Building a drift ae86 need some advice
08-13-2013, 02:52 AM
So....Im in the process of building a drfit car and so far the major headache im having is choosing the right rear end.....started off thinking to go with the ford 8.8 rear end but then decided that i would go with a supra celica rear end....now after doing some reading i have decided to go that route and and buy either a kaaz, ted, or cusco 2 way lsd. I would appreciate any advice on this matter and i will upload pics once project has started, along with all the upgrades....

Thanks guys Respect!
Find all posts by this user
08-15-2013, 07:26 AM
I think you need to supply a bit more information, I know drifting is hard on transmissions, diffs etc..etc.. but say for example just putting in an after market LSD into a T-series diff which is powered by a V8 its probably not going to last very long.

What sort of power are you planning on running through yours?

There are lots of things to consider when it comes to diff choice

For me it was :

Strength
Width
Ratios
Availability to spare parts. axles, different ratios etc..

I run a full width diff from a Hilux Surf as there is plenty of them in my country and cheap too, I guess one down side is the LSD's in them as in terms of after market options, you can get lockers for them etc but not much else, I ended up getting the factory LSD shimmed to make it tighter and that has been fine (tarmac, track days, sprints etc)

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Building a drift ae86 need some advice]

Corolla Levin SR 1984 AE-85 (Project car)
Corolla Runx Z 2002 (Runabout)
08-15-2013, 07:48 PM
for the rear end, you might consider using first gen. pajero rear axles. in my opinion, the cheapest option. fairly cheap base, fairly easy to find, has decent two way lsd and proven to hold up to high power applications such as sr20dets and drifting. almost exactly the same width as the oem ae86 axle. we built multiple axles like that and happy with the result.
conversion bracket set can be ordered from me if youre interested.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-16-2013, 04:38 AM
Rick Wrote:I think you need to supply a bit more information, I know drifting is hard on transmissions, diffs etc..etc.. but say for example just putting in an after market LSD into a T-series diff which is powered by a V8 its probably not going to last very long.

What sort of power are you planning on running through yours?

There are lots of things to consider when it comes to diff choice

For me it was :

Strength
Width
Ratios
Availability to spare parts. axles, different ratios etc..

I run a full width diff from a Hilux Surf as there is plenty of them in my country and cheap too, I guess one down side is the LSD's in them as in terms of after market options, you can get lockers for them etc but not much else, I ended up getting the factory LSD shimmed to make it tighter and that has been fine (tarmac, track days, sprints etc)

Well im putting in a 2.7 Tacoma first gen motor "3RZFE" with matching gearbox and an A/R .70 turbo...aiming for about 400hp. so this is why i was initially thinking about going with the ford 8.8 rear end because for one availability of parts where i am located is a dime a dozen and i can actually purchase different ratios in the "around the way" auto stores. But i started to have second thoughts when i was considering all the modifications i would have to do to mount the rear end. Where as on the other hand parts availability for the supra celica rear end as we all know im sure is like a needle in a haystack, but i am under the impression that it can withstand the hp and the constant abuse. I have hear about the hilux rear ends also so ill check into that to see about parts and such here. Thank you for the advice
08-16-2013, 04:41 AM
Lajoosh Wrote:for the rear end, you might consider using first gen. pajero rear axles. in my opinion, the cheapest option. fairly cheap base, fairly easy to find, has decent two way lsd and proven to hold up to high power applications such as sr20dets and drifting. almost exactly the same width as the oem ae86 axle. we built multiple axles like that and happy with the result.
conversion bracket set can be ordered from me if youre interested.

Thanks Lajoosh Im going to see if i can source this rear end here i like the fact that i wont have to shorten the axles and all that just re arrange the mounting brackets. I will keep you posted about what i find and if i will be needing some parts :wink: . I really appreciate the advice
08-16-2013, 09:03 AM
look for pajero L04_G, first gen, 1982-91. leaf spring, lsd rear, longest final drive is 4.625
this car was common in europe. dont know where you are located tho Smile
its possible that my brackets fits the ford axle too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robokill 1984 Levin Coupe 8A9 // building new engine robokill 354 335,275 08-22-2011 08:50 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Drift skool build project 4 some! richieu 13 13,487 09-14-2005 01:42 PM
Last Post: richieu