American Rally 86 UPDATE
02-19-2010, 01:39 PM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
i feel your pain in everything you are doing Smile

I just redid all my wiring as the amount of shit you have to stretch/move/cable tie to get round the pedals and cage is stupid!

good job on the firewall protection, but, do you know what exhaust manifold you are using? if you have very long secondardys then a collector half way down the car...you will find the navigators (should i say driver's Tongue) get VERY hot. The tunnel doesnt get that hot, its more the route of the exhaust. I had to put pc cooling fans on my ecu as it was getting to 60c degrees because it was close to that part of the floor

I have a dark melted line of paint in the cabin, the exact shape of my exhaust manifold. My navigator keeps his feet way up on the footrest as the floor hurts through his shoes!

Looks great though Smile

Brake with the left hand, steer with the right foot...
Find all posts by this user
08-03-2010, 12:44 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
oh snap!

I forgot to update you guys, when I ran this one on the other forums. I'm sorry!! Huh

Well, I think now that it’s been a little longer then forever, its time for an update, shall we?

Anyhow. Here it goes…

We got the wiring semi sorted. This means that everything that we need has been identified, separated, and marked. Plugs have been matched to the mating switches and buttons and dials and whatever they stick into. The fuse block may be moved to behind the center console, so nothing has been cut out yet… but it will be thinned and only the wires used will be kept.

The ViPEC has been sorted and our crank trigger has been water jet cut out and pressed onto a new Toyota OEM crank pulley. Unfortunately, I’m lame, and forgot to take pics before we sent it off to get balanced with the rotating assembly and clutch cover.

Which brings me to my next point; my clutch has made its guest appearance. I’m the proud new owner of an ACT 4 puck solid center clutch with a heavy duty pressure plate.

On the machining/head work side, I’ve had the most horrible luck lately. I found out that Toda valve springs and Web Camshafts’ 110 grind do not mix well together. There is coil bind. So I had to get new valve springs. Enter supertech. I bought the supertech valve train kit which had dual valvesprings, titanium retainers, new keepers, valve guides, and seals. Problem solved. And [potential, but un realistic] redline problems eliminated.

As for what I’ve actually been doing to the CAR, I’ve gotten a bit of stuff done! The front suspension is more complete, as the front radius rod things are on now, and I’m working out a new sway bar attachment, as the stock one doesn’t work with the coil overs.

I got the steering rack in today, after hunting for the brackets and the bushings. Once I found the brackets, I painted them black, and installed them after they dried. The reman’d rack I have didn’t come with tie rods, so I need to dig my new ones out from upstairs and install those, so I can hook the rack up to the steering arms on the knuckles.

Body work wise, I got the trunk lid all sanded down and painted the inside. The outside is ready to be wiped down and painted, but will not be painted until its on the car. The driver’s door is the same story, but there is a little bit of exterior work left to do that I can’t do until the doors are hung. I did however jam (paint the inside jams of the door, the parts you see when the door is opened) the driver’s door, so now I just need to make some door panels. The passenger side is all taken apart and ready to be sanded, but I had to stop for the night, as it was 10pm.

I should have some new pics up soon, I just need to find where I stuck them, haha. And take some of the new work.

Wow, I could have sworn I had an account here... I guess I'm the new guy Sad
08-12-2010, 01:22 PM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - American Rally 86 UPDATE]
Sort of an overall side shot. Too lazy to take the whole tarp off, haha.

Rear suspension being sorted out.

Third member getting put together. LSD got taken apart, inspected, and re clearanced. The plates seemed good. Sealed in its bag to keep dust and shit out! Big Grin

the awesome little tool Dad designed and I welded to make tightening the round screw plate things easier. It also tightens the main caps holding the diff down.

Rear axle ready

Random pic of the front hub awaiting new bearing races

The head is back and the valve's seem to be almost done. We may be backing cutting the 45* face on the valve itself do to our particular application. After setting up a dial indicator (the little ones that read crazy accurate, not the bigger ones, that didnt work) we were able to match valves to ports and we seem to be within clearance for every port for the one piece yaris lifters. Ah... developmental engines...

We got the brake caliper side of the brake bracket drilled to mate to the strut piece and found a problem. Apparently, there isn't room for the bolt head that joins them, as it rubs on the rotor. A lot. So we redesigned the hole to use a different style bolt [name escapes me...]. I'll get pics when it's done. It will be easier to understand if you see it.

Basically, I'm just chipping away at stuff to get the car off the rotissorie so Marcus doesn't come down and steal it Smile haha.

01-08-2011, 08:17 PM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
dazed_driver

hey dude where did you get your suspension from,what brand is it ,and what spring rates have you chosen?im building a similar rally car so just trying to find out what suspension would suit my car best based on other peoples reviews and comments.

thanks

scott
03-01-2011, 10:59 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
Hi Scott, it's made by a crotchety old man here in the states named Vanlandingham. He's a pain in the ass to deal with, but his stuff gets pretty good reviews and is fairly priced.

UPDATE

oook, so this is what's been going on.

All. Hell. Has. Broken. Loose.

Anything that COULD go wrong on the head, has. The valves were too short, cut the margin down, still too short, got custom valves, now too long (I suppose this is better)

Ordered a BUNCH of bolts for suspension and such. Only 7 were the right pitch. Out of 20 (of the bolts that ACTUALLY matter. You know, the nice strong ones for the front suspension and brake system....) We had to ship them back, and get new ones shipped here. But then they were too long... so again... shipping time... ugh.

On the positive, I've built a handbrake.

The third member is done.

The front sway bar situation is getting taken care of- I've figured it out.

The fuel rail has been figured out.

The injectors and pump mess is sorted

The FPR is sorted

And probably a lot more stuff I'm forgetting. Pics will come soon. Bare with me. Sorry it's been so long, life is busy, you know? I switched careers from mechanics to in home sales consulting. I'm really busy these days, but this car is GETTING done. Pics soon!!!

06-01-2011, 10:26 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
scott Wrote:dazed_driver

hey dude where did you get your suspension from,what brand is it ,and what spring rates have you chosen?im building a similar rally car so just trying to find out what suspension would suit my car best based on other peoples reviews and comments.

thanks

scott

Scott,

Sorry for the delay in response, lol.

Its from a local guy here in Washington in the US. I don't recommend him, he's hard to deal with, and very opinionated and not open to suggestions from people he deems "unworthy."

06-01-2011, 10:27 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
The body shell is white. The trunk lid is white. The two valance plastics and one front bumper corner are black. The fenders, doors, and hood are ready to be white. They will be soon.

The sway bar is fabricated, together, and attached. The car is on the ground. Or rather, it was, before I took the rear end off to replace some bolts on the brakes and bend the brake line. But it will be back shortly.

The super tech shim under buckets have arrived, as have my shims. No Yaris shims for me. (Bob should be pleased, haha)

Driver's side seat mount is done, and the holes are located and drilled in the seat mount bars.

The airbox is sorted, and installed. The lid is slightly under construction.

The plenum is half built.

I'm taking inventory of weather stripping, gaskets, lights, wiring, etc, things that can go on the now painted bodyshell. Making a pile and checklist of things to install.

The fill plate for the fuel cell is half made. I need to order some AN fittings for my teflon lines.

Things left to fabricate:

Co driver seat rail/mounting
Fuel cell lid/bulkhead
Outer half of plenum
Outer lid of airbox
and maybe a few other small things.

06-01-2011, 10:27 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE

06-01-2011, 11:23 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
Wow, some serious work going on, well done man.

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
06-03-2011, 08:54 AM
American Rally 86 UPDATE
So, because the spec of this car has changed SO many times, here is a quick run down of what is actually on the car/ going to be installed.

BODY SHELL

100 percent stitch welded
All under coating removed and bottom painted
All extra unused bracketry removed
All "extra" sheet metal removed
Sun roof filled in
8 pt roll cage (12 if you count the A and B pillar gussets)
Lexan Side windows (not counting door windows)

SUSPENSION

Bilstein based Coil overs. 14in springs. ~9.5in travel in the back, ~7 in the front.
Custom front sway bar, based on SR5 bar (will be making a GTS flavor after car is running)
Custom 4 link rear end. All equal length, and much, much longer.
Adjustable panhard, heim jointed.

BRAKES
Custom wilwood front brake kit, 10x.86" rotors 4 pot calipers
Subaru Impreza rear calipers on 10x.38" rotors
Stainless braided lines ran off regular hard lines
Tilton Mini master cylinders .625 and .75
Custom fabricated hydraulic handbrake, wilwood MC

ENGINE

7 Rib block fully deburred
Small port head fully deburred and ported by ASP in Kent
Silvertop ITBs on a T3 manifold w/ T3 stacks will custom plenum and airbox setup
Wiseco 12:1 CR forged pistons
Stock rods
Stock crank
ARP head studs
Web Cams (Grind 110) 284 dur 10.1mm lift
Supertech valve train kit (Dual valve springs, titanium retainers, thin valve seals, etc)
Supertech shim under bucket kit
Oversized valves
ViPEC v44 ecu

DRIVELINE
t50 for now
Custom 1 piece driveshaft
7.5" Toyota axle w/ LSD and 5.29 final drive

COCKPIT
Sparco Corsa seats
Schroth Profi II Hans 6 pt driver belts FIA
Geforce or Schroth 3" 6 pt co driver belts FIA
AIM or RacePAK digital dash
Custom gas and brake pedal with fabricated dead pedal
Sparco wheel

EXHAUST
Will be custom made rally spec by Magic Auto
Martellius Header (yes... the weird one!) (Once I get my bonus check, haha)

Just figured I'd update this. I may have forgotten something. If you have a question, feel free to ask!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 N2 (big update) 86Pilot 110 129,896 09-06-2013 11:33 AM
Last Post: Apsogos
  86er's Track rebuild N2.??? Finally an update page 8 86er 191 244,295 03-25-2012 10:05 AM
Last Post: bozu
  Supercharged Hachiroku "update" roadrunner 20 22,531 06-02-2011 03:27 AM
Last Post: kennedy8383
  AE86 two door 1987. in restoration, in Iceland UPDATE olithor 12 19,508 08-08-2009 12:36 PM
Last Post: rs1800
  AE86... update 25/06.. car might be for sale Eiwiss 57 60,952 08-01-2009 03:16 AM
Last Post: rymax86