Ae86 Wind Tunnel Test.....
09-20-2010, 09:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY7bjRqI0sg

i wanted to see the difference between wing & no wing but i don't own a 10 millinon dollar ...wind tunnel machine.... so i did the best next thing

and i thought this would be useful information...
if you guys know of tests done on a ae86 please post them cuz i have found none

tools i used ....a humidifier, double sided tape & piece of wood to stick the model to

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ae86 Wind Tunnel Test.....]

Reppin' the old skool....Drive Drift Dream
Find all posts by this user
09-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Kudos for going ahead and trying your own experiments Thumbs up!

Couple of remarks:
If your scale model is 1/10th the size of the real car, and you're using air as your medium, then flow velocities would have to be 10 times higher then the flow velocity of the real car you're trying to model. This is on account of something called the Reynolds number (do a wiki search if you're curious)

Aka modelling airstream around a car at 60+mph requires a 600+mph airstream round your model. Judging from your vid, you have a good estimate of your car at parking lot speeds Smile

If you want to do simple grass roots research, a couple of things that would be interesting are:

Coast down tests. Measure the time it takes to coast down from a constant speed A to speed B. The faster you go, the bigger the aero influence will be and the better the results. Compare wing vs no wing to get an estimate of the added aero drag. Real simple to do. You could also do the reverse with accelerations.

There are also ways to practically measure the aero download. What you'd have to do is drive the car as fast as is legal for you. At a constant speed measure the deflection of the rear springs.
The expensive way to do this is with big buck linear potentiometers. The easier way would be to aim one of those key chain cameras onto your panhard rod and keep track of its angle. Less stiff springs probably help in letting you see anything. The car should sag more into its springs at speed or possibly lift less out of them.

My guess would be that it probably doesn't do that much for the overal aerodynamics. But would be cool to see someone quantify things.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-20-2010, 01:08 PM
hmm ...i have a leaf blower that pumps out 230 mph i was going try it on the real car....and tape up small strings and see what it does

now on the scale test i can try to hook up the humidifier to the blower ....to see what the flow will look like.......i been searching on aero tests on the ae86 but couldn't find none that's why i said screw it i'll do my own..lol

Reppin' the old skool....Drive Drift Dream

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 Slalom GroupH airfield test !!! kid 4 6,579 04-05-2011 02:22 PM
Last Post: kid
  crash test with trueno coupe cannabolic 9 11,662 06-11-2009 02:00 AM
Last Post: Apolan
  durability test of a hachi lasse 8 7,112 12-06-2005 11:42 PM
Last Post: WKD RWD