Thread Closed 
Almost didn't make it.
08-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Almost didn't make it.
Wow...I was practicing my drifts and on this one corner my car didnt react and kept sliding front sideways and almost into the gaurd rail.

I was 2 feet away from the guard rail, but then the actual drift kicked in and i saved my car from certain damage!

This area is pretty wideopen, no cars, just a sharp turn with alot of room. LSDs, where art thou?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Sniper
-----------------------------
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5
1989 BMW 535i
1986 Volvo 740 GLE
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Almost didn't make it.
Whow lucky you!!

I have a vid of an MX5 having the same problem, but he didn't miss the guardrail.....

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
08-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Almost didn't make it.
Be carefull dude!!
08-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Almost didn't make it.
Drifting on puplic roads is so damn dangerous....

Youtube Myspace and I´ll Google your Yahoo
08-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Almost didn't make it.
Aaah under!

Broken down 1984 Trueno HB
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Almost didn't make it.]
08-12-2005, 03:15 AM
Almost didn't make it.
I wasn't going to do a full speed drift, i usually attempt it when I can see on the other side of the turn, making sure theres no pedestrians and cars, but my the car wasnt responding the way I wanted it to and kept sliding forward...

BTW, i didnt draw the guard rails, that white line represents a stop sign line for another street that starts after that curve

Sniper
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5
1989 BMW 535i
1986 Volvo 740 GLE
08-12-2005, 06:17 AM
Almost didn't make it.
I've had the same problem, many times infact. In motorsport they call it "pushing", prob beacuse the nose of the car is pushing rather than going around the corner.

I have kind of thought that the problem could be a number of things. 1 being bad tyres with low grip on the front, 2 The suspension is standard and doesnt allow good compression or has slow reaction time when trying to corner hard. 3 The car comes into the corner to fast or "hot" as they say in motorsport and the cars weight hasnt move correctly.

I really need to get some adjusterble suspension and good tyres in my car so I can do some testing and figure some things out.

But yeah, its freaky to say the least.

Huh

I once read that you shouldnt believe everything you read.
08-12-2005, 07:02 AM
Almost didn't make it.
James, it's called understeering! Wave
Just kick your clutch / pull e-brake or shift more weight and you'll be fine. Smile

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Almost didn't make it.]
08-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Almost didn't make it.
I didnt do neither, it was an inertia drift, i think. My tires dont have great grip, which is probably the reason for my loss of control, i wasnt accelerated in the entry but when i wanted to slide, thats when i had little control

Im not a drift expert, so all i can say is, i almost ran into the guardrail.

Sniper
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5
1989 BMW 535i
1986 Volvo 740 GLE
08-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Almost didn't make it.
Sort-of had the same problem this morning...but it was on a roundabout, not a hill (Holland is the flattest country on the face of the planet..).
It was a bit wet and it understeered straight forward (I was coming at it at 'fun' speed). I managed to get it to snap into a spot of oversteer, and then snap it right back the other way so I didnt hit the outside either...It get's the juices flowing at 7:30 in the morning Big Grin
My suspension setup at the moment is about 6kg front 3kg/mm rear and works pretty well on dry roads, but the front with rally springs is way to high compared to the lowered rearend, making it hard to shift weight forward on slippery roads..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Thread Closed