Abby
09-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Abby
Cavey,

Those o'rings you can buy at any hardware store, I got a set of all different sizes for a couple of euros at Brezan or something, they come in handy all of the time. Usually when you walk into a Toyota dealer and ask they give you a couple for free, esp if you're a customer and they know you tinker around with a cool car Smile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
09-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Abby
grin, yeah, walked over to the toyo dealer and they just gave me a ring, no problem at all.

I had no idea what kind of ring I needed at first, but these are cheap to come by, and indeed always come in handy. Gotta stock up on them Big Grin

Didn't need a new one in the end, since there was no extra leakage detected on the cardboard I had under the engine bay, so I'm pretty happy about a somewhat messy, but nice to do job, oil change Big Grin

Now I just have another item on my wishlist >_< oil-filter-relocation-kit. Groan Banging head

Probably normal for AE86-owners to suffer from feature creep? Yummie!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Abby]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Abby
not only AE86 owners, ALL car enthusiasts have that Wink

That's why i have 2 sheds full of stuff and still packages are on it's way to me from Japan Tongue

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
10-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Abby
grmbl, my car has developed some engine troubles (clicking/ticking noise).

Started when I pulled up from a traffic light. Some bang, followed by the clicking/ticking noise. Eased her home on the b-roads around here where I was just about to have some rpm fun Crying

The noise starts around 2000 rpm, under load. Idling is very rough, and sometimes just stalls. When clutch is pressed, there's is a slight "tinkling" when revving.

I have no idea where to start looking, but proooooobably under the valve covers, and probably some bearings. Don't know. Not enough experience for this.

Long live youtube, my engine sounds a bit like this guy's 20V:

and his related movies do not bode well for my 16V bluetop Crying

10-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Abby
remove the head and see if the pistons are ok! Was the engine using oil ?

In some of the worst cases this could be the problem:

- crankshaft bearings
- rod bearings
- piston dead

The head could not really mess a whole lot up. You should notice some wierd stuff on the engine. (oil usage or something)

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
08-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Abby
Blast from the past, not having much time'n'stuff, brought my car back to the dealer couple of months ago. Was promised to be called within the week with someone who could speak dutch (my french sucks Tongue)

Anyways, made a phonecall today, finally got hold of the owner. End verdict about my engine: 1 cylinder lost compression due to a broken piston-ring.

Possibilities:

a) replace piston, get engine ported, lots of money
b) swap engines

So, ehmz, anyone got a running/working 4AGE around trimmed for RWD available? So I can get the engines swapped and have my old engine fixed in slow-time?

Cheers,

Gerald

08-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Abby
hey, just replace the pistons. will cost you 4 times new piston and honing. and done.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
03-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Abby
Ola!

Long time ago, got a replacement engine and a new exhaust system.

4age

janspeed detail

T50 + janspeed exhaust

Brought the engine to the garage where my ae86 was waiting for some guarantee fix, so now it's just engine swap Smile

Currently working on cleaning out the exhaust. Steel brush, probably have to sand it down a bit too and put on some heat resistant paint.
Try to get the exhaust pipes fixed up a bit, they're rather rusty, and don't really slide that well in to each other (and it's been hammered down a bit). Will post some pictures of in between work and overal state of the exhaust.

Ah well, with a bit of elbow grease I should have the exhaust nicely painted black in a couple of weeks and get the car back with a replacement engine.

The old engine I'll be turning into a sloooooooooooooow rebuild project.

03-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Abby
nice, only a bit rusty exaust

http://bruutt.blogspot.nl/
Projects: Lancer evo 4 rs, ae86 drifter, carina ta60 4a-ge & ae82gt twin cam..
04-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Abby
Yeah, started with brushing the exhaust, that didn't really help all that much. Tried sanding it down a bit today with a rotoflex on a drill, but I think I'll have to get a steelbrush unit for a drill (of een haakse slijptol unit fixen). Otherwise progress is reeeeeeeal slow to remove most of the rust. And it's pitted like crazy Sad