Back Again; 3SGTE in AE86
12-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Why on earth should you change the engine to another make... You can get 220hp out of the original 4A-GE, and with a 4A-GZE with turbo mods can go up to 400... These are of course expensive things, but life is!! But changing to another makes or another "engine family" is at least a lot more work, and propably not that much cheaper eather...

Though this is only my opinion, do as you like Smile Tongue

Totally rebuilding an AE86...
http://www.fintoys.net
http://www.findori.net
http://www.koti.mbnet.fi/teemu-t
Find all posts by this user
12-13-2005, 02:29 AM
Swapping to a completely stock other engine is nearly always a lot cheaper then tuning, most of the time gives a normal powerband (unlike a tuned 4A) and is always more reliable..

Though I do agree that the 4A family has LOTS of growth options still. I would rather swap in a GZE then a SGE.....BOOST is the great equalizer. Which one is cheaper remains to be seen...I guess that it would be close...

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
12-13-2005, 02:52 AM
Agree with NoHachi, engine swap = most reliable way of making more power for little outlay. Think what a 200hp N/A 4A-GE costs, and how it would drive compared to a really mildly tuned 3S-GE.
12-13-2005, 05:31 AM
you ave to look at the reliability diffrence,a 200hp 4a-ge is more pron to damage than a standard beams 3s-ge with the same 200 plus more torque

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Back Again; 3SGTE in AE86]
12-16-2005, 11:05 AM
AAAHHH, some more info for all you guys and galls thinking abouth doing this swap, courtesy of tpr3tc over@the toyota3tc forums:

Quote:The Swap: Here is the part some of you are dieing to read, i have spent countless hours researching the swap and what parts to use, SO DO YOUR OWN DAMN RESEARCH, just kidding, that would be fuked up if i did that, ja ja ja, sorry, back to the swap, so come to find, toyota made a 4s-fe engine, its a 1.8 liter motor, same stroke as a 3sgte, but smaller bore, cool part is it came in the Mark II, and some other cars in Japan, after a couple of months of trying to find one finally snagged one from an importer in miami who had one stashed in a warehouse in orlando, make a long story short, i bought the complete engine and tranny set for $600 shipped to miami, i know, what a steal right, anyway, so the motor is still in miami waiting for one of my friends to bring it up for me to South Carolina.

the transmission, bellhousing, and engine plate bolt to the USDM 3sge, 3sgte, and 5sfe engines, the 4s-fe engine comes with a 8 bolt flywheel wich bolts to the 3sgte 8 bolt crank, it also comes with the right starter matching the bellhousing and flywheel, also comes with the right oil pan and pick up to mount the 3sgte in a vertical position vs the 15 degree lean it normally has over to the intake side, it also comes with some cool looking cast aluminum motor mounts, this engine set also came with the slave cylinder, and clutch fork and throw out bearing carries, and yes the tranny is a W-series tranny, it also comes with a 4s-fe specific coolant pipe that goes from the back of the head to the passenger side front of the engine, engine to tranny stays, so in other words i got my complete RWD 3sgte swap in one cool sweep.

12-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Thumbs up! Respect! Thumbs up! but i just wait with this conversion, i cant use this parts from ta40 carina with 2tc?

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
12-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Nope, 2TC=different engine=different bellhousing=different oilpan=different everything...

This would make the swap a lot easier..though it remains to be seen how much trouble it would be to import the relevant parts from Japan..Still have to solve the other problems though..motormounts, driveshaft etc etc

Imho not worth the trouble of a measly 40hp extra..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Catching up...) OST-082: Nope, never again... at least not without all the parts oldeskewltoy 0 1,221 06-28-2022 09:17 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  OST-045: 5AGTE... again ;) oldeskewltoy 16 11,764 03-27-2018 08:12 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  time to get her back on the road.. worholm 4 5,746 01-21-2017 09:33 AM
Last Post: worholm
  AE86 RESTAURACION FROM GUATEMALA SWAP 3SGTE updated Jan-2011 CIVER 44 68,451 03-09-2015 03:52 PM
Last Post: RT
  Ricks project AE85 (Back together with dyno results) Rick 132 216,116 07-05-2011 11:54 AM
Last Post: Rick