Adjustable steering column
07-09-2012, 11:15 AM
I have issues with my legs hitting the steering wheel (and hard to heel and toe), does anyone know if the adjustable wheel column allows the wheel to be raised or is all the adjustability lowering it from where the fixed position is???

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
07-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Not an answer to your question, but have you tried extending the steering wheel closer to your chest? That almost always brings the steering wheel up and out of the way and also allows better leverage over te wheel meaning a smaller wheel can be used.

Thats the way I solve the issue in most of my cars, and most of them were a lot worse then the AE86. How tall are you?

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I'd say the adjustability is only usefull for smaller persons.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Ivan141 Wrote:I'd say the adjustability is only usefull for smaller persons.

I agree. I have an adjustable column and have it set the highest it can be and I still hit the wheel when doing heal and toe (So i think when its at it highest its not much higher then the non adjustable column). A deeper wheel helped me so a wheel extension should do it.

If you have a bucket seat you could also look into lowering the seat with lower rails.

My Hachi Roku
07-10-2012, 02:57 PM
I had a height adjustable column on my car when it had power steering (JDM Levin GTV). Now I have a manual rack I have a fixed column - the extra force you have to use on the steering makes the adjustable one move too much.

I'm 6ft tall and have a strangely long inside leg (34" oo-er) so I know what you mean. The way I solve this problem is to mount the seat in the car as low and far back as possible (like to drive without too much of a bend in my legs) and use removable steering boss with another 50mm extender bolted to it. No issues with my legs going anywhere near the wheel.

Regards Ian.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Adjustable steering column]
07-12-2012, 08:15 AM
I am about 178cm. The seat is positioned behind the rail (its a Sabelt seat). I could more the wheel closer, but really if I can also get another 5 or 10mm more height from using an adjustable column Ill do that also. The seat an not go any lower, its as low as it can physically go.

I have an electro hydraulic PS system installed. Just converted from manual steering.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Click in steering column? DJexor 2 618 07-17-2023 08:26 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  How to replace the steering column UJ? Mylesmck 4 1,454 05-14-2022 07:40 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Play between steering column and intermediate shaft after manual rack sonversion DaLanZhu 5 5,705 07-31-2019 11:28 AM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Build your own adjustable fuel pressure regulator ;) oldeskewltoy 8 19,393 08-19-2018 12:08 PM
Last Post: AlexKTM
  Why Manual Steering Rack ?? Power Steering Removal juantonwan 26 39,928 10-02-2014 06:07 PM
Last Post: mad.matt