Brakes
11-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Brakes
I have mintex racing brake pads, 1144 compound and mintex racing oil (no DOT aproval).
From the change to mintex i have never-ever had brakes fading on my ae86.
I run stock discs (with machined surface).

Most people agree that if you upgrade your brake pads and lightnen you ae86, there is no need for upgrading to big brakes systems.
Beside that, if you use too big brakes you can actualy have less braking power then before!!! So you would need a brake balancing valve to readjust the breaking balance.
More about this you can read at great stoptech site.
http://www.stoptech.com/technical/
They sell the big brakes kit.

And remember, it's not the brakes that stop the car. It's the tires.

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Brakes
ZaX Wrote:I have mintex racing brake pads, 1144 compound and mintex racing oil (no DOT aproval).
From the change to mintex i have never-ever had brakes fading on my ae86.
I run stock discs (with machined surface).

Most people agree that if you upgrade your brake pads and lightnen you ae86, there is no need for upgrading to big brakes systems.
Beside that, if you use too big brakes you can actualy have less braking power then before!!! So you would need a brake balancing valve to readjust the breaking balance.
More about this you can read at great stoptech site.
http://www.stoptech.com/technical/
They sell the big brakes kit.

And remember, it's not the brakes that stop the car. It's the tires.
I have a very similar setup to yours and I am very happy with it! Big Grin
I did 30 min of very hard driving at SPA with this set up and never got any fade! Huh Huh
Only thing I want to change in the future is the discs and lighten the car more Big Grin Big Grin
I remember when I did two races with slicks on my Type R, the stopping power was amazing even tough I was running the same brake set up as I would use with my street tires! Smile
Find all posts by this user
11-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Brakes
Everyone go and read the stoptech site. It has some excellent articles that you shouls have read before tampering with your brakes.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
11-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Brakes
NoHachi Wrote:Everyone go and read the stoptech site. It has some excellent articles that you shouls have read before tampering with your brakes.

Glad you liked it. Cool

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
11-17-2004, 11:06 PM
Brakes
NoHachi Wrote:Everyone go and read the stoptech site. It has some excellent articles that you shouls have read before tampering with your brakes.
The stoptech site is very good, read it a few years ago regarding the "warped" brake disc bit Big Grin
I like what they have to say about SS braided brake lines, don't you NoHachi? Big Grin
11-18-2004, 12:45 AM
Brakes
You are just gonna keep kicking that horse aren't you. :wink:
I just saw that they had some of the articles from Caroll Smith on there. i had the pleasure of hearing some of this stuff live from him during the FSAE event. His articles are backed up by years of engineering experience (engineer in most if not all forms of racing, one of the original designers of the shelby cobra). the article on brake lines are from some guy who owns a shop...ok.

The remarks I made about SS brake lines are just me repeating what I heard from the people here at Goodridge. They make these lines so i assume they know what they talk about. I have not done any pressure testing etc Have driven some vehicles that had the conversion done, but other than the usual slightly firmer pedal due to fresh liquid I didn't notice anything. your results may vary...

If you read carefully then you'll see that the original article mentions SOLID rubber lines. Go and cut up your std. lines and have a look.

11-18-2004, 12:52 AM
Brakes
I have seen the cross section of stock brakelines...no steel braiding, just tough wire braiding.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
11-18-2004, 01:19 AM
Brakes
Now go to Goodridge and look at their lines

11-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Brakes
Where going a little bit off topic.

We are still looking and helping Jeroen for a good set of brakes not to say what we think of brake sets and what people think about it.

So

Does anyone have a good suggestion for Jeroen's brakes????

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
11-19-2004, 12:09 PM
Brakes
Dont screw around with brakes from other makes. In almost every case you have to fab a custom bracket . When you are doing that work, you might aswell buy proper callipers.

Look for a lightweight set of callipers from the aftermarket. Wilwood is real cheap, but doesn't have any dustseals. Ok for a fun/weekend car, but could give trouble on a daily driver.

When you have the calliper on start looking for a brake disc that fits. There are tons of cars out there with a 4x100 PCD so there is disc to veryones liking out there. You could probably even work with spacers to line things up, but thats not advisable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear brakes totta Crolla 0 702 02-03-2023 12:54 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Switching diffs for disc brakes? trippin 6 1,841 07-08-2022 03:35 AM
Last Post: trippin
  Rebuild rear disc brakes toyota crown ms112 axle bozu 0 3,530 12-21-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: bozu
  Hydraulic handbrake with stock rear brakes Dino86 11 14,062 07-11-2014 08:33 PM
Last Post: Dino86
  S13 Front brakes in AE86 rear heshan 25 26,078 02-01-2014 12:37 PM
Last Post: heshan