Bump steer revisited
12-11-2021, 06:46 PM
Thumbs Down Bump steer revisited
In my quest to eliminate bump steer l have found something interesting.
It seems there is built in bump steer and not a lot can be done about it.
The problem centres around the caster/tension arm. As the arm moves up and down with the suspension so it necessarily creates an arc, this arc works on the track control arm moving it back an forth and this movement tries to take the steering knuckle with it and this creates a self steering effect.
I'm using poly caster arm bushes and these are not compliant. Maybe standard bushes would help?
Any thoughts from anyone?

An analogue brain in a digital World
Find all posts by this user
12-12-2021, 12:50 PM
Bump steer revisited
I doubt that more compliant bushings would make a difference. Best you can do is to keep things as level as possible under normal load.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-12-2021, 02:45 PM
Bump steer revisited
Hi Bean,
l think that having rose jointed TCA's makes it worse, the standard bushed TCA's resist forward, back movement and help to push the caster arm length change forward to the caster arm bushes.
l'd imagine a car with a fully rose jointed front would be horrible.
If l could get the caster arm level at least the toe change would be in the same direction in bump and rebound. The standard Toyota setting is toe out in droop and bump toe in. A level arm would give toe out in both directions, probably not ideal either!

An analogue brain in a digital World
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Setup steer-in versus traction Dino86 6 7,285 11-15-2011 11:46 AM
Last Post: Dino86