Completely stumped
04-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Completely stumped
Whilst working on my car I've noticed my fuel pump tripping on despite having no ignition, its been doing this for a while now and my battery eventually ran flat. I took the battery out and put it on charge and returned to working on my car. Then it tripped again?! the noise is like a solenoid activating. I can't figure out how this is activating with no power? is it time to replace the pump? I'm pretty sure its the fuel pump located just behind the drivers side headlight?

Any help would be appreciated again! I honestly have no idea what is going on!
Find all posts by this user
04-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Completely stumped
The fuel pump is in the tank Big Grin (we are talking about an AE86, right ?)
Take a picture of what you think it was the pump, it would be easier to help you Wink
04-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Completely stumped
I have got a picture of the part in question, not the best photo but it is in awkward position if need be I can try to get better photos tonight. The car is an 86 so looks like its not the fuel pump then! My old man has worked on cars, planes and helicopters for nearly 40 years and he said he's never seen anything like it!

Once again any help appreciated!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Completely stumped
not 100% sure as my version didn't came with it but I think that's the charcoal canister to filter/vent the fumes from the fuel tank. doesn't use any electricity thou...
still there are a few things that could drain your battery. the fuel pump being one of them but only if you got a few shorts in the right places so rather unlikely. in general the most common thing to drain the battery is a badly wired music system.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Completely stumped
Yes it is the charcoal canister !
but it should not be there, normally it's under the intake pipe.
This thing make horrible noise sometime (I removed mine)
04-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Completely stumped
yeah mine does the same, just the fumes from the tank, hit it a couple of times and it stops. Or just don't bother..

AE86 Levin
04-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Completely stumped
Oh Thats good news nothing expensive yet! Is it just a case of taking it our or do I need to plug something up? Bit worried that this isn't the cause of the flat battery though, maybe new battery time!
04-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Completely stumped
You´ll need to block the line going to the intake manifold.
Cut down the line comming from the fuel tank and zip it to the other brake/ fuel lines.
On the older AE its just pushed into the rear chassis rails Smile

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86