American Rally 86 UPDATE
01-28-2008, 05:30 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
Hi, Im new to this forum, although I have asked some questions here. This is what I've been working on!

So everything here is very old, like 4 months. I just realized I can copy my thread from hachiroku.net and paste it here.... yeah... haha.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - American Rally 86 UPDATE]

And finally, the one action shot my brother got....
The death of sound deadening... hurray for 4 inch chisels!

Oh yeah, heres the supra rear end

The JVAB coil overs I'll be getting

Custom made to application coil overs using bilstien inserts, valves to the spring rate, which is all chosen by vehicle weight, and driving conditions. John Vanlandingham is the guy who makes these, and is super crazy.

Wow, I could have sworn I had an account here... I guess I'm the new guy Sad
Find all posts by this user
01-28-2008, 05:31 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
Heres some of the car before the gutting. Luckily that didnt take too long, as there wasnt much of an interior to begin with.

And here are the "gutted" pics. And yes, if it's visable... I know I missed that one bracket behind the drivers door. haha. I'll get it!

01-28-2008, 05:33 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
Ok, time for an update, and some more pics!

This is the usual steering lock/ignition bracket on the steering column. Note the little "Bridge." This is where the lock lug lives. Well, to steal a corolla, erm, I mean, to disable it for legal purposes, you can just cut the bridge, and pop the lug out.
Well, in rally, you cant have the steering lock, and as I'm too lazy to turn a ket to start my car... I've modified that bracket a bit.

Presto Chango we have-o a steering column *spacer* as the turn signal lever bolts to this peice.
As you can see, I no longer have the "bridge" or the turn key section. Who needs that, anyway?

On a completly different note, some of the new(ish) parts I picked up from the Pull-a-Part are one the car now.
hurray for the latching trunk and tail lights. Right now, they're just on to keep rain out, till I get my garage cleaned out enough to shove a car in it. Smile

here are my ITBs...

01-28-2008, 05:36 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
Ok ... I've actually been doing work! Unfortunently, I dont have the before pix... I was a bit preoccupied sand blasting all my front suspension parts to take pictures. Why? Well, for one, I like inhaling the dust and getting that wierd feeling in the back of my throat (just kidding). The other reasons are one, its good to be rust free and protected and two, they are gonna look sweet freshly painted black. I also scored the entire suspension assembly out of an 86 in the pull a part. Struts (for the spindles to make spares for the my coil overs), control arms, caster tie rods, cross member, and the steering rack. And yes... the engine is still standing! *takes cheesy bow* Thats pretty much it for suspension stuff.

Onto..... Weight stuff!

I've been trying to reduce this thing as much as possible as I have to put a really heavy cage in it (something like 230 pounds Sad ). To make it seem a bit less like a loaded school bus, I've been doing some house cleaning. And parts swapping. Obviously its gutted. I mean SUPER gutted. There is NOTHING on the shell but the rear end and the front crossmember. Not even the wires. Well, there is glass... but not for long. The doors arent even on it. Here is the list of weight savings.

Race seats, no sound deadening, MAYBE lexan side windows, CF hood, racing wheel (does that count? lol), door bars are being removed as I have the 3 cage tubes which actually mount to SOLID points, versus being contained JUST in the door. plus physics tells me that things gonna have inertia when it smacks the side of my cage.... Lets see... I think that may be kinda sorta it. Besides the unsprung weight savings!

I'm replacing the brakes on the car with some Wilwood goodness, as being able to stop would be nice. Here is some random information I have found. The stock Unsprung weight (meaning rotors, calipers for the whole car [and hubs for the front]) is 61#. With the Wilwood Dynalight 4 pot calipers up front and 2 pot in the rear running Bigger front rotors on aluminum bells and stock supra rear end width rotors on bells in the rear its 43.8# unsprung weight for the car. That includes the stock hubs. Now obviously this doenst include the half control arm, half strut, and half tie rod. This is stuff that I can manipulate at the moment. this also doesnt have the custom mounts I have to machine for the calipers. (I bolded and underlined stuff if you dont want to read it all! hmm... too late... oh well)

And finally, I picked up some Toda valve springs from Bob at Drift Office! I got my head back from Rob at Action to do a bit of port clean up then it goes back to him for the final valve cut. Pics on that later. Pics on other stuff too.

01-28-2008, 05:39 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
Ok... well, the garage is finally cleaned up to where I can get my car in it. Unfortunently, its about 2 months too late. What does this mean? My car wont be done in one huge "swoop?"

Febuary 23-25 is the NASA sactioned Doo Wops Rally.

Oh snap.

Crunch time.

So, now that the car is FINALLY able to be welded and ground upon (as my garage is heated, and the humidity is more easily controlled then outside Big Grin ) I have been busily (is that a word?) wire wheeling away at seam sealer, paint, the mysterious bondo covering crash damage??? But luckily the damage is only cosmetic at this point Smile

So, for your view pleasure... pictures!

The only bad rust

Your jealous that you don't have a Champs karting suit you got for free to use as coveralls... right?

And with the conclusion of the pictures, here is the "slimfast" rally car diet

The engine will be the crazy one
The suspension will be done
The Supra axle will be in with the custom 4 links and turret rear
Obviously a cage, im not sure why im putting this line Wink
Custom dash (As I have none....)
Stock tranny
stock brakes

And I think thats the main of it. I'm not really sure, too much to remember. I just look and do, hahaha. Who needs that organizational stuff anyway? Have you seen my ITB's anywhere? erm, I mean yeah.

Any questions?

01-28-2008, 05:39 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE

God? Is that you?

More coming...

01-28-2008, 05:40 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE

Questions? Coments? Hate mail? Death Threats? Donations?

01-28-2008, 05:42 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
Oh yeah, there is the engine

12:1 compression, Weisco Pistons
Clevite 77 bearings
81.5mm bores
Balanced bottom end
Toda valve springs
31.5 mm in valve, 27.5 ex
Ported Small port head
Web Cams Grind 110, approx 284* (256 at .050)
Shimless lifters
For now, stock flywheel4 puck race clutch

Yeah..... Evil

01-28-2008, 05:43 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
Here's some of my stitch welding. DONT LOOK AT THE WELDS!!! I erm... need some practice..... and no, I am NOT welding my cage. I'd like to live, thank you. When I roll it, my co drive will probably be appriciative that I didnt weld the cage!
Now, as ugly as they look, they do have penetration, each and everyone of them, so, I'm not too worried about them. They're were a few in the begining that were just too cold that I had to grind off and do again.

And this is a cage teaser pic. Its my main hoop.
This is where all the problems have started. Front bars didnt work right, the tube notcher was all screwed up, it was terrible. Rather then wasteing time, effort, and patience with trying to rectify bad equipment, I just said screw it and went on to work on other areas. Also, in all the bad came some good. Because of the notcher just sucking balls and making me have to keep notching to get one good clean notch, the tube ended up to short. So I rebent both to be SUPER tight against the cage, I'll get some pics of that later when its all tacked together.

01-28-2008, 05:44 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
Here I am, clearly hard at work
*ahem* After very strenuous and scientific methods, I determined the correct seating postion for optimum driver performance. Big Grin Those are Sparco Corsa seats, btw. Also, these are just the prelim positioning. Theres no brackets, and to get the seat lower (for CG reasons) I removed that lateral reinforcement thing. The seat mounts will re strengthen the area.

And now, here is the evil heater box problem!
So there lies the problem. If its possible to move the blower those few inches inward, I would just do that, but I dont know how feasible it would be... I think instead of trying to fab a new hole, or make a duct I would rather just get a smaller, lighter, heater for the defrosting purposes.

Oh yeah, sorry for the GIANT pics. I just caught that, and I *really* dont want to go back and edit them all. Sorry. Im lazy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 N2 (big update) 86Pilot 110 129,900 09-06-2013 11:33 AM
Last Post: Apsogos
  86er's Track rebuild N2.??? Finally an update page 8 86er 191 244,307 03-25-2012 10:05 AM
Last Post: bozu
  Supercharged Hachiroku "update" roadrunner 20 22,534 06-02-2011 03:27 AM
Last Post: kennedy8383
  AE86 two door 1987. in restoration, in Iceland UPDATE olithor 12 19,511 08-08-2009 12:36 PM
Last Post: rs1800
  AE86... update 25/06.. car might be for sale Eiwiss 57 60,963 08-01-2009 03:16 AM
Last Post: rymax86