Another suspension topic - The deal with droop
05-30-2014, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 10:42 AM by totta Crolla.)
I don't get the -50mm lowering thing, maybe someone can explain where the measuring is done from ?

Jezza I doubt my B6's would fit into your strut bodies but if they did or you could get some standard struts you are welcome to give them a try or if you are anywhere near Oxford and I have them fitted you could try them on my car if you like.

An analogue brain in a digital World
Find all posts by this user
05-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Springs from wiseco/eibach/koni/... are often marketed as "lowering your car by X mm".
So, if you have a stock car with stock struts stock springs in stock position and standard weight, after installing these springs you will get X mm lowered ride height.
They are made to work with OEM shocks, stiffer just enough so car doesn't hit bump stops on bumps/in turns.
05-30-2014, 01:00 PM
So the stock ride height measured from the centre of the TCA inner mount bolt to ground is 237mm and a lowered 50mm spring will bring this down to 187mm ?

05-30-2014, 02:06 PM
I guess standard way to measure how much car is lowered is from fenderline to center of the wheel.
05-31-2014, 12:17 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 12:23 AM by Jezza_hr.)
(05-30-2014 10:34 AM)totta Crolla Wrote:  Jezza I doubt my B6's would fit into your strut bodies but if they did or you could get some standard struts you are welcome to give them a try or if you are anywhere near Oxford and I have them fitted you could try them on my car if you like.

I would appreciate that. I'm not over your way all too often as I'm in Surrey, but a road trip one weekend might not be too bad an idea. You could also come out for a run in mine to see what you think as a comparison.

It's just a shame that I can't retrofit the CS2s with alternate dampers or have them re-valved. I've been tempted to look into custom softer springs to see if that makes any difference, but like I say, Kam from Driftworks believes it won't solve the issue despite the full adjustment of the dampers.

(05-30-2014 02:06 PM)Uzelac Wrote:  I guess standard way to measure how much car is lowered is from fenderline to center of the wheel.

This is usually how I've measured heights previously (Although, I always measure both struts off the car before installation after height adjustment). However, I would imagine, if you have custom fenders/arches then it's not always accurate.
05-31-2014, 12:42 AM
(05-31-2014 12:17 AM)Jezza_hr Wrote:  
(05-30-2014 02:06 PM)Uzelac Wrote:  I guess standard way to measure how much car is lowered is from fenderline to center of the wheel.

This is usually how I've measured heights previously (Although, I always measure both struts off the car before installation after height adjustment). However, I would imagine, if you have custom fenders/arches then it's not always accurate.

As long as you don't change fenders at the same time as springs you will know if they are "lowering" as promised Smile.
These springs are made for stock cars, either as replacement for tired springs or for guys who just want better looks. Performance is not something most of them are considering, although chances are the car will be bit more better in corners and a bit more less comfortable on bumps.
05-31-2014, 01:23 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 01:24 AM by Jezza_hr.)
(05-31-2014 12:42 AM)Uzelac Wrote:  As long as you don't change fenders at the same time as springs you will know if they are "lowering" as promised Smile.

Yes of course, for just checking on how much a spring has lowered the car I'm sure it's a good frame of reference, but I wouldn't have thought it would be the best reference for checking if you have lowered coilovers to equal length on either side and would be better to measure the strut itself?
05-31-2014, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 10:37 AM by totta Crolla.)
Something else worth considering when modifying struts with one of the weld on 2.25" spring kits is that if you want to use a dual spring, main and helper, the spring 'joiner' will not fit over the weld on threaded coil over tube. You can put the helper spring at the top of the strut but there is still a risk that on full bump the 'joiner' will contact the threaded tube.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the many more 4AGZE questions topic ditn 39 37,536 05-31-2013 11:35 PM
Last Post: ditn
  My braaaakes, what about yours? [brake topic] Bravothreezero 39 39,968 05-09-2012 09:13 PM
Last Post: Ozone
  YES, another Digital Cluster topic kikefasa 4 9,993 07-27-2009 07:13 PM
Last Post: kikefasa
  MAP vs AFM (splitted from smallport sale topic) krijn 12 10,485 10-15-2006 04:25 PM
Last Post: NoHachi
  Kouki grille renew - can't find the topic about it... SutteR 3 3,867 02-04-2006 11:29 PM
Last Post: SutteR