What suspension set up are people using?
06-13-2017, 11:30 PM
looking to see what suspension people are running be it coilovers / shocks & springs or both.

currently have KYB new SR series shocks and springs all round. wanting to get the car lower and to handle a bit better. Car Isn't a daily driver. used for back roads and track use.
I've had BC on my Beams Celica and St205. a lot for the money but pretty hard even on the softest setting and nightmare to adjust once they where on the car for anymore than 3 months. I've also had Cusco on my Glanza which I cannot complain about.

So what's about and what are people using? is it best to go for all one make or go for custom set up with different shocks and springs? go for inserts at the front?

I'm not wanting BC if I can help it. don't mind cutting and welding for inserts.
Find all posts by this user
06-14-2017, 02:06 AM
TRD all around the car on mine. They're the short stroke version. Very happy with the setup.
06-14-2017, 08:22 AM
No idea what to find mounted under the car as I had other priorities first, but I suspect to find stock springs with stock shocks. Big Grin

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - What suspension set up are people using?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-14-2017, 10:07 AM
After the stock setup I first switched to Tokico HTS long stroke inserts with Apex springs (only about 35mm lower). Wasn't too happy with the springs but still a decent setup. Then I switch to Shockworks coilovers (based in Australia) and never looked back, the matching of the dampers and springs is excellent. Spring rates are in the 6/4 region so not too harsh but not soft either.
For what's it worth iirc BC offers a soft sprung version now for the AE86 I'm not shure how good the dampers match though.

AE86 ex-daily
06-14-2017, 10:08 AM
(06-14-2017 02:06 AM)decryphe Wrote:  TRD all around the car on mine. They're the short stroke version. Very happy with the setup.

Whats the deal with short stroke? Is that just for inserts for OEM units?
06-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Pretty much what it says on the tin. The damper has a short travel, therfore you can't use too soft springs without risking to bottom out. Also the front strut (due to the damper cartridge being a lot shorter than the original design intended) needs to be customised in most cases to fit them and not make the travel range even shorter than it already is.

AE86 ex-daily
06-19-2017, 02:46 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2017 02:52 AM by oldeskewltoy.)
I'm running the hts long stroke (model 112), with custom springs - roughly 6/4.

As to suspension - my LCAs are about 13mm longer(adjustable). In addition I'm using most of a TRD bushing kit.

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
06-20-2017, 12:58 AM
I've been in talks with meisterR suspension in the UK and they are going to start making coilover units for the 86. They are looking at a 6/4.5 spring rate once corner balanced and testing. I believe they are starting production with the as of now.
07-06-2017, 05:26 AM
I'm sticking to fixed perch at the moment. We can't do any major modification to cars registered with Historic plates around here, so no coilovers for my 86, not much lowering, not anything crazy... which hey, it's not that bad now that I think about it because I'm not spending that much money on parts so I can focus on fixing some important things Wink

I'm running the same Koni Sports / Apex springs it had when I bought it. Not that I'm unhappy with that combo for the use I put on the car, but I'd like to do some research eventually -limited to the fixed perch / full stroke setups, of course.

Maybe I should just find me some nice springs to pair with my Konis, as the Apex springs always seemed like the weakest link in the chain to me. It doesn't help that I can't find much info on them, either...

But they're OK, a little firmer than stock and definitely good for learning the car and having fun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using a different diff in an AE86 megabob 6 7,339 02-17-2015 03:37 PM
Last Post: megabob
  Using stock gauges with an engine conversion Escy 8 7,342 10-04-2013 03:42 PM
Last Post: Jezza_hr
  tacho issues using haltech e6x on 4ag 20v bluehachi 5 6,542 06-05-2013 06:34 PM
Last Post: Rasteirinho
  Using a VAFC on a 4agze heshan 4 4,839 06-15-2012 06:58 PM
Last Post: heshan
  How to adjust camber on the front using standard adjustment? JDMitch 14 18,613 06-17-2011 04:55 PM
Last Post: Andrax