D2 Coilovers any good?
07-31-2010, 03:00 PM
D2 Coilovers any good?
Guys anyone with feedback on having Negative Camber for Daily drive and some pics for it..??

Cheated on my いたずらな女の子 and now I can't get enough of her..
Find all posts by this user
07-31-2010, 03:39 PM
D2 Coilovers any good?
heshan Wrote:nice! finally someone with good feedback on them..

is it daily drivable? soft setting's good? any weird noises from them?

this is the D2 RS??

Oh yeah by the way, by having negative camber does that become a problem for daily driving??

Daily drive-able --- YES! ( I do it and think they are fine on the soft setting).

Soft setting is good YES!

Tis the D2 RS!!! YES!

Neg camber I dont have any problems with it... only if you put it on super nega it can kill your tires more quickly than normal driving Tongue with normal settings.

And if you want pics - check my topic at new members...
I think its a fine / quality set! (I got it for 749 euro's).

-DWG- Drift Wolf Gaming
07-31-2010, 05:55 PM
D2 Coilovers any good?
meshin Wrote:2 NoHachi: D2 has few more advantages;
- front camber plates (thats 150$ more)
- rear spring on the shock, not sepperated setup (you can't make that yourself)

You do get a lot for your money.. its just that the most important part - the shock, is not made for the ae86 or a quality part. The HTS is both..that's where the money goes I guess.

Front camber is a very personal thing..you can see if you need more of it by taking a look at your tire wear pattern. Too much wear on the outside shoulder of the tire == you need more camber. If your tire wear is nice and even, then it won't do much more besides cause extra wear and reduce straight line braking power. Might help tuck a fatty rim under stock fenders though.

The rear coilover setup isn't really that big of an advantage. The upside is cheap replacement springs and lots of choice, downside is slightly more roll of the rear axle. The adjustable seperate springs are also good.

Quote:Its $100 off 50% and he only said he hoped to get them that cheap, not that he could.
Hence the smiley eh!

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-31-2010, 09:55 PM
D2 Coilovers any good?
4000GT Wrote:So your point is suspension thats 50% more expensive is better? Shocker!

The D2 stuff would be perfectly fine for daily driving...

I says it's ONLY good for daily drive but why would you spend $1100 on low quality parts, it's something you rely on every day, if you want to go through switching out our shocks every 2 months. i personally think it's waste of time and money.

just get the home make HTS set up with swift springs and some cheap sleeves off ebay, way better quality than D2, Megan, K Sport.

but I usually recommend ppl to use tokico illumina for the coilover set up because in USA it's life time warranty on the shocks and 8 way adjustable and cheaper.

Quote:Its $100 off 50% and he only said he hoped to get them that cheap, not that he could.

because the item is coming in on august 2nd, I don't have exact price yet but targeting price is $1500 and below.

P.A.S.S Racing
148 S.8th Ave, Unit-F
(626)961-6284
City of Industry
[email protected]
http://www.passracing.com
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - D2 Coilovers any good?]
07-31-2010, 11:05 PM
D2 Coilovers any good?
SYM Wrote:
4000GT Wrote:So your point is suspension thats 50% more expensive is better? Shocker!

The D2 stuff would be perfectly fine for daily driving...

I says it's ONLY good for daily drive but why would you spend $1100 on low quality parts, it's something you rely on every day, if you want to go through switching out our shocks every 2 months. i personally think it's waste of time and money.

just get the home make HTS set up with swift springs and some cheap sleeves off ebay, way better quality than D2, Megan, K Sport.

but I usually recommend ppl to use tokico illumina for the coilover set up because in USA it's life time warranty on the shocks and 8 way adjustable and cheaper.

because the item is coming in on august 2nd, I don't have exact price yet but targeting price is $1500 and below.

Ummm so you say D2 are ok for daily driving, but that you would need to change the shocks every 2 months. Doesnt that make them not ok for daily driving?
08-01-2010, 11:01 AM
D2 Coilovers any good?
this is a photo going around of a rather spectacular failure of a set of G2's

Chinese crap

My website:

S-86.com
08-02-2010, 08:41 PM
D2 Coilovers any good?
Found some info on D2 while browsing around for some info on some öhlins struts. Its an interesting read..some good, some bad.

Quote: Also here is a copy and paste of his review of the D2 dampers when he took them apart. I was not kidding when I said this guy has his hands on a lot of dampers, and he knows them in and out!

Quote:D2 racing struts for the MR2_ MK1 Up-date #1

I received the used set of 4 coil-over assemblies from MicaCeli.
With the intent of running them on the shock dyno.
And investigate if there is any possibility of re-valving (re-calibrating).
For a more suitable ride, targeting autocross and performance street driving.

And from the start there were a few challenges to over come.
Not a big deal this is quite normal in the shock Biz.

# 1 D2 racing deviated from the production MR2 strut tab offset.
So I need to make a new dyno fixture to run them.

#2 the corrosion that accumulated from normal street usage.
Has become a minor inconviance. As water had collected inside the drilled shaft.
And had completely locked-up one of the adjusters with rust.
Also the steel threaded main body also seems to corrode to the threaded on aluminum fixtures.

I would suggest the other owners of D2 (and similar struts). Do some corrosion prevention work. To keep there struts in fine working order.
I would not leave the adjuster hex keys in place. As this is where the water enters.
I would remove them and instill an easy to remove plug to seal the opening.
Also I would take the time to remove the threaded on hardware and lubricate with anti-seize. So in the future spring seats and clevis hardware will move freely.
The best bet would be to send them to a racing shock expert for service.
And while there an oil change will keep things on track. Please remember. A racing shock can be quite dangerous. If the untrained attempt to service them!!!

As far as the quality of the product, it is better than expected.

I grade racing shocks like this. Based on quality and value for your dollar.
Penske Racing #1 value, flexibility and ease of use – (made in the USA)
Ohlins #2 a bit pricy, Excellent fit and finish,
Bilstein #3 nice value for the price. And a nice conservative approach to racing.
Koni #4 good value for the price.

D2 is not main stream here in the USA. But if it was I would place it as comparable to Bilstein. This set uses good quality racing internal components (Better than the low tech street stuff found in some)

There a few flaws but at this price I would call it a good value.

And when tuned properly will be a great performer.

It is a true mono-tube race shock with a single (no check) needle and seat adjuster.
Meaning the single adjuster changes both the Compression and Rebound low speed forces.

It is a true high pressure gas shock with an inline separating piston. Dividing the gas charge and the hydraulic shock oil.

Like I said, D2 Racing struts have a few design flaws. But at this price, is a nice value.
But do not forget. Just like any racing shock will require service to stay in top condition.

Next time I post I will supply dyno data from the as built struts.
And a bit of insight about a re-valve direction

Well I have disassembled one of the struts.

And found a few surprises. The working piston is an Ohlins copy (knock-off)
It is 42 mm & I have no knowledge of a 42mm Ohlins ever being used.

The aluminum parts from D2 Racing are quite soft and easy to damage.

And after a brief conversation with the salesman @ D2, they have little in the way of spare parts. No one is servicing them in the USA. And do not wish to repair or service the struts here in the states as they feel they are so inexpensive. It would be easier to just buy new parts.

The good news:

I have sources lined up for most of the seals. And re-valve parts.
And there should be no problem tuning this unit.

I also see the limited support from D2 racing as an opportunity.
Time will tell, but I feel we will be able to make this low buck monotube in to a winner.

D2 racing struts for the MR2_ MK1 Review _Up-date #2

Just the facts:

D2 Spring rates as delivered –

Front rate is 225 #/inch
Rear rate is 360 #/inch

D2 Spring package is a standard race size - 2.5 in. I.D. x 7 in. free length Front and Rear.

Stock Aw11 spring rates I have measured in the past-
Front is 85 #/inch (first inch, don’t have the installed preload length)
Rear is 178 #/ inch (first inch, don’t have the installed preload length)
AW16 Rear spring rate is 183#/inch

D2 strut total shaft travel is 4.75 in. stroke length.
But a droop spacer inside could be removed to increase that slightly.

The struts system friction is higher than I like. And is not consistent in the 4 units.
This friction is measured as seal friction on the shock dyno. But I feel it is not the shaft seal that is the largest contributor of the friction.
We have a plan to reduce this force.

The adjusters on the D2 struts tested have no effect on the damping forces. Twisting the knobs in all positions (full hard to full soft) showed no change on the shock dyno.
Sadly there appears to be a slight design problem that keeps the adjuster from actually working. I feel this can be easily corrected. And will up-date when it is fixed.

As you will see in the as delivered dyno curves they are as we thought.
Very stiff in rebound.
The right to left forces differ more than I prefer or are miss-built.

Will let you know more as we start the actual re-valve process.

Did a bit more work Saturday, and will be back at tonight.

Found a few items of interest.

#1 - A portion of the high system friction. Is caused by the clamped on sway bar tabs. They are actually distorting the strut body tube. Actually causing the working piston. As well as the separating piston to stick in the housing.

This is a big deal that needs to be addressed.

I was able to change the force curves on the dyno by simply tighten the pinch bolts.
We will need a new or modified sway bar link bracket. On the strut to correct this problem. (I was unable to tighten the pinch bolts enough to keep the clamp from spinning)(without impacting the struts performance).

But once corrected - this will add consistence. And increase the life of the unit.

Called D2 Racing NA this afternoon. And they now have a revised larger version of the Sway-Bar clamp bracket (currently out of stock). But it still uses a pinch bolt to lock it in place.

I am sure we can modify the clamps we have as well.

Item # 2

Work to make the adjuster functional, looks quite promising.

Will post adjuster force curves when I am become happy with the results.

P.S.
I was posting the same thing on honda-tech when I experienced the same results as him when I use to sell D2 and Ksport through the other company I owned which does retail sales. I too have taken apart and rebuilt quite a number of dampers myself. Selling them prior to me taking them apart gave me direct feedback from my customers. The D2's valving was crap, there corrosion resistant was horrible, and the adjuster didn't do jack shit. They only became decent after I reworked them, but after you add up the cost which was 150 a damper to fix, and the cost of the damper themselves you could have had something way better off the bat. Anything can be made to be decent, but some more than others. Trust me, I don't belong in the same sentence as D2, Ksport, and whatever..that's simply the truth. Funny, even after telling customers to stay away from those brands after taking them apart and finding the design flaws they continued to buy and support this crap. It's like they thought I musta been smoking something. They continue to fail, and make mediocre dampers. Now even if they did improve it they still stuck it to people because they sold something that didn't even work for years!! I completely stopped offering them through my other company when the calls of them blowing became such as hassle that selling them wasn't even worth it anymore.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
08-02-2010, 11:24 PM
D2 Coilovers any good?
that's excellent info, thanks for posting. He doesn't do any destructive testing though as itmight of shown up a problem with weak mounts and shafts

My website:

S-86.com
04-04-2017, 02:40 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2017 02:41 AM by hachirokkos.)
D2 Coilovers any good?
D2 drift spec 2way adjustable suspension for sale !!
Street legal notes included !
Coilover on the rear, NOT indepented shock and spring.
Used only for 3 races and 5 trackdays.
Mind condition !!!
Will need the oem front cases
Price: 600 gbp incl. shipping to the UK.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - D2 Coilovers any good?]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Squeaky seats - any tips? decryphe 2 406 10-18-2023 10:13 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  ClutchMaxPRO Clutches - Good or Bad? RolanTHUNDER 0 728 12-01-2022 09:55 AM
Last Post: RolanTHUNDER
  Carina drivers! - Coilovers for a TA60/62 nyberrg 2 5,507 06-05-2017 10:03 AM
Last Post: nyberrg
  Fitting driftworks CS2 coilovers bozu 2 4,220 05-30-2017 10:50 AM
Last Post: bozu
  Toda timing info - with good general 4AG timing info too oldeskewltoy 0 3,955 11-05-2016 01:34 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy