Does anyone here work in software?
04-11-2019, 01:53 AM
Random thread I know, please move or delete if necessary (or, if you think I'm being a moron, just slap me in the face if you see me at a car show or something).

Here goes: I've been trying to find a way into a software career for a while and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how its done?
This thread isn't as stupid as it sounds because I do recall there being at least 2 people on here (many years ago) who were working in software.

I tried asking some customers at work (a few customers are software guys), but they are all very evasive and won't talk to me about it.

I phoned some local software companies and most of them acted the same way (very tight lipped and evasive), though one of them was kind enough to say: "you need math skills".

I've looked at some recruiting websites and the entry-level software jobs require 10 years experience (kind of hard to get the experience as a beginner). Employers usually want degrees in computer science, but I know that one of my customers did his degree in Ancient Greek History (yes really).

Finally, and this is off-topic, but I see software jobs advertised with an average salary of about €40,000. But some of the wealthiest people I've known have been software devs. I once had a customer buy 2 expensive cars with cash, and another guy (a dev who was 23 at the time) spent £80,000 on one car. So who's making the money in software? And more importantly, how do I get that job, because the way things are going, I won't afford another AE86 until I can get one of those jobs.

Anyway, thanks for any help (or future slaps in the face if you see me in real life).
Find all posts by this user
04-11-2019, 09:09 AM
I think you'll find many of us work in software (myself included). But not all of us make big money (I know I dont).
If you want to get started I think your best bet would be some type of re-education programme where you get to learn and
work at the same time. It's not like you can just jump in with no experience whatsoever.
I work in industrial automation myself, there is a big lack of programmers in my line of work, which is sadly not reflected in the
average pay. It is one of the morst secure jobs there is though, if I get fired tomorrow I'm sure I could find another job in a matter of days.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2019, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2019 02:22 PM by Power_uP.)
(04-11-2019 09:09 AM)Ivan141 Wrote:  If you want to get started I think your best bet would be some type of re-education programme where you get to learn and
work at the same time. It's not like you can just jump in with no experience whatsoever.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm trying that already but its not working too well either:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Does anyone here work in software?]

In the UK we have the same problem, lots of companies saying: "there's a skills shortage, we need programmers now!"
but no company will hire a new guy or offer training.

Also, I've tried getting into university to study computing, but shortly after I achieved my qualifications the universities changed the entry requirements and no longer accept my grades (I have a BTEC double distinction, but now need a triple distinction for university).

I'm going to keep trying, but it looks like the industry is causing problems for itself. Maybe I should just lie about my experience to get in the door somewhere?
04-11-2019, 09:25 PM
I work in a software development related job: (linux) system management. This corner of the IT is more forgiving if you haven't got any qualifications in a certain programming language or previous education, but it will take many years to climb up the ladder from junior to medior/senior. Many of my colleagues never finished their bachelor and started working for a company as a junior sysadmin and learned everything along the way. I also had a colleague who used to be a Windows sysadmin, but taught himself Linux and became very successful and nowadays organizes the DevOps days in the Netherlands. So I guess you have to be driven to do this job. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
04-12-2019, 12:55 AM
Ok, thanks guys. I'm still not giving up on a career change.

Maybe this is just a UK phenomenon, but software career advice seems almost impossible to find in Britain. I guess I'll carry on applying for apprenticeships for now.

I'm sorry if this thread is very strange, I've been struggling to find a way into software for a while and I've had some strange advice that I think you'll all find hilarious, so here's what I've been told so far:

- Just get an ECDL (European Computer Driving License).
- Here's a BBC Micro Basic programming book, learn from that.
- Here's a Borland C++ book from 1989 (no compiler or anything so I'm not sure what I was meant to do).
- Get a math degree (thanks asshole, but this isn't 1979).
- Don't bother, there's no money in it (I'm sure John Carmack never owned 4 Ferraris then?)

The way I see it, someone is getting a job in software, and everyone in the job was a beginner once so it must be possible for me to do it.

BTW, if anyone reading this is currently working in software in the UK, please don't be a total prick about it if you get asked for career advice. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if you asked me for advice with car repairs and I just told you to just F**k-off and read 1950s car repair manual.
04-12-2019, 11:33 PM
Software is a very broad description - what is it you'd like to do? Do you already know any programing languages?
Last but not least don't do it for the money but because you love/like it.
If've spent my last 15+ years in ICT and came across so many coworkers that just got stuck in there and don't like there job and that's just painful to see. In my opinion there's no reason to work a job long term you don't like.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
04-13-2019, 12:15 AM
(04-12-2019 11:33 PM)Bean Wrote:  Software is a very broad description - what is it you'd like to do? Do you already know any programing languages?
Last but not least don't do it for the money but because you love/like it.
If've spent my last 15+ years in ICT and came across so many coworkers that just got stuck in there and don't like there job and that's just painful to see. In my opinion there's no reason to work a job long term you don't like.

I completely agree with you about being stuck. I've seen people stuck in car workshops (my current job) and it is hard to watch. I don't hate my job, I just hate the lack of career progression, after 15 years I've gone nowhere despite consistently hitting targets and constantly asking for promotion. There seems to be an obvious career progression with software teams though.

I know C++ fairly well (C++ is my favourite), but I've also got some experience of Java and even some assembly. I got started with programming an old Acorn computer while at school and enjoyed it. I think I would be happy working in almost any software job except video games.

Please don't think I want to make this about money, its just that decent devs can make good money but I've never seen a wealthy car mechanic (though I'm sure they exist).
04-15-2019, 09:16 PM
TBH, as a (hiring) manager in my team I never ever am impressed by the European Computer Driving License. I always try to look at the capabilities and motivation of a person. But compared to my peers I'm more exception than a rule in that sense.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
04-15-2019, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2019 10:41 PM by Power_uP.)
If anyone ever got hired as a developer just by having an ECDL, then I hope that software company went bankrupt in a spectacular fashion. The ECDL is one of the most pointless qualifications I've ever known. If a guy can get a dev job out of an ECDL then I should be on a 7 figure salary making software for a bank or something.

Having said that, I do know a guy who got a job (not as a dev though) over in the U.S. because of his ECDL. Last I heard he was doing quite well for himself too, so good for him.

We need JonT back on here. Last I heard he was working in software, would probably be happy to help too.

*Edit* OK fine, I should probably admit it, this is about money.
Being a car mechanic has got me nowhere in life. I can't afford a home, I can't afford another AE86 (I've given up on owning one for now anyway), I haven't even been able to afford a holiday for a long time. I can't afford to get married (makes it hard to have a long term relationship with any of the women I've known).
I can't afford much right now, but I still see customers at work spending HUGE sums of money and there's only ever two jobs they seem to have. They are either property developers of software developers.

Honestly, I would get a job eating dogshit off the pavement if it paid enough for me to at least afford to buy a home.

Happy now?
04-16-2019, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2019 01:28 PM by d3nso.)
What a meltdown post...

Come on man many of us have a hard time nowdays, to think beeing a SW dev gives you automaticly a better life is just plain stupid.
I'm a electric engineer and don't have a huge salary, my brother is a B. Eng. and barely makes more then I despite his higher degree.
At the end of the day it's not so much what you work but where you do.
I have friends having none of the above but making huge amounts of cash working for a big german car company starting with P...

If you really wan't to change something in your life don't seek something you just wanna do because of the cash, it's not worth it.
My unlce worked for IBM as a SW dev and had a decent salary but when he got asked a few years back if he enjoyed his job he couldn't tell if the money was woth it as he first intended to work as a plumber back then Blush

Daily Beater: Civic EG5
Work in progress Car: AE86

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great work! IBMFD3S 13 5,458 08-15-2007 08:40 AM
Last Post: RBpoweredSileighty