Brakes
11-16-2004, 08:06 PM
Brakes
I run steal braided lines, mintex fast road pads (can't remember the compund right now) and stock master cylinder with dot 5.1 fluid (toyota). Works great for me, has taken some track day abuse and still works fine without any fade Smile Smile The pads do take a little while to warm up tough so stopping when they are cold is not that much better than stock Huh
Find all posts by this user
11-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Brakes
Steel braided lines really make no difference. maybe to people who prefer their braiding on the outside instead inside.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
11-16-2004, 08:28 PM
Brakes
hmmz dunno ss brake lines shouldn't be able to stretch anymore........ but the inside is rubber ......

well nevermind that

i know of a few conversions on the AE that you can pull of i have seen RX7 discs brakes and calipers on the AE knowing that the FC turbo has pretty good disc brakes.......

Well another funny thing to do is

Use new brembo discs in front use ferodo pads (harder than this on stock won't be eazy) Than buy a set of front discs from a

Suzuki Swift GTI twincam16 from year ....... 199? (around 3 or so i think)

those are ventet discs in front and yes they fit the ae rear perfectly :-) than you have ventet discs in the rear also but then the caliper is to small so on the push point thingy

don't know how to call it you have to take like 2 mm of from it :-)

then again discs in the rear are pretty useless

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
11-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Brakes
Steel braided lines have the bread on the outside. Normal lines have a lyer of rubber, then a layer of braid and then another layer of rubber. They expand exactly like other lines...

11-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Brakes
NoHachi Wrote:Steel braided lines really make no difference. maybe to people who prefer their braiding on the outside instead inside.
I did notice some difference, better pedal feel is one of them. Big Grin I have done my fair share of brake hose testing to know what difference it makes but I am sure you have to! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
11-16-2004, 08:49 PM
Brakes
There are (Japanese) FC brake conversion kits availible. I wanted to get those a while back when I almost had an AE.

When changing brakes always UPGRADE or else it is not worth it. The conversion is to use FC 4-pots (TII) calipers. The kit includes the bracket and new brake rotors. I can't remember the brand, but it is a really expensive Japanese brand. Kit costed around 400USD. This doesn't include the brake calipers and the kit is only for the front.

It came to me. The brand was Endless.
11-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Brakes
Oopz, look at what I gotten myself intoSmile

NoHachi, I agree with you 99%. You correctly state that if you can lock the tires then your brakes are powerfull enough, but I know that for an RX7 the single pot calipers are not powerfull enough to lock the tires when you are trying to brake at high speeds. Thats why they upgraded to 4pots.

The real question here is, are the brakes on an ae86 large enough to make high speed slowdowns nearly locking the tires (you dont want to actually lock it ,just have the ability to do so) and do that repeatably without overheating them. Looking at the spare front calipers in my shed and knowing how light an ae86 is, they probably are good enough unless you really start doing serious track work.

As for the DeLorean, the same applied there. Here it wasn't the problem that the calipers weren't big enough, but stock you have a relatively thin disk brake that couldn't take the heat of serious driving, a few times hard braking and you had no braking power left. The upgrade here was to unlarge the caliper width wise to accept a ventilated disk. Ventilated disks 'loose' heat more easily making sure you had enough braking power.

Btw, I though stock rubber lines expand more then SS lines? Or is that just a myth?

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
11-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Brakes
Aico Wrote:FC 4-pots (TII) calipers.
Aico, all FCs with 5 lognuts have 4pots calipers, there is no difference between the brakes on my N/A and those of a TIISmile

Only the first series of N/A FCs had the single pots calipers.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
11-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Brakes
Mux, its just a myth. Most of the people claiming increased feel have changed their brake pads at the same time.
Even acording to the people at goodridge here in Delft, they are mostly bling and designed to take line pressures never encountered in brake systems. At THOSE pressures they would expand less then normal rubber lines.

Just remember: rubber lines ARE breaded. Cut one in half and have a look.

11-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Brakes
OMG I have asked the wrong question Huh

Thanx for clearing some out but I won't be able to do anything at my car in the upcoming 6 months.
I still be interested in brake upgrades but will not buy any.

I just hearded today that as of januari 1st I will be unemployed.
So in short thermes, i'm fired Sad

No no no noooooooooooooooooooo
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear brakes totta Crolla 0 666 02-03-2023 12:54 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Switching diffs for disc brakes? trippin 6 1,791 07-08-2022 03:35 AM
Last Post: trippin
  Rebuild rear disc brakes toyota crown ms112 axle bozu 0 3,500 12-21-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: bozu
  Hydraulic handbrake with stock rear brakes Dino86 11 13,954 07-11-2014 08:33 PM
Last Post: Dino86
  S13 Front brakes in AE86 rear heshan 25 25,961 02-01-2014 12:37 PM
Last Post: heshan