Coilover shock replacement
07-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Hello everyone!

Its been a while since I've been on here, been so busy with work lately and doing bits and bobs on my car! (put a bride fixed bucket sit in, done some bodywork and maintenance and got some FC calipers for a tenner!) Also realised i'm running TRD shocks on the rear with some blue springs (TRD?) which are cut and held onto the spring seat with a jubilee clip! (not to clever but its held out for this long, i'll sort it when i have the money) found a load of bracing around the rear as well!

Anyway as I have been knocking things off my to do list it keeps getting longer! the most recent being my front drivers side shock, its been pretty bad for a little bit but it got worse lately! it knocks pretty badly so I'm going to order the MCN shock replacement for coilovers, this one http://www.mcnsport.com/shop/part.php?ca...&part=2679

Before I order this I want to know what's involved with fitting it? anyone changed just a shock in a coilover kit before? I didn't think it would be possible to replace just a shock as the coilover is all one assembly or am I just being a retard? I have attached a photo of my dead coilover to help you help me!

Cheers.

Okay for some reason it wont let me add the photo, apparently it has already been added? I'll try again later
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Theres a photo of it in this thread http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/coilover-...lover+help

As always any help appreciated!
07-05-2012, 10:58 PM
phill 92 Wrote:Before I order this I want to know what's involved with fitting it? anyone changed just a shock in a coilover kit before? I didn't think it would be possible to replace just a shock as the coilover is all one assembly or am I just being a retard? I have attached a photo of my dead coilover to help you help me!

You can take it apart. Undo the nut at the top so you can take the top mount and spring off. Then you are going to see a large nut in the middle.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Coilover shock replacement]

Get that off and then you just pull the shock out.

I hope my explanation makes sense. Tongue

ハチロク

07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Thats really helpful thanks mate!

My only concern now is that I think (i'll have to double check) my Tein adjustable top mounts are welded to the car. If this is the case will it just be same steps minus taking off the top mount?

Cheers.
07-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Right MCN Sport don't seem to be very responsive (They just got back from Gatebil) and I need this part ASAP does anyone know of any other shock that will just be a straight replacement for my coilover?

Thanks.
07-19-2012, 03:06 AM
Not to many options if you want to keep it shortstroke, apart from TRD which will me a million pounds new...
What should work as well, AE92 shocks, like Koni, Bilstein,...

But you´ll most likely not find a straight bolt in solution usually requires a bit modification on spacers,...

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
07-19-2012, 11:34 AM
TRD aren't THAT expensive. They will set you back about €200 / pcs (last time I checked)...

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-19-2012, 07:26 PM
What about Tokico shocks?

ハチロク

08-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Just got this sorted, the old units where TRD! had to get an ally spacer machined up to make the AVO inserts fit though.

Cheers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sub panel and rotary-button replacement for Levin -> Trueno conversion gh0st 9 4,145 11-05-2021 08:17 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Catalytic converter replacement Ryo 5 7,743 06-10-2015 09:38 PM
Last Post: KoJl6ACA
  DIY Coilover sketchy 8 12,229 04-01-2013 11:00 PM
Last Post: sketchy
  Coilover help phill 92 9 9,051 05-22-2012 01:10 AM
Last Post: MCNSPORT.com
  Maybe problem with TRD shock absorber and springs Mattolo 22 18,332 10-15-2011 07:40 PM
Last Post: zenki