Coilovers?
01-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Coilovers?
Hey fii,

Exactly, with normal shocks you can only lower a couple of cms before you get into trouble. But with short strokes putting the car on stock height is far from ideal an even possibly impossible. Even if it is possible to go heigh enough your shock is still working less effective as it can only move so far when your car goes over bumps (works both ways, when compressing if your car is to low you and when expanding of your ride height is set to high).

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
01-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Coilovers?
Fii Wrote:Is there any benefit of using the short-stroke struts with coilovers?

1. you will not hit the bumpstops if you lower the car too much with ae92 (shortstrokes)
2. ae92 shocks are adjustable from the top, ae86 konis need to be dissasembled for adjusting.

check my thread about instalment of various konis + P.racing coilovers.

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Coilovers?
mux213 Wrote:Exactly, with normal shocks you can only lower a couple of cms before you get into trouble. But with short strokes putting the car on stock height is far from ideal an even possibly impossible. Even if it is possible to go heigh enough your shock is still working less effective as it can only move so far when your car goes over bumps (works both ways, when compressing if your car is to low you and when expanding of your ride height is set to high).
So this means that in the end the benefit of coilovers is very small, because I can adjust the height in very small range. And the use of short stroke struts will limit this range even more, but there will be a benefit of the lowered car.
01-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Coilovers?
Fii,

well the thing is that with the normal shocks you can only lower the car maybe 2 cm, or with stiffer springs even a bit more. But you could also heighten your car by x cms, the total range is maybe 6cm? not sure about those figures, I'm no expert in these matters, just purely guessing here.

With short stroke you can lower your car around 6 or 7 cms, but not heighten it (relative to stock height), possibly you have to even lower it atleast 1cm to not get into trouble. but you still, you can vary from -7cm to -1cm height.

Depening on how much you shorten your struts and how big the spacers are you can actually set this range any way you want it. You could make this combo so you can have a range varying from -5cm to +1cm height or something.

Here is the complete story btw:
http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_...ersion.htm

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

01-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Coilovers?
Wow mux, thanks a lot for this writeup! Learned a lot in here today! Smile

Since i got standard springs and shocks i thought asweel that the T3 setup would be the easiest.
I'm gonna email Luis and hear about an coilover setup, emailed T3 this morning.

Thanks a lot for the help! Respect!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Coilovers?]
01-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Coilovers?
Hey Widar,

No problem, if you are emailing them anyways ask them about the reinforcement of the rear axle mounting if you go coilover in the rear. I wonder if its a myth or if you really run into trouble if you put coilovers on a stock rear axle. Kinda makes sence because normally alot of the force goes through the spring mounts and they are solid.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

01-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Coilovers?
I talked to Luis a while back and he said that unless your supports are rusted out where the old strut attaches you shouldn't really have a problem with the coilovers.

You have by far the ugliest hachi on the nicest rims in the world -Mux213
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Coilovers?
Other reasons to opt for coil-overs:

They often use standard short springs with standard diameters. Usually this means you get rid of the awkward ae86 etc spring size and get to shop from a lot of cheap springs.

Tweaking the hight is sometimes usefull when trying to fit rims under the car. With adjustble camber you could find different combinations of hight vs camber that suit the rims and occasion.

Cornerweighting the car. Need some scales to do this. Is VERY noticable when the cornerweights are way off (heavy driver). Difference is obvious when u have acces to a lateral G accelerometer.

Rake (Front/rear hight balance) can be added as an extra method of influencing oversteer/understeer bias. Small changes go a long way. And its cheaper than buying new springs or sways.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
02-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Coilovers?
Hi, I've got a few questions about the coilovers:

If they were "hand" made like the club4ag stuff, wich costs are there???

1> spare pare ae86 front struts
2> ae92 front short shocks
3> spring stuff and things(like coils)...
4> .......(other stuff)

And part two..does anyone know if the ae86 frontstrut can be placed under my ke30???????

Mark
02-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Coilovers?
Yes the AE86 strut will fit, almost any strut will fit as long as you stay at a similar length.
Silvia/200sx struts fit with a little drilling or creative RCA designs. AE86 struts are practically bolt in, if you use KE30 struttops and KE30 steering knuckles. Some types need a spacer to make the steering knuckles fit (eg, KP starlet etc), these are pretty cheap from T3.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carina drivers! - Coilovers for a TA60/62 nyberrg 2 5,508 06-05-2017 10:03 AM
Last Post: nyberrg
  Fitting driftworks CS2 coilovers bozu 2 4,220 05-30-2017 10:50 AM
Last Post: bozu
  D2 Coilovers any good? heshan 18 24,175 04-04-2017 02:40 AM
Last Post: hachirokkos
  Has anyone tried BC Racing coilovers? AlexKTM 9 10,899 09-05-2016 12:28 PM