Considering arch extensions
07-17-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm starting to come to the end of my maintenance "must do" list with just a few jobs remaining.

I'm really looking at getting some good progress bodywork wise in the next few weeks but I've never done anything other than a touch up or a bit f filling and spraying before.

I really like the look of the wider rear over arches for the rear like these http://www.mcnsport.com/shop/part.php?ca...&part=2840 and as one of my rear arches has seen some drift action back in Japan (used to be owned by someone who worked for Motorfix!) I would love to get these on with the Dritfworks 35mm spacers http://www.driftworks.com/shop/custom-4-...-cars.html

What I really want to know is as an amateur how much work is involved and have I overlooked anything other than the arches and the spacers? I have done a little research and have seen I have to cut out the old arch and roll the inner skin to meet the cut out in the outer skin and weld, is this correct? Is this something I can achieve in a weekend

Will having 35mm spacers put extra strain on any parts? Will just the rear arches look terrible with standard body bits elsewhere as I have no side skirts? and does anyone know how the arch extensions meet the rear bumper, do they need work to match the lines?

I'm really looking forward to doing this as all the work I have done so far other than painting my front bumper strip hasn't had any visual rewards!

EDIT: I have attached a photo of the look I'm trying to get, is it unrealistic for me to expect to get as good a fit as this pic?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
07-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Nice booter goddammit! Thumbs up! Thumbs up! Thumbs up! Thumbs up!
07-17-2012, 11:27 PM
To do that can of modification properly, you need to know how to weld.

here is why:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Considering arch extensions]
(a picture tell more than worlds)

Here it's a CBY over fender, but for any over fender it the same kind of works.

PS: I have +35 rear Origin Lab over fender on my car, so I know about what I'm talking about :wink:
07-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Sweet I've seen those instructions on the web when I was doing my research, this doesn't look too challenging although in those photos they have done such a neat job, I doubt I could get it so neat!

Are you happy with your over fenders? I believe the Origin ones are the same as the ones I'm looking at have you got any photos of them on your car?

What are you running wheel an spacer wise? I have 8j ET 0 so was going to get 35-40mm spacers.

How long did it take to have your arches done?

Thanks mate.
07-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see your message.
I'm really happy with my over fender ^^
I have 8J ET0 and 35mm spacer.

I can't tell how many time it took me since I didn't just riveted them. (see HERE)
But I would say half a day ta make a proper work if you know how to weld.

I will try to make picture for you this week Wink
07-31-2012, 01:04 PM
here it is Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Oh I am truly jealous in that pic you literally have all the bodywork mods I want to do to my coupe!

I have 8j ET 0 Grid V's and was looking to use 35mm spacers so thanks for confirming they are adequate!

You done some really clean work! i think i will go down the rivet route but thanks for that you have just confirmed how good it will look!