Anyone have experience with Japan
08-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Hi,
Just thought I'd run this question by you guys, you never know where all of you have been hangin out.
Basically I'd like to ask whether anyone has had any experience with travelling and/or living in Japan? I have an opportunity to go and live in Tokio for half a year as a part of my masters thesis.
The subject of the research I would be doing is pretty interesting (making an overview of all usefull in-car electronic gizmo's they have, and then assessing whether there are ways in which the data they collect could be used to make better traffic flow and travel time predictions). Whats more, the airplane ticket and room-rent would be payed for by my university. Plus I get to publish my findings (if usefull) in a paper for one of the international publications, pretty rare for a student to get that chance.

Thing is, I'm kindoff worried about going in living in Japan. I have no idea of the sort of situation that I would find myself, the difficulties with communicating, finding my way around, getting in touch with other people, understanding the culture etc etc..

I wouldn't like to spend six months of my life in a social vacuum..especially now that I'm starting to have fun again.

Just so you know..Tokio isn't my only option at the moment. I could probably go to MIT in Boston as well, other options are Napoli, Dresden, Berlin etc etc But non of those are likely to come with the financial and educational benefits that Tokio offers.

Anyone out there who could give me an idea of how it is to live out there?

Thanks

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
08-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Man, thats an amazing opertunity, one I would definatly take if it was offered to me.

Fom what I've heard most japs dont speak English, or Dutch Smile , so comunication could be a problem.

Would be so cool, if your out there for 6 months, pick up a nice 86, and blast the touge
08-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Great opportunity! Cool But I can understand your worries, no experience though.....sorry.
Ask http://www.aeu86.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=315 maybe he can help you find your way?

Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
08-04-2005, 12:29 AM
I am doing a degree in English Language with a view to obtaining my TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Its my intention to teach Japanese adults, English via the internet using videoconferance.

I have done quite a bit of reserch, and have a few friends in Tokyo and Osaka. The culture shock will be massive as soon as you get off the plane, but you will get used to it. The Japanese are very polite and also very shy, get a good guide book that has 'do's and donts' (for example you dont pour your own drink, if you are given a business card, it is terrible bad manners to put it directly in your pocket, you should study it carefully, always bring a small gift when visiting, that sort of thing.
Even bathing is different, you wash outside the tub, then get in! and dont get me started on the toilets! (traditional Japanese ones look like animal troughs!)

Driving will be a challenge, in the city there are signs in english, outside its all Japanese,

I have been wanting to go out there for a while, but I dont have the money, but if you have the oppertunity, then go for it!

Look here for loads of info, and the chance to get a Japanese email-pal (a GREAT idea! you can get a point of reference before you arrive!!)

http://www.japan-guide.com/

they have a section on living too http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e625.html

hope some of this helps you, go for it!

still no 86
08-04-2005, 01:33 AM
Japanese people often don't speak english. Be aware. And there is no way you will be able to read Japanese signs.

Broken down 1984 Trueno HB
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Anyone have experience with Japan]
08-04-2005, 11:20 AM
I am not jalous.. Nooo..

Damn I wanne go to tokyo... wherever you go, go tokyo.. yeah!Smile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
08-04-2005, 12:57 PM
"We are continually faced by great opportunities brilliantly disguised as insoluble problems." ~ Lee Iacocca

6 months is not forever, Tokio is a big city filled with civilization, most people speak english and afaik the most important signs are also in english, so I guess it will not be impossible...

just do it...
08-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Reminds me:

http://www.megatokyo.com

check it outSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
08-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Since its good for your studies and job, don't hesitate. Go for it.

Here in Greece we say:
Ο τολμών νικά!

Which means:
He who dares, wins!

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Anyone have experience with Japan] http://www.jdmbits.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks everyone so far.

I'd like to emphesize one thing though..its not a question of whether I'm going to study abroad, but more a question of where

Although I would probably have to pay more myself, Boston MIT is still a pretty good place to spend some time as an engineer. Thing is though, Tokio fascinates me as much as it scares me. I have been searching around on the net for weblogs of people that have done the same thing. What you tend to read is that it is near impossible to get into decent contact with the Japanese. Some even mentioned that the only times they really got to connect with their coworkers was at their welkom party and after that at the going away party...not really my idea of a place that I would like to spend much time..

Then again, maybe they (there were 2 people together) were just two Dutch morons that didn't make enough of an effort...I don't know but would really like to find out...anyone know someone who has been there?

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jauce.com service to buy on Yahoo Auction Japan Blaze0010 2 2,639 07-01-2022 02:29 PM
Last Post: Blaze0010
  Anyone visited Japan? Power_uP 19 11,360 05-19-2019 09:40 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  Does anyone have hookups for shipping engines from Japan? awex 3 5,463 07-21-2009 01:38 PM
Last Post: awex
  Amazing RX7 Meeting in Japan JonnyAE86 15 19,350 08-27-2007 10:01 AM
Last Post: aussiefan
  Visit to Japan Blueneon 15 12,376 05-04-2007 09:34 AM
Last Post: banpei