Thread Closed 
Almost didn't make it.
09-09-2005, 07:38 AM
Almost didn't make it.
what is your susp build like cause if you have body roll unless you unloc your tires right away you will just push through sliding forward instead of the way you want it
Find all posts by this user
09-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Almost didn't make it.
RCA would help cure the understeer.
also have a softer setting at the front than the rear on the shock.
lower the front a little bit more than the rear if got coilover.
lower the front tyre pressure than rear.

as mention, it's way too dangerious to practice on the public road. can't see the traffic ahead. and couldn't take the right apex. keep it safe.

LONG LIVE TOYOTA!!
09-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Almost didn't make it.
sniper- you have yet so much to learn, grasshopper. start the drift earlier, from your drawing you are coming in too fast and expecting F1 handling. start the slide before the start of the turn, so you can be sideways at the apex. expect slower speeds at the apex. once you pass it then mash on the gas to power out of the turn. then straighten out. dont fight the wheel cause then you will just spin out of control.

starting a correct drift will scare you at first. you will have to use a combination of techniques to get the drift you want. try using the brakes to shift the weight up front, then clutch, handbrake and steer into the turn then counter, slide almost to apex, release handbrake, release clutch, gas gas gas, then full throttle. be confident, but dont think you can just go out and do what i said. practicex10. DO NOT try clutch kick until you are better.

best advise, learn at an open lot. never a road with obstacles. unless you love changing parts on the side of the road. besides i bet you dont carry spare parts with you anyway. that was a big concern when i used to street drift years ago in nihongo-land. always carry the common spare suspension parts that you will bend hitting curbs and other stuff; i.e. tie rods, tension rods, panhard rod. carry two full size spare tires. ALWAYS go with two or more cars. have plenty of tools to get the job done. the best night out is when you can drive home, even if you crash and spend all night fixing your car. its cheaper than a tow truck.

sorry for the lecture!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Almost didn't make it.]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Almost didn't make it.
SuperG, nice info manSmile I never thought seriously about taking spares with me on a night out (I never really go out at night *yet*, holland sucks) but it is actually a good idea.. Even at the track I don't but then again, there is always a mate with a towtruck if the unthinkable happensSmile

In the end though, my motto is always be safe, always practice in an environment that is relatively safe if you want to keep your material, and more importantly yourself, in one piece.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
10-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Almost didn't make it.
Its been awhile since Ive psoted her and a long time since that event. I was going in neutral down the hill and when I began to turn i shifte din 2nd while turning but I was not turning the direction that I wanted...My tires dont seem to have much grip, My rear tires need to be wider ot i need to get spacers...

Havent really drifted since then..to dangerous, i dont want to damage my car in anyway, shapr or form...

btw, my clutch cluif or master cylinder needs to be replaced so my 86 is grounded for a while...

still have the Bmer!

Sniper
-----------------------------
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5
1989 BMW 535i
1986 Volvo 740 GLE
-----------------------------
03-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Almost didn't make it.
Also, if you locked the brakes or if you had abnormally low or high tire pressure, it could cause understeer. What I'm thinking happens to me a lot in my SR5 because one tire leaks slowly... If you have too low tire pressure in your front tire/tires the sidewall could roll over, and seem to have no grip at all until it catches and your car suddenly changes direction without you changing steering input. Or if overinflation is the case, the tires contact patch might be reduced because it's sort of bulging out on the bottom, combine that with improper weight shift and is insta-understeer. But I'm probably wrong and it was just improper weight shifting by itself lol It's easy to mess that up. I slid into a ditch sideways the first time I messed up... luckily I didn't break anything on the car.

BTW, I don't know about not learning with clutch kicks, maybe I'm just insane but thats the technique I started learning with, in the rain actually, then went right into feint by the end of the week... spun out twice, lol. I only ever used the e-brake if I felt like I didn't feint properly and was going to understeer. Or for 180s, but that doesn't count lol But I guess learning that way is kinda dangerous lol
03-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Almost didn't make it.
Also, this is a very old topic you diged out of the dust. Look at the dates.
BR

ZaX

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
Thread Closed