Fuel smell
06-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Fuel smell
and something missing !
I have had a fairly strong fuel smell for a while now and I had a look under the car today.
The previous owner had fitted some protection sheets over the fuel lines that run under the car towards the rear. When I removed the sheets I found two things, one steel pipe with a factory U bend that should have a rubber pipe attached to something but it's missing.
More worryingly a pipe that had been cut, unsurprisingly the fuel smell is coming from this area.
Does anyone know what should be attached to the U pipe ?
Better still does anyone have a diagram of the fuel lines ?
Thanks, TC

An analogue brain in a digital World
Find all posts by this user
06-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Fuel smell
Maybe a picture could help?
There is usually a open end for the gas tank vent, but not sure if that helps...

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
06-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Fuel smell
I'm not very good at posting piccy's Confused lol
The open end thing is interesting but I can see a kind of swaged end to the pipe and evidence of something going on it.
On a right hand drive car it is on the driver side rear next to the chassis rail under the floor about in line with the link bar bolts. It is a steel pipe that comes from the tank direction and then makes a sharp U turn back.
Maybe someone could have a look at theirs for me ?

06-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Fuel smell
As I recall there are 3 pipes connected to the pump housing. One fuel feed, one fuel return, and a breather pipe. Methinks it's the breather with the bend in it, but you should be able to tell by the diameter of the pipe.
Only the fuel line and the fuel return run towards the front of the engine.
I think the breather is usually connected somewhere to the filler neck but am not sure.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Fuel smell
Ah ok, I'll blow a little compressed air down it tomorrow and see where it goes. Will let you both know.
thanks
Oh and I think the broken pipe is a disused brake pipe. Lines are inside now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4AGE - Engine Smoke and Smell pack 10 12,555 04-20-2017 05:06 PM
Last Post: Bean
  Clutch burnt smell izanagi 10 13,367 09-05-2014 05:41 PM
Last Post: allencr
  4age Gas smell ae86canarias 4 8,402 07-02-2012 04:21 PM
Last Post: ae86canarias
  Toyota MR2 MK1 4AGE fuel rail same as hachi fuel rail ? Ian.G 3 4,187 09-16-2005 09:22 AM
Last Post: jamiemirror