Abby
04-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Abby
succes in ieder geval! nice project

http://bruutt.blogspot.nl/
Projects: Lancer evo 4 rs, ae86 drifter, carina ta60 4a-ge & ae82gt twin cam..
Find all posts by this user
04-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Abby
After a couple of hours grinding away with various abrasive drill-add-on-units-thingies:

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Abby]

It's a bit banged up due to previous owner trying to take things apart. Oh well, guess I can bang it back Smile

Just going to sand it down by hand a bit the remainder of the week and going to paint it black using heat resistant paint. It's not hammerite or motip brand, but some unknown brand bought at a pro painter shop who just happened to have a project working on some ships and ship exhausts.. So should be good Smile

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Abby
Heya!

Got another 4age fitted into the hachi, but now I have some other issues:

- Engine cranks
- Engine starts
- Engine idles at 800rpm........ for just a few seconds, engine stalls.

Using throttle doesn't help: car dies, probably even quicker.

Going to check out the car tomorrow using the ECU troubleshooting guide, so I have some questions:

- What kind of wire can I use to plug into the diagnostics port? (would even a paperclip be workable/reliable?) How thick/thin can it be?

- The diagnostics port seemed gunked up with grease. Any easy way to clean that up?

05-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Abby
I would say its the fuel pump relay not being properly controlled.
When I first installed the megasquirt on my car I forgot to connect the wire from the megasquirt to the fuel pump relay and the symptoms where exactly the same.

Turning the car key to the on position activates the relay (and fuel pressure is created) but after the car starts the ECU needs to keep feeding the signal to the relay.
I suspect that this isnĀ“t happening because the car dies as soon as the fuel pressure gets too low.

By accelerating you only make the fuel pressure drop even quicker.

To confirm this theory attach a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and start the car. If the fuel pressure drops the you know what is happening.
05-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Abby
staat je timing goed. ik heb een keer per ongeluk de ontsteking een halve slag verkeerd gemonteerd. de auto starte toen ook gewoon liep een paar seconden en viel toen ook uit.
mischien dat je daar wat mee kan?

toyota corolla coupe 1985 drift car
toyota corolla coupe 1987 road car.
Find all posts by this user
05-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Abby
ola!

@slowboy2:

Good point, I'll also try to check the mechanical timings to the best of my ability Big Grin (although that'll probably be a bit of hit and miss, but I'll give it a try)

@gon:

Hmm, I'd need a second hand with that, I'll see what I can do (don't have a fuel pressure gauge at the moment). I'll check the wiring at the least. Sounds like a good point to look at too.

05-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Abby
Ok, checked basic timing settings (marks lined up at TDC, set at 0, forgot to check dizzy though)

Went through most of the TCCS checklists as good as I could. No problems detected at the ECU. Engine starts, idles for a bit, starves to death.

So it seems on the surface that you're spot on Gon. I'll try to see whether I can find someone in the neighbourhood with a fuel pressure gauge. Would make it easier I guess to pinpoint it a bit better.

05-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Abby
OR just connect the fuel pump to 12v directly and see if it will stay running that way.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
08-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Abby
So, after hmmm, like 3 months I finally got some time to check the car. First things I thought I'd do was clean up the ignition cables (I didn't like all the grease marks on the nice red trd wires Smile ) and started checking out the cabling.

Couldn't really find anything, checked grounds, checked for spark... all looked good.

For the fun of it, I just fired up the engine and before it got time to die I gave it full throttle... to my surprise the tacho climbed to 2k rpm. Rather shakily though. Played with the throttle a bit, could lift it higher and higher, just to let the rpm's hover around 1.5k-2k... finally the engine started to respond a bit to the throttle and started to rev up to 5k.

So, when I lifted the throttle completely, the idle rpm dropped to around 5-600... which is, not enough. Twiddled the idle screw up to 800.

Now: engine fires up, idles, revs, works..... took the car out of the shed for a short spin around the yard...... all good.

Here is one happy camper Hurray! (and my cheeks are starting to hurt from the enormous grin on my face Big Grin)

09-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Abby
Failed MOT today on 2 points:
- tires worn/dried up (needed new ones anyway, so they'll be replacede Getting winter tires Tongue)
- front brake lines worn out. Will be replaced as well.

Should be ok tomorrow Big Grin \o/ so no real big mechanical/engine issues. Stoked Big Grin