Does AFM bluetop have lower comp pistons than the MAP bltp?
11-03-2006, 01:24 PM
So does it? Im talking about early spec bluetops -afm and map versions. And are there any other differences between these two engines? Could i just bolt on my manifolds and MAP system onto an AFM based block and head? would it have less power? what is the comp difference? and how much of this can i get back with a hi-comp head gasket from say TRD or similar?
Find all posts by this user
11-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi, here we were talking about it:
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic.php?t=318...sc&start=0

Copy paste:
I also checked the pistons, suitable for my car (btw my car is Swiss AFM, oroginal without catayltic converter):

STANDARD:
13101-16020 : piston sub assy w/pin
models: 4agec, 4age... ae86... GEN, ME, SDZ, FRG

O/S 0.50:
13103-16020: piston sub assy w/pin
models 4agec, 4age... ae86... GEN, ME, SDZ, FRG

I also entered another VIN (Knudsen's car), and I've got DIFFERENT piston part numbers !!!

STANDARD:
13101-16030: piston sub assy w/pin
models: 4age...ae86...EUG

O/S 0.50:
13103-16030: piston sub assy w/pin
models: 4age...ae86...EUG

So there are really two or more different pistons used in bluetop 4age.

Regards
Andrej
11-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Dreja, maybe 030 will replace 020 in Toyota catalogue ?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Cant anybody tell for certoin?

And another thing, how much compression would i gain with say TRD head gasket which is 0.8 mm? What is the thickness of the stock unit? What other companies make headgaskets for 4ag and what is the minimal thicknes i can use?

Also, is the thiner headgasket a bolt-on mod? will it cause the timing belt to be more loose? And will it work with the stock ecu (map)?

Tnx.s.
11-03-2006, 08:00 PM
anybody?
11-03-2006, 08:24 PM
jamiemirror Wrote:Dreja, maybe 030 will replace 020 in Toyota catalogue ?

How do you mean this?

I took all the part numbers from the same version of EPC (the version whose link is on the forum).
First I entered my vin and look for the piston part numbers and then I entered another vin (Knudsen's if I remember well) and search for piston part numbers... So I think the pistons are not the same, as they have different part numbers...

Regards
Andrej
11-03-2006, 09:22 PM
dreja Wrote:
jamiemirror Wrote:Dreja, maybe 030 will replace 020 in Toyota catalogue ?

How do you mean this?

I took all the part numbers from the same version of EPC (the version whose link is on the forum).
First I entered my vin and look for the piston part numbers and then I entered another vin (Knudsen's if I remember well) and search for piston part numbers... So I think the pistons are not the same, as they have different part numbers...

Sometimes manufacturer list two PN#s for same thing - obsolete and newer one (improved - for example). I don't know this paricular case (Toyota rings).
11-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Yes, I know Toyota lists newer part numbers, when the old ones are discontinued... This was the case when I was buying a clutch master and slave cylinder rebuilt kit.

But as one piston part number is for afm type and another one for map type I doubt the pistons are the same. But someone should look in the latest EPC program to be sure.
But I suppose, as all other engine parts (block, head, valves, etc.) are the same (have the same part numbers ) for both afm and map, also the pistons should be completly interchangable between both engines. But this is just my opinion, I didn't test it...

Regards
Andrej
11-04-2006, 12:39 AM
hasnt anybody ever taken the two engines apart and lock at the bloody pistons?
11-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Same story againSmile. The european AE86 forums dont knowing which CR are their enginesSmile.

I started the thread bevor, so I made sure i get as much as possible information and pictures from such engines. For me, without any doubt the answer is 10:1.

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AFM to Map Conversion ps13michi 3 2,394 01-06-2022 10:34 AM
Last Post: ps13michi
  82mm Stock compression Pistons apardal 4 2,230 11-24-2021 04:26 PM
Last Post: apardal
  Bluetop Engine Rebuild multiple question Goal 150-160hp Hanzo 16 7,628 04-19-2021 10:08 PM
Last Post: Hanzo
  Newb question on "how-to" guide for ITBs on JDM 4AG Bluetop w/ MAP mister86 12 9,644 02-10-2020 06:39 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  cool lower radiator hose thanos 4 4,870 11-29-2016 01:06 PM
Last Post: thanos