Carbon panels
07-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Carbon panels
Anyone here using carbon fibre or kevlar panels, just wondering is it the type of finish thats in that shiny resin finish, or do they need painting still.

Also how well do they fit, like toyota parts, or like your normal pattern parts that would fit a transit just as good as a hachi.

On last question is kevlar much heavier than carbon, or is it a strength thing?

Cheers,
Jason
Find all posts by this user
07-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Carbon panels
Hey Jason,

When you look at fiberglass, carbon fibre and the likes the quality really depends on the skills of the manufacturer. When I got my fiberglass panels they weren't perfect but good enough, I still need to adjust them slightly to make them completely to my liking. It is hard to get them perfect, metal you can shape at any time but fiberglass sets and if you haven't got the mold perfectly shaped, there will always be small defects. In this way my fiberglas parts weren't curved enough. I'll just need to find out if I can still bend them into shape for asfar as FPR will take me without being damagedSmile

Carbon and Kevlar panels often are just the outer skin with that material. With a bonnet for instance the outer surface is carbon but often the reinforcements are copied in fiber. You do save some weight but only marginally so. Full carbon panels often are alot more expensive but do save more weight. Atleast so I've been toldSmile

Carbon is the lighest for the same strength panel asfar as I know.

Anyways, best is to see the end product mounted on a car from the manufacturer you've chosen. There just is alot of different quality out there.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4AGE - TRD N2 Altantic Carbon Airbox pack 7 7,765 09-28-2018 12:07 PM
Last Post: Bean
  Rear arch repair panels TomRich 4 6,001 08-30-2018 09:19 PM
Last Post: zenki
  Carbon fiber parts for the ae86 platform MIGGZFSU 15 14,198 12-12-2017 09:44 PM
Last Post: MIGGZFSU
  AE86 Body Panels - From Other Toyotas? yellowsnow4free 5 7,280 01-24-2013 04:19 AM
Last Post: yellowsnow4free
  Hadrian Body Panels.... any exp??? oldeskewltoy 2 4,625 09-28-2009 11:36 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy