B-30's hachi
07-04-2011, 06:49 PM
B-30's hachi
I have the same sound when turning the wheels . I was wondering where it came from .

ハチロク

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - B-30's hachi]
Find all posts by this user
07-04-2011, 06:56 PM
B-30's hachi
i think it is the topmount. (komt bij renault heel vaak voor. Tongue )

toyota corolla coupe 1985 drift car
toyota corolla coupe 1987 road car.
07-04-2011, 11:26 PM
B-30's hachi
slowboy2 Wrote:i think it is the topmount. (komt bij renault heel vaak voor. Tongue )

Thats also a very good idea!!!

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
07-05-2011, 03:11 PM
B-30's hachi
Well we checked it last night and the sound is coming from beneath the topmounts. It's a result of too much friction between the coil and the dishlike part of the tubular housing which contains the shock absorber. All the protective coating peeled right off the coils so they must be quite old. We oiled it up a bit and it immediately affected the steering (shouldnt need lubricant though..),. much smoother and less noise. It's not completely gone though, it's mostly the left side that has problems.

It's still not smooth as you can sometimes hear the coil suddenly displacing when steering (so it's put under tension and then suddenly releases).

This thursday I already have an appointment at toyota for readjusting the camber so I can also have a better look at it then. Maybe it's time for new coilovers Smile
07-05-2011, 05:48 PM
B-30's hachi

alot better now; not alot to be heard here

[/video]
07-06-2011, 07:12 AM
B-30's hachi
I'm guessing it's because of the cambertops. The stock tops have a bearing in them which allows the strut to turn when you're turning the wheel. As the cambertops look very rusted I think they're not allowing the whole strut assembly to turn which causes only the bottom part of the assembly to turn. This means the spring is rotating/grinding in the top or bottom hat...
07-06-2011, 09:07 AM
B-30's hachi
@bozu

That sounds spot on. I'll just put new top mounts and coilovers (while we're at it) on the ever growing list. Now we just sort of cheated by ridding of the sound but not the problem

Would you do something about it immediately? Or just leave it like this for a while ,i.e. it's only a nuisance and not harming the car. Because tomorrow they're gonna reset the camber, if I buy new stuff afterwards it will have to be done twice >_<
07-06-2011, 09:53 AM
B-30's hachi
I'm a big believer of doing it right the first time so I would put new cambertops in before getting the camber reset, also saves you going over there again. However it might be difficult finding replacement ones within a day.

Wether or not doing something about it immediately is up to you I don't really see any problems with it for now but I would try and get it fixed asap.

One thing that might be bad for the shocks is that the outer part is being rotated in respect to the inner part during steering. I'm not quite sure how this effect the seals in the long run in combination with vertical movement from going over bumps as (I believe) shocks are not designed for this.

But like I said for now it should be alright.
07-06-2011, 02:23 PM
B-30's hachi
The top mounts look like HKS to me, I´d rather just replace the sperical bearing before I get new adjustable top mounts...
Maybe you can buy it from HKS or sometimes cheaper, go to a local bearing store with the old bearing, and they will find a matching bearing.

I did it with my top mounts and it cost aroung 40€ for both sides, which is pretty cheap compared to a new set of adjusties!

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
07-07-2011, 01:51 AM
B-30's hachi
That's a good one didn't think about that! Although I hope you can get the bearing out, I rounded some bolts when I tried to open mine, they were pretty damn tight.