B-30's hachi
06-27-2011, 12:22 PM
B-30's hachi
Hi, I've been lurking around here for a while and posting a bit in the dutch section, but now it's time for a real project page.

short intro; always been infatuated with hachi's, convinced my father working on this car makes a good father son pasttime, so we teamed up to buy one from japan.

specs

sprinter trueno gt-apex '86
64.000km
4A-GE (stock apart from exhaust manifold)
HKS Hi-power exhaust
Recaro seats
Strut bars
Räzo pedals, shifter
Nardi torino steering wheel
auction grade 4-4.5
Yokohama tires
Hayashi street rims
Rust Big Grin

in decent condition, there was and still is alot to be done though. when the car got here it was clear the tires were pretty fucked up, and there was damage to the rear axle. The exhaust was too low, too loud, and under the rear axle + my father wrecked it on day 1 so replaced that too (If anyone wants the old one just ask, it just needs new sealings). All good now. The day I had to get it checked for import the alternator died..new ones are expensive so I had it restored. The AC died 2 weeks ago, thinking about removing it. We also fixed alot of parts that were badly vibrating, which caused terrible noise inside (still some left but acceptable). The rubber seals were almost coming off. I also need new brakes, so I was told at the rdw.

the next thing we'll be focusing on is the rust. There's quite a few bubbles in the paint job, but overall not so much structural rust. The other day the power steering was acting ridiculous but it turned out to be something else; a combination of old coilovers and screwed up camber. This needs to be readjusted at a garage, cause they have awesome lasers and the original values (I checked at the toyota garage) Then there's the gearbox, which suffered alot of abuse from drifting (especially second gear). probably worn out synchromesh rings or bearings. What we haven't figured out is the screech that occurs at around 5000 rpm, might just be the exhaust touching the chassis or whatever.

Our goal is to make it good as new. The interior is pretty neat so there's not alot to be done there. Engine works fine. Driving the car is alot of fun Big Grin

New pictures are coming later this day
Find all posts by this user
06-27-2011, 07:03 PM
B-30's hachi
Nice that you got your father on board.. I wish mine would like working on cars, could have used his years of welding experience well, not too mention it would break the boredom of retirement a bit. Ah well... maybe I'll feel the same with 30 more years of experience under my belt.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-28-2011, 10:33 AM
B-30's hachi
Yeah, it took some effort though, he's more into older (like classic german) cars and wasn't sold on the idea of a 25 year old japanese car at first. He's excited about it now though, the simplicity, refined shape and driving experience is what changed his mind Smile

Aren't you working together with your brother? thought i read that somewhere. I reckon that's alot more relaxing. Working together with someone that has more years of experience is great and all, but there's also alot of shouting and arguing when I don't do exactly what he has in mind. Stubborn old people you know
06-28-2011, 04:57 PM
B-30's hachi
Working with my brother usually involves me getting all kinds of dirty and doing a lot of wrenching, and him looking at the whole ordeal whilst thinking of ways to make even the simple jobs complicated....
Family eh...at least there's a bucket of ice cream at the end of such sessions.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-29-2011, 03:39 PM
B-30's hachi
haha yeah, after all these years since childhood, icecream is still a valuable commodity lol. Although I took care of the whole import process from start to finish by myself, my father also usually does most of the wrenching etc. while teaching me about it in the process. He just takes more initiative since I'm alot more careful with the car and worried about damaging it + he just knows alot more.

Haven't had the opportunity to make new pictures but this one is fairly recent.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - B-30's hachi]

[/img]
06-30-2011, 08:42 AM
B-30's hachi
some time ago. Don't know what make exhaust it is, but it made one hell of a sound. I'll sell it for a low price (edit: sold)

06-30-2011, 04:24 PM
B-30's hachi
manifold [Image: AEU86 AE86 - B-30's hachi]

Coilover settings differ alot per side

Ugly speaker holes which we will fix saturday

Some of the rust. Bubbles seem to appear only on very specific places

Hayashi street Smile
pedals
This thing is hopeless but we paid for this shit and I'm not taking it out. Plus she has a gentle voice. almost got the radio working and it plays cds ohh yeah
back
Emergency flare for dinosaur attacks
Could use a wash
seats are pretty old but comfortable
07-04-2011, 11:27 AM
B-30's hachi
Even fixing up those simple holes proved more difficult than it seemed. The wood has completely turned into mush so we're currently crafting synthetic planks as replacement.

Meanwhile a not so welcome sound is returning (and will get worse). I captured it on video this time. It disappears for a few weeks if the car has been on the bridge.. I was thinking old springs. My father is still set on the idea that it's in the steering mechanism (and likes taking things apart..). Still, we ARE amateurs so I'd like to know if anyone here recognises this?

It sounds and feels horrible when in the car, and it's been worse than this! I know a general car rule is to only steer when the car is in motion, but that doesn't matter cause it makes the same sound at roundabouts or bends.

One thing I am excited about is we localized a vibrating sound at about 1800rpm that made me wanna drive the hachi into a tree. it will be fixed today.
07-04-2011, 12:01 PM
B-30's hachi
I rememder a mates VW Polo with a serious fu**ed wheel bearing making exact the same noise. No matter if he was steering while driving or while standing. The sound was a lot more worse on tight corners and you could feel it on the steering wheel. Smile
Driving in a straight line caused only a very quiet ticking noise!

Just an idea... Tongue

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
07-04-2011, 04:37 PM
B-30's hachi
Thanks for the tip! This will be the first good look we have at it, since in the past when it wasn't this bad my father just said ' it's normal for such an old car' >_<