AW11??
10-18-2006, 02:53 AM
AW11??
I have the opportunity to score an 87 AW11 with tvis redtop(?) in relatively good condition. no rust, and the interior is pretty nice. only damage is the drivers seat where normal wear and tear happens. I would have to sell my mustang to buy this car for space reasons. Anyone have one or have opinions on it? I'm torn... Sad

1971 Ford Mustang
1984 Hachi-Roku

http://www.club4ac.com
slowest AE86 club on the net Smile
Find all posts by this user
10-18-2006, 09:15 AM
AW11??
Hmmm, comparing a mustang to an MR2?!?! Whow thats apples and well cows I guessBig Grin

AW11's if rust free are amazing cars. Just like the hachi their #1 enemy is rust, these were still make in a time Toyota did not rustproof their cars to well. But technically they are as good if not better then the Hachi and won't let you down. The only trouble with the MR layout is that you need to take extra care the cooling is working 100% because you can't rely on driving wind to cool your engine extra, but that goes for all MR cars.

As for practicality, the MR2 is a totally impractical car. Its got two seats and next to no luggage space. You can take your girl out on a trip and thats about it. Forget about a night out with your mates unless they come in their own cars and you'll find yourself making multiple trips to the shipping mall or lending your dads car if you need to buy anything big (or take the hachi Big Grin ).

That said, driving the MR2 is pure sex. Especially the MKI which is such a great car. Thing was designed by Lotus and it shows Big Grin Now I don't know if they screwed with the suspention in the US like they always doWink and you'll prolly want to go for some new springs and shocks anyways but these cars are great sports cars.

For me, if they weren't so damn impractical, I would have an MR2 in my garage next to my Hachi as they are my 2nd favorite Toyota.

(that compared to the mustang being just plain cool. Depends a bit on which model you have. American Muscle cars never did get much status here as we don't have to many straight roads and they often suck on our bendy tiny streets)

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
10-18-2006, 09:17 AM
AW11??
The aw11 is a beautiful car, however it suffers from the same thing as the hachiroku: rust. Since you can buy a rustfree example you are very lucky. Smile
Does it also have the targa roof? If so it should be the Kouki aw11. Smile

However, if I were to choose between an aw11 and a musting, living in the US (low fuel prices) I'd definetly would choose the mustang. Yummie!

Edit: I see Mux also responded about the same as I did Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AW11??]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-18-2006, 05:36 PM
AW11??
How attached are you to the mustang? If it doesnt hold much sentimental value, why not go for the AW11, otherwise just stick with it.
AW11's are pretty weird to drive when you're used to ae86. Feels like a board with wheels on it, they probably are fun when you have a good one, and good looking to. Repairing anything in bad condition on these cars is a nightmare though, rust is the usual hassle, but working on the engine is a challenge in that little compartment.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-18-2006, 05:49 PM
AW11??
Mux gave you some very good info there. Thumbs up!
But there is some luggage space behind the engine, even a bit more than my SW20. :wink:
I think AW11's are really great cars.
There very fun to drive and they got great handling. Thumbs up!

Toyota MR2 2.0 16V Gen3 Turbo
Toyota MR2 1.6 16V
Toyota Corolla GTZ Twincam 1.6 16V (AE86) (Sold. Crying )
Toyota Corolla GT Twincam 1.6 16V (My new project Smile )
10-18-2006, 06:15 PM
AW11??
Well in regards to gas prices, gas is around $2.50 usd at my house and I get about 3 km/l in it. Haha. I've built it from the ground up, but since the hachi, I find the enormous body roll to be a pain in the @ss. Sure it great for rice hunting Evil and picking up girls but I really don't enjoy driving it any more. If an aw11 can get around 13 km/l then I'll be saving tons of money on 1.gas 2.oil because the mustang burns a quart of oil per tank of gas... and 3. I wont have to lug all my friends around. Big Grin thanks for the info guys!

1971 Ford Mustang
1984 Hachi-Roku

10-20-2006, 11:35 PM
AW11??
I got around 13 kilometer per liter when i drove my mr2 (YES DROVE Sad )This month the mot of the car ended and i planned on selling it, but right now i'm having doubts again.

I don't have too much racing experience but now i'm driving my mother's car (a nissan sunny) and it sucks big time compared to the aw11.I sometimes drive my brothers ae86 but it is completely different from the aw11, you can feel that the ae86 has weight on the front which the aw11 almost doesnt have.

I never drove a stock aw11 though, mine is equipped with koni springs and shocks.The steering is very light compared to the ae86 and corners are a lot of fun with this car especially those high-speed corners on the highway (don't think they have those in america).When i pushed the car over the limits it usually understeered.as i said i'm not a pro Tongue

Working in the engine room isn't really handy but it isn't as impossible as you would think.I had to repair the head gasket once and thats when i noticed that all nuts and bolts are very accesible, they probably thought about it well while designing it.

Real men race downhill
10-21-2006, 07:02 AM
AW11??
well I bought it. Its amazing. I love driving it. the tvis works perfectly. I love feeling that boost right around 4000 RPM. although I rear ended someone on the way home from the dealership... Crying I still love driving it more than I ever imagined. thanks for the input. I'll post up some pictures of the AE86 and the AW11 playing soon enough.

1971 Ford Mustang
1984 Hachi-Roku

10-21-2006, 09:53 AM
AW11??
AW11 is a cool car! I used to have one too. What a grip and what a huge fun it is when you learn to lift off oversteering it! Hurray!

But be carefull! Unlike a FR car, the AW11 is very trickey when you drive it on the limit. Tankslappers are heavy to control..

Ow, and use every day the E-brake a few times. They are known to jam if they're not used often. I didnt menaged to loosen up the cables, so I should have replaced the cables. I sold the whole car! Confused

Have fun with it and again, be carefull on the limits with that car!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

No more Panda..
Tricolor bastard!

If it 'aint broke, fix it 'til it is
10-21-2006, 11:16 AM
AW11??
Wouter, should you decide to sell your car, and it's in reasonably good shape then send me a pm, I have a friend that's interested in buying one.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!