Carb'd 4AGE on Hyperpak ignition no spark problem
01-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Hi guys i have a bigport 4AGE engine from a AW11 MR2 on carbs with a Hyperpak ignition control unit to run the stock distributor.

I am unable to get the engine to start due to no spark, well i say no spark i actually get one weak spark at the very first crank of the engine and then nothing at all when i continue to crank the engine. I dont always get the spark at the first crank of the engine either, its a bit intermittent.

I have double checked the wiring against the diagram that came with the kit and the ignition coil is brand new. I'm at a loss with what is wrong with it, my only thoughts are that the distributor is causing my problems or the hyperpak unit itself. Huh

Are the distributors known to give ignition faults or are they fairly reliable?

Any help with this would be most appreciated. Thumbs up! Thumbs up!
Find all posts by this user
01-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Distributors are fairly reliable I would say. Sounds like it's not getting the right signal, or the signal isnt clean enough.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks for reply. Thumbs up!

When you say it sounds like its not getting the right signal or the signal isnt clean enough what exactly do you mean?

Thanks Thumbs up!
01-05-2011, 01:33 AM
Sounds just like my ignition problem after my recent engine rebuild!Evil
I´m not running fancy carbs with aftermarket parts, but it just turned out the the ignition coil somehow lost it´s earth, wireing and coil stayed untouched all the time!!!

I searched weeks, changed coil/ distributors/ leads plugs, read diagnois codes. Nothing. Got a tip, to run a direkt wire from neg. Terminal to housing and got sparks again!
Worth a try I guess???

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
01-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Here is a scan of the wiring diagram for the hyperpak, i have wired everything as per diagram/instructions. Undecided

The yellow wire from the hyperpak on the diagram is not visable but it connects to the (-) side of the ignition coil.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Carb'd 4AGE on Hyperpak ign...rk problem]
01-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Well i've had the Hyperpak unit tested and as i suspected its dud. Angry

At least i know what my problem is now.
01-19-2011, 10:24 PM
4AGE FORD Wrote:Well i've had the Hyperpak unit tested and as i suspected its dud. Angry

i was looking at getting one of those myself later in the year when i install carbs and cams. any word back from the manufacturer if theyll do a trade on another unit for you?
01-19-2011, 11:47 PM
chaycore Wrote:
4AGE FORD Wrote:Well i've had the Hyperpak unit tested and as i suspected its dud. Angry

i was looking at getting one of those myself later in the year when i install carbs and cams. any word back from the manufacturer if theyll do a trade on another unit for you?

No I've not had a single reply to any of the emails I've sent, I'm not really that suprised after the hassel i had getting the thing in the first place. Huh

I've given up on it now and decided to go down the mappable Megajolt/Edis trigger wheel route. Thumbs up!
01-20-2011, 01:05 AM
you wanna get rid of the duff unit? i may know someone who can look into fixing it.
01-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Someone else already has it to do just that/copy it. Thats if they can get through all the epoxy resin that it is covered in! Huh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20v Silvertop stock ignition timing and fueling maps Lykowsky 5 11,904 07-18-2019 03:52 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Weak spark, doesn’t start. AlexFourTwenty 4 13,319 12-12-2017 03:35 AM
Last Post: AlexFourTwenty
  Carb question please help MIGGZFSU 3 4,189 03-29-2017 03:06 PM
Last Post: MIGGZFSU
  extracted freedom ecu 16v ignition map ditn 7 8,118 08-22-2016 10:01 AM
Last Post: ditn
  Changing distributor when carb 4age izanagi 14 13,966 07-04-2016 03:27 PM
Last Post: Uzelac