it or any work expirience with software in the first place.

Thanks man. I'll have to go back to school first because universities don't accept my mechanic qualifications anymore (apparently they used to), then attend university. This is going to take about five or six years minimum, I think it should be easier what with "skills shortage" but never mind.

After some research, I found a few database programming jobs with HUGE salaries (like 150k or more), so this is going to be worth six years of bullshit in the end.
Find all posts by this user
05-07-2019, 10:09 PM
(04-13-2019 12:15 AM)Power_uP Wrote:  I know C++ fairly well (C++ is my favourite), but I've also got some experience of Java and even some assembly. I got started with programming an old Acorn computer while at school and enjoyed it. I think I would be happy working in almost any software job except video games.
That's a good start, many people who start at uni "to get into software" have no actual interest in the creation of software.

(04-15-2019 09:16 PM)banpei Wrote:  TBH, as a (hiring) manager in my team I never ever am impressed by the European Computer Driving License. I always try to look at the capabilities and motivation of a person. But compared to my peers I'm more exception than a rule in that sense.
We had to do some basic ECDL stuff at high school. Total bogus and I'd never consider putting it on my CV, as it would feel degrading.

(04-21-2019 11:36 AM)Power_uP Wrote:  Thanks man. I'll have to go back to school first because universities don't accept my mechanic qualifications anymore (apparently they used to), then attend university. This is going to take about five or six years minimum, I think it should be easier what with "skills shortage" but never mind.

After some research, I found a few database programming jobs with HUGE salaries (like 150k or more), so this is going to be worth six years of bullshit in the end.
Here in Switzerland there's the so called "Fachhochschulen", which are a middle ground between technical universities and practical education / apprenticeship. I'm pretty sure that must exist somewhere around where you live as well.
Also, I wouldn't consider treading through 6 years of university at your age, I'd rather suggest something more short-term and introductory like a CAS or MAS course at a reasonably reputable university. That should get you up to speed enough to dabble in some practical projects such as open source software or your own little pet project (check out hackaday.com for a pile of ideas).

Practical skills always beats theoretical skills in a field. In a year or so, you should already be able to start as a junior dev (web, software, ...) somewhere with a diploma of some kind and a small portfolio of stuff you've worked on. The shortage exists, now you have to show that you know some of your shit and are a fast learner moving forward. If you can find some passion for software development in it, it'll make the transition so much easier.

Good luck!
05-12-2019, 12:32 AM
(05-07-2019 10:09 PM)decryphe Wrote:  
(04-13-2019 12:15 AM)Power_uP Wrote:  I know C++ fairly well (C++ is my favourite), but I've also got some experience of Java and even some assembly. I got started with programming an old Acorn computer while at school and enjoyed it. I think I would be happy working in almost any software job except video games.
That's a good start, many people who start at uni "to get into software" have no actual interest in the creation of software.

(04-15-2019 09:16 PM)banpei Wrote:  TBH, as a (hiring) manager in my team I never ever am impressed by the European Computer Driving License. I always try to look at the capabilities and motivation of a person. But compared to my peers I'm more exception than a rule in that sense.
We had to do some basic ECDL stuff at high school. Total bogus and I'd never consider putting it on my CV, as it would feel degrading.

(04-21-2019 11:36 AM)Power_uP Wrote:  Thanks man. I'll have to go back to school first because universities don't accept my mechanic qualifications anymore (apparently they used to), then attend university. This is going to take about five or six years minimum, I think it should be easier what with "skills shortage" but never mind.

Here in Switzerland there's the so called "Fachhochschulen", which are a middle ground between technical universities and practical education / apprenticeship. I'm pretty sure that must exist somewhere around where you live as well.
Also, I wouldn't consider treading through 6 years of university at your age, I'd rather suggest something more short-term and introductory like a CAS or MAS course at a reasonably reputable university. That should get you up to speed enough to dabble in some practical projects such as open source software or your own little pet project (check out hackaday.com for a pile of ideas).

Practical skills always beats theoretical skills in a field. In a year or so, you should already be able to start as a junior dev (web, software, ...) somewhere with a diploma of some kind and a small portfolio of stuff you've worked on. The shortage exists, now you have to show that you know some of your shit and are a fast learner moving forward. If you can find some passion for software development in it, it'll make the transition so much easier.

Good luck!

Thanks dude I genuinely appreciate your answer, we need more people like you. Sadly I've already enrolled at a university (despite my old age). I'm going to study mathematics and will make my own software projects and use hackaday.com at the same time. I really want to work in the industry, though I'm aware that its no longer a guaranteed route to millionaire status.

I'm glad you mentioned the 'skills shortage' because I went to my local college and they laughed at me when I told them I want to study math or software. It would make sense for UK colleges to offer subjects that will give students the best opportunities in life, but they seem to only offer courses in 'film' and 'singing' and stuff. I'm worried about future generations in the UK.
08-19-2020, 09:59 PM
Roadblock alert! Every time a see a company offering an "entry level" position in software, they seem to always want 3-5 years experience. How exactly does one overcome this? I don't mind starting at the bottom, but where exactly is the bottom rung on which I'm supposed to get this 3-5 years of experience?
Unless they want to put me on Lamborghini money from day one, which I would be fine with, even if they aren't.
08-20-2020, 12:33 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2020 12:40 AM by Bean.)
A lot of those positions are drafted by HR people which have no clue of the technical skills needed for the job.
Around here I've seen job offers asking for 5 years experience and and a university degree and to put the cherry on top you shouldn't be older then 23. Simple math makes this impossible unless you skipped several classes and built your own business at 18.
Look for offerings in small to medium sized businesses as those tend to be more realistic as the job offer is drafted by I person who knows what they are talking about.
There's a lot of experience you can gain yourself in your spare time but eventually you will hit a wall where an experienced person to bounce of ideas and giving you pointers becomes invaluable.

Good luck and keep scanning those adds.

Realistically there's no shortcuts in IT like in most others jobs. IT is ever evolving and unless you aim for job that gets boring very fast (those usually don't pay that well either) you are in for a steep learning curve that keeps climbing endlessly.
Exceptions exist but are very rare.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-27-2020, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2020 04:04 PM by Power_uP.)
Thanks Bean.

I've just applied for a job with a company in Milton Keynes (not far from my current location) that seems to want potential rather than experience and from the look of the products on their website, I think I would be a great fit as they make automotive tools.

The position I've applied for pays about £20,000 but the job that caught my attention was the one for a graduate software dev that pays £140,000 (that'll be the Ferrari money then). If I get the job then I'll let everyone know when I've been promoted to the £140,000 position and I'll start looking for a Black-Limited and a 2000GT to park in my newly acquired mansion.
08-27-2020, 09:18 PM
Good luck, go kick some ass!
08-27-2020, 10:12 PM
Good luck! And I really hope it works out for you to get the job and gain some experience! Thumbs up!

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Does anyone here work in software?]
09-10-2020, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2020 05:06 PM by Power_uP.)
I didn't get that job. Had to do an interview via Zoom with the most unenthusiastic person ever and then received an email to say that I wasn't being hired. I'll keep trying, but I didn't want to work with that guy anyway.

While I'm here, can someone please tell me why this 'graduate' job pays so much? High paying job.
For that job I would have to move to South Wales, but I'm willing to do so for £120,000.
Hell, I'd be willing to spend the money on a degree too if it pays that much.
09-13-2020, 09:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the job. I hope you will have more luck next time!
About the job: they seek out a graduate front-end developer where graduate means it's a senior position (probably 10+ years of experience). In this case it's a weird opening: normally a front end developer is working solely on front-end (e.g. HTML, CSS, React, etc) and make interactions via APIs. You will never find someone with 10+ years experience in React as the framework is only 7 years old. They seek out a person that knows GraphQL and Elasticsearch which are a database abstraction layer and a database system. Why do you want a front-end developer that knows something they shouldn't? Dumb question

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Does anyone here work in software?]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toyota Performance Magazine, it's here! [email protected] 6 5,839 08-01-2010 11:11 AM
Last Post: [email protected]
  UPDATE - FAO Belgians - I'm HERE :) Bean 17 10,878 11-17-2009 01:27 PM
Last Post: Bean
  Does anyone have hookups for shipping engines from Japan? awex 3 3,242 07-21-2009 01:38 PM
Last Post: awex
  Anyone here watching Nurburgring 24 hours? AZNWOKZ 3 2,739 05-28-2008 06:40 PM
Last Post: AZNWOKZ
  Great work! IBMFD3S 13 6,474 08-15-2007 08:40 AM
Last Post: RBpoweredSileighty