Brakes
01-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Brakes
Is that dot 5 or dot 5.1 filh?
Dot 5 is silicone based and mostly used on dedicated racecars. Also not very good for road cars due to the way it handles moisture.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Brakes
Ivan, didn't filh do rally's with his car? then DOT5 seems like a logical choice.

How much brake fluid goes into the system? When I will change my axle I need to disconnect some off the brake line and I am thinking about swapping the brake fluid right there and then as I have no idea what I am running now (probably 3 or 4).

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
01-07-2005, 01:55 AM
Brakes
I looked at the specifications , here they are :
On the 1/2 liter can : ELF Moto : L Dot 5.1
Base non silicone .
100% Synthetic.
I've changed my old brake fluid, with that ELf fluid, and had no problem .
It's takes about 1 liter to replace fluid .
My system was in good state .
I had a Toyota Camry Wagon (2l TD) and change the brake fluid with that same Elf , and my fading problems disapeared.
For a daily use , there was no problem as it seems to be non silicone base,
unlike other expensive racing brake fluid , that you have to change every 3 months.That kind of fluid gets water charged , which is not very helpful in braking system.
I ride with that kind of fluid for about 10 years and very glad with results .
But I find a bad thing in AE86 braking system.
It's the rear brakes caliper .
The single piston floating caliper is not very well guided . There is only rubber bushing , without metal. And old cars like AE86 , you can make an experience : Remove a wheel and hold firmly the calipe, try to move it from left to right. You'll see that it's moving ( a little of course).
I think it's one of the most reason when you get a long brake pedal deplacement.And it's more evident when pads are very worn.
In rally racing , my rear pads are worn very sooner as front ones.
I use blue Pagid on front and Yellow Pagid on rear . Even with an hydraulic handbrake , I had to use that kind of pads on rear to be assured
with drifting.
Hope these will help!
Filh

Filh
Save the RWD cars
Find all posts by this user
01-07-2005, 01:59 AM
Brakes
Thanks for the good info.
I know what you mean with the rear brakes...they also wear a bit more unevenly than the front brakes. Isnt there any way to improve this?

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear brakes totta Crolla 0 664 02-03-2023 12:54 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Switching diffs for disc brakes? trippin 6 1,791 07-08-2022 03:35 AM
Last Post: trippin
  Rebuild rear disc brakes toyota crown ms112 axle bozu 0 3,499 12-21-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: bozu
  Hydraulic handbrake with stock rear brakes Dino86 11 13,954 07-11-2014 08:33 PM
Last Post: Dino86
  S13 Front brakes in AE86 rear heshan 25 25,956 02-01-2014 12:37 PM
Last Post: heshan