Aftermarket Cams, IDLE issue.
07-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey Guys,

Installed my Camtech 266 degrees 8.75mm lifts Cams today, can feel the extra punch around mid to top end and also revs nicely to redline as in before it would chocked up top end.

Also, adjusted the TPS screw next to the TPS sensor to over come the car from shutting down after braking. All good.

NOW:

Only problem i have now is that car would not IDLE nicely, it would be stable for less than a min and would just fluctuated and then the car would shut off on its own. By the looks of it, its properly ranning lean, correct me if i'm wrong?

What would i need to do to over come this IDLE problem? Adjust the idle controller?

Its currently IDLING on 1200rpm

Bear in mind, i'm ranning stock JDM ECU on JDM 4age 16v blue top.

Any tips, advice would be much appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Find all posts by this user
07-07-2009, 05:42 PM
If you read the other projects (cams with stock engine) here you can understand the problem of idle cant be stable.
I had 272 dur and 10,5 lift cams with stock ecu and the idle was (could be stable) 1400rpm but usualy was 1300-1600rpm.

**COROLLA EE80 - 4AGE 124HP**
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Aftermarket Cams, IDLE issue.]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Yes mate, i have read, thing is, the spec of my cams are ideally designed for or to ran stock ECU, few ppl on here are rannning much bigger cams than what i'm ranning especially like your self 272 degreees with 10+ lifts, obviously cams those size would suffer from bad idling without an tunable ecu.
If i was to go for those bigger cams, i would definitely be ranning tunable ecu, but in mean time, i stuck to my budget and got my self a cams that would work with stock ecu without any issues, now, i realised it isn't as easy as company claiming bolt on and can ran stock ecu, until i can sort out this idle issue than i would believe/trust what the company has claimed and be happy chap.

Cheers
07-07-2009, 07:56 PM
I also have idle issues where it fluctuates and idles smooths @ around 1200rpm all i know is that the car has got HKS cams, and boxer fueling computer running on the standard ecu. I dont know wht specs are my hks cams as i havent took it apart and read it but it happens just wouldn't idle properly. I also had a problem where the engine will just stall when idling, been messing with the timing and now it doesn't stall.
07-07-2009, 08:20 PM
you have read this post

AE86_Z
Wataru

1985 Toyota Corolla AE86 (early Levin)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all!

All the parts installed Smile

Conclusion:
HKS 272 8,1 camsahfts with factory ECU can't idle normally and the engine usable after 3000rpm. But the sound is really nice Smile
We tried to advance and retard both cams 5 degrees. The butt dyno said it was better on -5 -5. We have some problems with setting the ignition timing, bacause of the crappy idle.

On the other hand:
The engine pulls very strong above 6000 rpm. I think I have got at least 10 extra HP at topend. The 7800 limit is not enough. I'm sure about the engine can't reach the peakpower at 7800.

On friday we will go to dyno, and trying to finally tune the cams with factory ECU. I don't mind the shit idle and weak power under 5000 because it is racecar. But I can't advise these cams for streetable use with factory ECU.

I need to buy a stand alone or a piggyback ECU to reach all of the extra power what cams can do.

Also installed: the HKS oil up kit and new oilpump (hicomp 4AGE) for more oil pressure
"idle" 500-1000 - 2-3 bar
>2500 - 6-7 bar

Question:
I'm planning to buy a Greedy E-Manage Ultimate piggy back. This version of the E-manage can move the revlimiter but only if it's a fuelcut. Does anyone knows it's fuel or ignition cut in the 4AGE ecu?

Pics:
http://ae86.blog.hu/2008/08/09/nyaraltunk_1

http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/cams-for-...stock+4age[/u]

07-08-2009, 02:35 PM
this is very very simular charactistic to my car

thx for the post Thumbs up!
07-08-2009, 05:25 PM
so you didnt read/search good in the forum!!!
welcome!

07-10-2009, 03:21 AM
tolisspi Wrote:so you didnt read/search good in the forum!!!
welcome!

Anyways, sorted out the idle issue, its idling perfectly. Thumbs up!
07-10-2009, 08:56 AM
kool mints Wrote:Anyways, sorted out the idle issue, its idling perfectly. Thumbs up!
Sooooooo..... what did you do ? I have been working on a similar problem
and apart from reducing the cam overlap (which hurt power) I haven't
found a real good answer Undecided

Cheers... jondee86
07-10-2009, 03:51 PM
played around with the timing and idle controller, took a few days to get to sweet spot, but still idling at around 1200rpm, at least it doesn't turn off. Next up will be installing the ITB, i believe i will run into more problems with the ITB without ECU but at this stage might be looking into Apexi SAFC.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PWR light issue and no brake fluid after winter storage magpie 10 1,520 05-25-2023 08:09 AM
Last Post: Bean
  No idle below 2000 rpm rich running Steller Engineering 3 1,001 11-30-2022 02:45 PM
Last Post: RolanTHUNDER
  Fuel pump issue DJexor 11 3,739 04-29-2022 05:45 AM
Last Post: Bean
  Engine starts/revs but no idle GenkiMotors 17 5,717 11-20-2021 04:12 AM
Last Post: GenkiMotors
  Clutch Issue Deaty 8 3,543 04-09-2021 10:26 PM
Last Post: Nakilad