Anyone experienced with LSD diffs?
09-29-2004, 10:32 PM
I'm now on Gabe Tyler's waiting list for the T3 LSD rebuild kit, the shipping cost is very nice compared to all other items I ordered from the US...only 9 dollars.
Dont we have anyone on the forum who rebuilt his lsd? I need to find out
how to shim an lsd to the correct specs since it still needs to be shimmed to the right tolerances with the T3 kit. Also setting backlash for the ring gear seems like something that needs to be done exactly right.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-19-2004, 02:39 AM
I had lot of trouble with stock LSD. I broke 4 on my rally car( happend very often in rallies with jumps !!) Inside the LSD ? There are discs of course but two major parts called clutch member (lh rh)THese parts are very often broken ( broke 4 ) It's impossible to buy these parts at Toyota as they're out of prices . About 1100€!!!!!.
If these part are in a good shape , don't forget to check the 4 member clutch springs (located on the part i've mentioned above). They are often weak and you 'll be better to change them. I do something to get them harder : fit 1 or 2 washer ( 3 or 4 mm thin).it's a litle improvment on lsd efficiency.ALso did very thin disc by myself(0,5mm) and fitted one on each end of lsd(same shape as last disc) it will get more efficiency too. it's a cheap way to reinforce that part as long as the disc are not completly burned.
Have a nice job and good luck.
Filh

Filh
Save the RWD cars
Find all posts by this user
10-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the additional info Filh.. I'm still waiting for word on the rebuild kit from T3, I'm not very high on the list and he only receives small quantities at a time. Untill I have a new set op clutch plates I'm not touching the diff. I have more pressing matters at the time anyway (finding better springs)

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-19-2004, 01:30 PM
About rebuilding an LSD seeing the old dif from the yellow hachi the plates are broken and gone :-) They are fitted between if you want you could use the old dif to see everything

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
Find all posts by this user
10-19-2004, 02:31 PM
You dont get a new diff when you rebuild one robokill...so when I take mine apart eventuelly I think everything will become clear fast enough.
I'll use T3's rebuild kit if I ever get my hands on it and if that doesnt include springs, maybe buy some new ones or shim the old ones.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switching diffs for disc brakes? trippin 6 1,838 07-08-2022 03:35 AM
Last Post: trippin
  Best quality Diffs gh0st 1 1,053 07-03-2022 07:49 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Upgrading no-LSD diff to LSD one Snejk 22 16,545 04-01-2008 04:46 PM
Last Post: Snejk
  Not understanding LSD - how LSD works surfingdrums 11 14,928 09-13-2006 11:58 AM
Last Post: Mux213