Bought a Ae86 and super scared cause of rust can any one hel
11-18-2009, 12:40 PM
to be honest i used to be scared of working on bodywork on cars... until i got a 1987 mini project then it all changed now i just go for it. its best to start on inner arches aka parts that you wont see then you'll be more confident when working on parts more visible.
i wouldn't worry about it and defiantly don't break it down because of a few buts of rust, you'll be hard pushed to find an AE86 that's rust free after all there pretty old cars. Thumbs up!
Find all posts by this user
11-19-2009, 02:59 PM
This is what the auction sheet says im thinking of destroying the car for parts and getting a cleaner 2DR coupe maybe with some RS watanabes Smile
I am in two worlds its alot of rust to fix and it would mean cutting away panels from the seams and fitting new ones but you cant get them so i have to make everysingle one up by hand...... sounds like i will never get the car right i want it almost close to perfect ... should i look for a grade 4 with out rust and problems ?
Maybe i can get a super clean one strip it clean it up seal it and rebuild it again will only take a few weeks but what more could a AE86 Fan ask for.
I love these cars... we have none in Africa and none in the whole of africa even in Southern Africa, i want to own a clean nice Hachi thats all i ask i know its alot to ask for but they are the sweetest car i have ever seen.
Even my R34 Gtr Vspec II Nur cant compete ... ha ha
Hope to hear some more info from you fellow fans out there thankyou for all the sound advice and keep it coming this Forum is the greatest Smile Smile Smile

Sales note: 5spd manual transmission, air condition, fuel is petrol, muffler, alloy wheel

Inspectors notes: LSD, pillow-up and bucket rust, aircon not working needs to be checked, driver seat has cut about 10cm, color fade, ceiling dirty, floor side member has scratch and dent, interior sagged, alloy wheel scratch, center cap missing, audio missing hole, left and right inner panel and rear floor has corrosion holes and underbody rust, front windscreen stone chip, scratches, dents, waves, paint cracks, rust, corrosion on some parts of the body

This is not a good car at all.
11-19-2009, 03:09 PM
IMHO it would be sad to brake it... there are people out there who wood fix that up right away and as you know it's not like there are millions of them out there anymore...

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-22-2009, 08:53 PM
I have spoken to the buyer in japan and i am going to recieve some pics this week on the car rear boot assembly inside and out and hopefully underneath as well basically all the rusted areas if the rust isnt too bad then i will save this one and make her whole again Smile
I want to make sure i do this right so wish me luck i need a vote from you guys on what you wil think so let me know and from that i will tally votes and see what every one says.
Thank you for the input hope to hear from you once the pics are up.
11-30-2009, 10:46 PM
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bought a Ae86 and super sca...ny one hel]
11-30-2009, 11:10 PM
fix it - the rust on the floorpan looks like surfacerust so would only need rubbing down and a fresh reseal... and the turrets are easily welded.

that's just my 2p

AE86 ex-daily
12-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Based on these pics that have been sent i think this car shouldnt be that difficult to fix.
I recon that this car is repairable and im going to import it, the rest of the car looks clean and has some nice mods.
Im excited to finally get my 86 i also need to get a body kit and other odds and ends.
Any one with some sound advice what can i use to seal the under neath of the car and prevent further rust ?
12-01-2009, 08:56 PM
wire brush it clean and spay it with underbody/stone chip spray.
you might want to weld up the seams first Smile or treat them with seam seal.
12-02-2009, 02:29 AM
adamsaiyad Wrote:Based on these pics that have been sent i think this car shouldnt be that difficult to fix.
I recon that this car is repairable and im going to import it, the rest of the car looks clean and has some nice mods.
Im excited to finally get my 86 i also need to get a body kit and other odds and ends.
Any one with some sound advice what can i use to seal the under neath of the car and prevent further rust ?

No offense, but you dont have much rain "down" there anyway Big Grin

AE86 GT - SR20DET BlackTop //// Trackday beater
Citroen C4 Coupe VTR - 1.6HDi //// Streetcar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I bought a Hemi - Project Lit'lphant oldeskewltoy 98 46,019 10-18-2023 10:09 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  hachiroll`s rust&lowcompressionrolla project hachiroll 53 44,984 04-24-2012 03:35 PM
Last Post: hachiroll
  can any post sum pics ov carbon hatch/bootlid irish ae86 4 7,014 03-26-2011 07:15 PM
Last Post: irish ae86
  any ideas? mariosh 24 19,809 12-30-2009 09:03 PM
Last Post: Spitfire
  can you do this to an ae86? JwZeroX 12 13,486 09-12-2005 10:54 PM
Last Post: Knudsen