Clutch issue ?
05-27-2019, 11:35 AM
Clutch issue ?
Hi everyone,
I have an issue with my clutch.
I think it come from clutch bearing release but not sure or the clutch itself.

Engine running, neutral position, flat surface and no foot on the pedal clutch or pedal gas.
Result: the car is moving and going ahead. Alone.
WTF is that ?
Find all posts by this user
05-27-2019, 01:13 PM
Clutch issue ?
Neutral position!!!! and it moves. Need more info. Is there a lot of play in the gear shift lever? Dave W
05-27-2019, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2019 01:21 PM by Power_uP.)
Clutch issue ?
Does the car stop rolling when you push the clutch pedal down? I had a similar issue with my AE86, it was caused by the clutch slave cylinder leaking so the clutch never fully disengaged. I think you'd already know if the cylinder was leaking because the pedal would be floppy and the car would be grinding into gear (and hard to get into gear in the first place).

When was the clutch last changed? You could have a clutch plate that's failed and now a piece is always in contact with the flywheel, though I would say you're likely to hear that if it were the issue. My sister's Fiesta had that problem after a cheap clutch went into her car.

You say the car is rolling, how fast? If its a gentle roll forward and stops when the car hits a slight incline, then maybe you just need to flush the gearbox oil. I've never known this to be an issue with an 86, but if the gearbox oil hasn't been changed in a long time then there's a possibility that old sticky oil is causing the input shaft to also turn other gears when the car is in neutral. If this is the issue, its probably easy to fix.

As Dave W pointed out, we really need more info to have any chance of helping.
05-27-2019, 03:31 PM
Clutch issue ?
(05-27-2019 01:15 PM)Power_uP Wrote:  Does the car stop rolling when you push the clutch pedal down? I had a similar issue with my AE86, it was caused by the clutch slave cylinder leaking so the clutch never fully disengaged. I think you'd already know if the cylinder was leaking because the pedal would be floppy and the car would be grinding into gear (and hard to get into gear in the first place).

When was the clutch last changed? You could have a clutch plate that's failed and now a piece is always in contact with the flywheel, though I would say you're likely to hear that if it were the issue. My sister's Fiesta had that problem after a cheap clutch went into her car.

You say the car is rolling, how fast? If its a gentle roll forward and stops when the car hits a slight incline, then maybe you just need to flush the gearbox oil. I've never known this to be an issue with an 86, but if the gearbox oil hasn't been changed in a long time then there's a possibility that old sticky oil is causing the input shaft to also turn other gears when the car is in neutral. If this is the issue, its probably easy to fix.

As Dave W pointed out, we really need more info to have any chance of helping.

Yes the car stop rolling when I push the clutch pedal down.
Gearbox oil is new.
No leaking to the clutch slave.
The clutch plate is an exedy clutch with a TODA light weight flywheel.
The car is rolling gently. Not fast.
Last time the car was on a ramp, 1st gear engaged, suddenly he car moved from the ramp. Going in reverse. Like if the clutch was slipping.
05-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Clutch issue ?
If youbare in Neutral this sound to me more like a gearbox issue rather than clutch.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-27-2019, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2019 04:24 PM by izanagi.)
Clutch issue ?
(05-27-2019 03:38 PM)Bean Wrote:  If youbare in Neutral this sound to me more like a gearbox issue rather than clutch.

It looks like a clutch plate sticking to flywheel.

And when I start the car and get out of my garage I can hear the clutch slipping and it smells clutch.

(05-27-2019 04:23 PM)izanagi Wrote:  
(05-27-2019 03:38 PM)Bean Wrote:  If youbare in Neutral this sound to me more like a gearbox issue rather than clutch.

It looks like a clutch plate sticking,not completely, to the flywheel.

And when I start the car and get out of my garage I can hear the clutch slipping and it smells clutch.
05-27-2019, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2019 04:28 PM by Ivan141.)
Clutch issue ?
Clutch has little to do with it. The gearbox will always have a bit of parasitic drag from the fluid and bearings that can transfer motion to the output shaft (usually not enough to move a car though.. unless you use very thick oil and its very cold outside).
A bad pilot bearing can also transfer more motion from the flywheel to the input shaft.

[edit]
If you smell your clutch then something has gone very wrong in there and it might well be the clutches fault.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
05-27-2019, 06:07 PM
Clutch issue ?
I agree with what others have posted, it seems there's likely no problem with the clutch and the gearbox has developed a fault.
05-27-2019, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2019 07:01 PM by izanagi.)
Clutch issue ?
(05-27-2019 04:26 PM)Ivan141 Wrote:  Clutch has little to do with it. The gearbox will always have a bit of parasitic drag from the fluid and bearings that can transfer motion to the output shaft (usually not enough to move a car though.. unless you use very thick oil and its very cold outside).
A bad pilot bearing can also transfer more motion from the flywheel to the input shaft.

[edit]
If you smell your clutch then something has gone very wrong in there and it might well be the clutches fault.

So I might have problems from gearbox AND from clutch. But what in the gearbox ?
05-28-2019, 09:07 AM
Clutch issue ?
Mine had a bit of drag in neutral as well IIRC, for me it was not enough to move the car though.

In neutral there is no connection between the input and output shaft of the box, but components are spinning close to each other and can transfer some motion
through the thick oil. Did you put in the correct grade of oil and what was the ambient temperature?

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PWR light issue and no brake fluid after winter storage magpie 10 1,432 05-25-2023 08:09 AM
Last Post: Bean
  Fuel pump issue DJexor 11 3,614 04-29-2022 05:45 AM
Last Post: Bean
  Clutch Issue Deaty 8 3,476 04-09-2021 10:26 PM
Last Post: Nakilad
  5th gear issue r.ave 1 2,189 03-14-2021 08:52 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  exhaust odor/idle MOT issue Ryo 7 6,475 07-15-2019 09:17 AM
Last Post: jondee86