Coilovers etc...
11-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Coilovers etc...
And Koni's are usually only adjustable for rebound rate, which is of no use for incresing roll resistance.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Coilovers etc...
Ivan141 Wrote:And Koni's are usually only adjustable for rebound rate, which is of no use for incresing roll resistance.

Thumbs up! Agree.
If you set the konis too stif, the spring will be to "weak" to return the shocks to the "neutral" position and your car will be botoming after every bump on the road.
If you set shocks too soft, the spring will be too strong and you will have bouncy ride over the bumps.

You should go and test it.

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
11-03-2004, 10:54 AM
Coilovers etc...
I have ridden with a 90 degree turn from the most stiffend position its perfect for an AE86 in my opinion.

The Apex springs are also availbe in lowering i have a measurement table from APEX which puts them on 4kg/mm but your srpings aren't lowerd.

The Koni will help against roll if you stiffen it up but seeing Mux his rebound when i pushed his suspension its set to shit

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
Find all posts by this user
11-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Coilovers etc...
It might not be set very high, but try to understand that they do not become stiffer when pushing them in, so the car will roll even if you set the koni's at their maximum. It only becomes harder for the car to return to normal stance after a corner, and if you take the car through some tight corners in quick succesion with springs that arent very strong you will effectively lower the car down to it's bumpstops. That cant be a good idea now can it.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
11-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Coilovers etc...
Quote:If you set the konis too stif, the spring will be to "weak" to return the shocks to the "neutral" position and your car will be botoming after every bump on the road.
If you set shocks too soft, the spring will be too strong and you will have bouncy ride over the bumps.

Zax has a nice idea there..sometimes with really weak springs you can get the car to go lower and lower with each new corner. The end result is the car resting on the bumpstops (which have really nice and high springrates!).
This trick is sometimes used in stock class autoX, where only the shocks can be changed out. Its called the "jacking down" effect. But I don't think you can have it without revalving the shocks.

Quote:And Koni's are usually only adjustable for rebound rate, which is of no use for increasing roll resistance.

I do not agree. Rebound settings are the only settings you should experiment with when you want to increase/decrease roll resistance. Remember, for the car to roll, one side has to go down and the other must go up. Thats where you get the increased roll resistance..

Bump settings should be left alone. Let the bump set for taking in irregularities in the road (function of vehicle speed and more importantly, unsprung weight) and let "bump roll resisance" come from the springs.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carina drivers! - Coilovers for a TA60/62 nyberrg 2 5,563 06-05-2017 10:03 AM
Last Post: nyberrg
  Fitting driftworks CS2 coilovers bozu 2 4,253 05-30-2017 10:50 AM
Last Post: bozu
  D2 Coilovers any good? heshan 18 24,291 04-04-2017 02:40 AM
Last Post: hachirokkos
  Has anyone tried BC Racing coilovers? AlexKTM 9 11,013 09-05-2016 12:28 PM